sgiitk

Petrol v Diesel

What I would really like to know is' date=' would you choose the diesel over the petrol if they both cost the same; to buy, run and maintain? Would you suffer the petrol through traffic on the off chance that you might find a good, open road, or would you rather pick the diesel with its everyday friendliness?

[/quote']

At the present cost of petrol and diesel cars, I would prefer a mid-size diesel car even if diesel and petrol prices were same. The primary reason being more mileage and cheaper cost of cars compared to petrol to get the same power and torque. If turbo charged petrol cars become as cheap as turbo charged diesel cars and if petrol and diesel prices become same, I would be in a dilema between power (petrol) and mileage (diesel).

Cleanliness is debatable subject. Both petrol and diesel emit different harmful residues. It is a matter of which particle is cosidered more harmful, which we are no expert and rely on a bunch of experts and hypocrites like some environmentalists to tell us which one is more harmful.

Torque yes, power no. Also, since diesels run a higher gearing (lower pear rpm) the torque at the wheel will have to be corrected for the final gearing - which makes them less attractive.

What about Higher initial cost, NVH, and Turbo Lag. Probably mpl is the sum all  for many of you, who will all make a beeline for the Diesel Nano.

What about Higher initial cost' date=' NVH, and Turbo Lag. Probably mpl is the sum all  for many of you, who will all make a beeline for the Diesel Nano.

[/quote']

Initial cost of turbo charged petrol cars are more than turbo charged diesel cars. NVH is comparable as far as I have read. I have not driven a turbo charged petrol car to know the difference from its diesel counterpart. What difference it makes whether people like you make a beeline for petrol Nano or people like me make a beeline for the Diesel Nano? Well, I will not buy a diesel Nano for sure. I just said for the sake of answering your manner. Sorry guys, I never intended to use the words like "people like you" until I was confronted with one.

The NVH on Turbocharged petrols is lower than turbo-diesels. The base engine itself is smoother. We have the Octavia RS as an example in India.

Also, I am not one for whom mpl is God so I am not a candidate for the Nano - Petrol or Diesel or whatever! Life includes many small pleasures, a nice quiet smooth car is one of them!

Incidentally read my post - where is 'people like you'. I said 'for many of you' definitely a non-all inclusive statement as you make it out to be.

Incidentally read my post - where is 'people like you'. I said 'for many of you' definitely a non-all inclusive statement as you make it out to be.

In that case, my apology to you too. I probably misinterpreted.

Post of kikuma25 in What is wrong with the Hyundai Tucson?

I bought a Hyundai Tucson two years back. It started off

with excellent pick up, silken-smooth engine, but three months back the

pick up has gone to the dogs and the engine clatter is deafeaning!

Hyundai

service stations assure me this is normal behavior for a diesel engine,

conveniently ignoring the fact that the Tucson is not priced like any

other diesel soft roader!

Does anyone know if this is indeed

common behavior with Hyundai diesel engines? How about the Toyota

Innova? Is that any better after two years?

New vehicles are of

course excellent. Question is how these diesels behave after some use?

Now that these cars have been around in India for a few years, I am

hoping some of you have personal experiences to share.

Fundamental

question is are "diesel" and "high end" mutually exclusive terms? Has

any company managed to build a "high end diesel" that actually lasts

for , say, 10 years?

This post from another thread should make some of the newer dieselheads look up and take notice. It is true that truck diesels last forever. It is equally true that car diesels tend to have a far shorter life.

What is the prime benefit of petrol is flatout perfomance. Are we going to drive the cars in tracks?

Petrol cars are not durable like Diesels. Diesel scores in resale values too. Hatsoff to diesels

Personally have never used a diesel car because of the common negative things associated with a diesel, so still prefer petrol. Plus it easier to tune and modify petrol cars for performance which I like doing to my cars. Also with an annual running of around 10,000kms, diesels don't make sense with the economics.

Diesel has become the name of the game, these days. And with the modern Common Rail Diesels, they have require less maintianence. Diesels have more torque compared to Petrols , thus require less gear changes which converts in to higher fuel efficeincy.

With CRUDE touching 150$ per barrel, it makes perfect sense to go for a diesel.

Also diesel engines have more life than a pertrol one.

Finally, the resale value will be higher for a diesel car.

Even I feel the heat of petrol these days with just 15km per day its getting on the nerve especially when in peak hour the car speeds drop to 5kmph and full AC what milege can you expect .

I don't know but the price of swift zxi shot up by 25k and now it coincides with the vdi ABS I was to book the car today (zxi copper) but some how my dad liked the practicality of DZire but it 1 lakhs expensive with 6 months waiting and also the diesel economy and in gear accleration is good .Well now he like the Dzire and have booked the Vxi one but why isn't there any option of ABS in that ? Also it just booked dealer gave us 10 days to figure either to go for vdi or vxi (now the blue colour) the diesel gap will increse fast.

not vdi due to low running also I am still demanding the swift because I hate the dzire looks .My delivery will be in 2nd week in december lots of time but maruti had 16day + 5% intrest money back poilcy so I can save 80k   .650k x 5% x 0.5 

yes, unless rssh has paid the entire 650K amount for booking smiley4.gif. However even in that case the interest amount comes to 16K and not 80K as calculated by rssh... so you may like to rethink on the financials

Well first doubt is whether a diesel or petrol and another is what the % of money return (its 5% on booking amount) I have paid 600k (a loan of 200k from bank).

in newspaper it was 12/24%(dont remember exactly) on booking amount that too after 15/16 days of booking...it was even with Sx4 & Swift DDis sometime back when there was lot of waiting period on these cars..

Hey what about the Moot question is the Diesel engine vehicle preferable over the petrol engine when the cost is nearly the same say about 4-50K only difference.

What is the average life of the diesel engine compared to petrol engine.

My driver says ( Diesel Mahindra Govt. Jeep) that the only major cost that comes in deisel engines after some years is the change in piston ring which costs varying from vehicle to vehicle about 2-4000 rs.

He gave example of buses and jeeps how ever bad they may be they keep running.... proof of the power of diesel engines.

Please some one explain and advice. I researched the Ford Ikon Diesel and Petrol are differing in cost about 50k but the mileage and performance is different. My running is about 25-30 kms. per day and I plan to keep it for atleast 7-8 yrs. so which will be better buy.

I was in the same dilemma too, before buying my first car,,some times you never know how much you are gonna drive per day..i predicted that I may drive 25-30 kms a day and the monthly 400km highway run and went for the diesel..my dzire VDI was about 80k more expensive than the petrol variant..but I have driven 15k in a year, meaning 1200kms per month, which is justified..you see i have just gone for some 4-5 highway trips..but on a daily basis i just drive 30kms, which is normal if you live in a city like bangalore..i get a mileage of about 14-15 which is very good in snail speed traffic conditions.. i figure that the extra 80k i spent will be recoverd in a span of 4 years and to top it off, the re-sale will be much better atleast 70-80k more..and the maintenance is not a big difference..my friend owns a swift vdi and after 2 yrs and 45000kms, he has hardly spent anything other than the regular service bills of 2000k average..

I really wonder how some of you manage your petrol cars in terms of mo nthly fuel expenses if you are driving 30-40kms a day and more so if you have a sedan or a big hatch..no offence here...but just wondering!