sgiitk

Petrol v Diesel

40km a day means 12,000 to 15,000 km a year. This is still (in my opinion) petrol territory.

However, an old Octavia in prime condition with its better image, given that the bulk of the depreciation has been  borne by someone else looks a good bet. Just check on the maintenance costs, since diesels are far less forgiving in this regard.

We seem to be deviating a bit from the topic, but based on the recent responses do we agree that Petrol engines are relatively better in terms of smoothness, refinement and cabin noise levels compared to their diesel counterparts taking into consideration the recent advancements in both engines?

Diesel engines on the other hand provide much better acceleration at lowe speeds compared to petrol engines and will provide cost benefits above 1500 kms per month, though they will be relatively noisy and less smooth and refined compared to their petrol counterparts.

We seem to be deviating a bit from the topic' date=' but based on the recent responses do we agree that Petrol engines are relatively better in terms of smoothness, refinement and cabin noise levels compared to their diesel counterparts taking into consideration the recent advancements in both engines?

Diesel engines on the other hand provide much better acceleration at lowe speeds compared to petrol engines and will provide cost benefits above 1500 kms per month, though they will be relatively noisy and less smooth and refined compared to their petrol counterparts.

[/quote']

Wth recent turbo Crdi Engines the Diesel gives the best Fuel Economy when compared with the petrol and  the Engine sound is quite improved but not as silent as Petrol

and the running Costs benifit Coms for Over 1300 Kms and not 1500 kms

regards,

Priya

yes...

the modern day diesel engines give economy as well as arefun to drive.the high torque available will make overtaking and all a breeze. but in most of the diesel engines, turbo lag is there, at low rpms, which make it less comfortable to ride around in town

Before going overboard about the torque, just remember that most diesel engined cars have a 'taller' final gearing as compared to their petrol siblings. This is done to compensate for the lower rev limit. So the torque advantage gets whittled down by the same ratio.smiley2.gif

Before going overboard about the torque' date=' just remember that most diesel engined cars have a 'taller' final gearing as compared to their petrol siblings. This is done to compensate for the lower rev limit. So the torque advantage gets whittled down by the same ratio.smiley2.gif

[/quote']

yes.. you are right... sgiitk...

but even then, most of the deiesels are good highway munchers too...

but the turbo lag makes it cumbersome.. to drive in town...

actually i was checking out skoda octavia old one and my usage is something like 40 km per day what do u suggest 

a petrol then go for the Honda city Zx

or the VTec?

Yes Either the City IDSI or the Vtec but afterall it shuold be a city

regards' date='

prya
[/quote']

by the way i already have a city zx so that wont work for me.

As far as modern diesel engines go, the maintenance costs are very little and very similar to petrol. If one pays a lakh extra for the diesel versus the petrol, you can recover 50k in fuel savings over a period of 3 years, even if you drive just 25-30kms a day and the balance 50k when you sell the car. In my opinion even if you drive 25-30 kms a day, diesel is more economical considering city traffic conditions, where petrol cars give very less mileage. Another aspect is the re-sale value, diesel cars will fetch you much more than their petrol siblings.

Even i am planning to go in for a Diesel vehicle preferably the Sumo Grande, many people have told me it is better than petrol. But will i get the same performance from petrol when compared to diesel.

As far as modern diesel engines go' date=' the maintenance costs are very little and very similar to petrol. If one pays a lakh extra for the diesel versus the petrol, you can recover 50k in fuel savings over a period of 3 years, even if you drive just 25-30kms a day and the balance 50k when you sell the car. In my opinion even if you drive 25-30 kms a day, diesel is more economical considering city traffic conditions, where petrol cars give very less mileage. Another aspect is the re-sale value, diesel cars will fetch you much more than their petrol siblings.[/quote']

You are not incuding in the higher routine maintenance costs like more frequent oil changes, air filter changes (diesels gulp in far more air), NVH issues, and others (for example the battery alone is about double the size). It is true the repair costs are similar for the engine. But what about the more heavily stressed suspension, etc. Also, if you pay 1L extra the finance will add about 13k per annum. You vector these in and you hit the 15-20km pa mark.

Agree with you sgiittk that diesel cars have more maintenance issues, but these days modern diesel cars like the swift diesel, and may be the punto etc would not leave the owner with hefty service bills.

Also on the suspension being worn out, the suspension on a diesel car is tuned to meet the extra weight. Yeah, it doesnt actually make sense to go in for a diesel if you drive just 10-20 kms per day and if you dont do any long runs at all.

But the real issue is that petrol cars are not at all efficient in the city traffic conditions. Even base cars like alto, santro return less than 12kmpl in the city due to the traffic moving at snail's pace.

well i have an accent crdi it's engine mounting broke because of a very heavy engine........ heard even the verna has this prob.....

Pretty sad hyundai uses the same engine mounting for petrol and diesel vehicles......

Have you seen the Swift Diesel over 100,000 km or for that matter the Punto? I am a sceptic? Have seen an Esteem run for over 400,000 km without an overhaul. Even the lowly M800 does over 100,000 km before requiring an overhaul.

As for mileage in city driving it is well known that the consumption is a stronger function fo time than distance!

Most modern diesels are not that heavy on pocket in maintenance ,It might be close to 1.5-2times on maintenance compared to petrol but the fuel efficiency and diesel price make up for it .The benefit of petrol being faster is also old story with the CRDIs.Overall diesel is a better option.

If you do sufficient mileage to offset the 1.5-2x higher maintenance cost as stated by Viva3969, and the higher initial cost , then the only plus for the petrol is the NVH issue.We all know that a diesel is inherently more efficient than a petrol. The price differential is bound to narrow down with time (it is  differential taxation). In the UK, Switzerland and Germany (not 100% sure here) Diesel is marginally costlier than Petrol.

I will like to see more cases of the longevity of the Swift Diesel - A lone swallow does not a summer make! The Indica diesel is well known to have a typical engine life of 40,000 - 60,000 km.

@everyone: sorry I joined the party a little late, but this is one of my favorite topics, so kindly bear with me :)

We've all been talking left-brain so far: so much torque and this much reliability and which one is cheaper to run and maintain.

Where's the soul in diesels? If - and that's a very big IF - you chance upon a patch of smooth, twisty, flowing, empty road, would you pick (say) your diesel Swift with the torquey turbo, or the Swift petrol with the higher powerband? If you think you might want more power in the future but the same car, which one would you buy?

I've no doubt that we all like diesels primarily because we are reminded every day at the pump that we're paying less. They are in no way clean compared to petrols, and anyone who says so, show me the particulate filter in YOUR diesel at the same price as the petrol's. What I would really like to know is, would you choose the diesel over the petrol if they both cost the same; to buy, run and maintain? Would you suffer the petrol through traffic on the off chance that you might find a good, open road, or would you rather pick the diesel with its everyday friendliness?

I agree and disagree with you Charles. Sure I'd like a petrol to really enjoy the revs. But in everyday driving, the wave of torque, less number of shifts and the cheaper fuel just do it for me. The heart says petrol but mind says diesel, much like heart saying manual transmission and mind wanting an automatic.

PS: Which is why I also drive a vtec on the weekends.

FRG
FuelRunGod2008-02-01 06:54:15

At the risk of repeating myself diesels are far more driveable than petrols apart from better mileage in my opinion they are cheaper to maintain as well. The big problem we have in India is the diesel supplied is not at all up to the mark hence we have so much smoke from the tailpipe