sgiitk

Petrol v Diesel

Same thing I thought when i was taken my santro, i was estimated monthly arround 600 km to 700 km.... but my reading is now 20 months 38500 km.

As per this i am looking for good fine tuned engine of diesel. I found fiat is having excellent disel engines with on low rpm high torque which is help me for city driving and overtaking....

still i felt go with deisel having low maintanance and fine tuned engines..

What is the average life of the diesel engine compared to petrol engine.

My driver says ( Diesel Mahindra Govt. Jeep) that the only major cost that comes in diesel engines after some years is the change in piston ring which costs varying from vehicle to vehicle about 2-4000 rs.

Your driver is hardly qualified to comment on the modern diesel engines. They are durable, quieter than these old warriers, and immensely better. But they are more complicated as well. No doubt that and diesels engines are economical in terms of fuel costs. Typically, about 20% better consumption on top of diesel being much cheaper.

On the other hand diesels are more expensive to buy, and even though the frequency of maintenance  is about the same, the costs tend to be substantially higher. Also, diesels may require more frequent (and costlier) serving. Diesels engines are inherently more complicated, with more internal stresses on the components. Also, by and large petrol engines ar quieter, smoother, and have a far more linear power delivery.

As for the distance you drive, it can be estimated with a fair degree of accuracy (say +- 15%) by those who have been driving for a long time.

Just back from a long trip to OOTY, hence the delay in joining into this topic. After first three petrollers, I could not wait to get a diesel vehicle, not after doing any economics. But, just for the heck of it. Wanna try to see why Diesels are so popular, even though my usage is very low. After Premier Padmini, Omni and Esteem (all petrol), I wanted a big car (and most of the big cars come in Diesel). And, I bought XYLO, because it is big, because it is Diesel (and I am not bothered with the economics, as of now). But, I am sure, many may be like me who want to test Diesels, having had one or more petrol vehicles earlier. I can say that my XYLO Diesel is equally efficient (with more noice), more reliable (for longer drives) and more powerful than .... (I tend to compare with my previous three vehicles only ....).

The bottom line is I am very happy for having both variants. In this part of AP, we usually have petrol bunks putting either a NO PETROL or a NO DIESEL boards quite often. In such a scenario, having two variants helps a lot.

smiley3.gif i-VTEC engines powering honda are considered to be good performance engines and have claimed premium prices.

But it is a shame to know the fact that none of honda's i-VTEC cars(jazz, city, civic, accord(2.4), and cr-v) can match an ordinary indica vista quadrajet's 20-80km/hr in 3rd gear time of 11.79 seconds.

And even the quadrajet's fuel economy is better.

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">

Bhai.....the vista quadrajet uses a diesel engine called Multijet which displaces 1.3L. Like every other diesel engine, it is also much more torqier than any petrol engine we have in the country..be it the ivtec....Diesel engine offers better fuel economy than a petrol engine....

First of all, I am wondering why am I writing a post in this kiddish thread in which a diesel engine is being compared with a petrol one.......I quit..!!!!

Hi Nim12esh,

I fully agree with you, I joined this forum only today, coming from an automotive world ; I have come across some threads that have inputs which indicate the lack of knowledge of the fundamentals, but guess that is OK, we can bring folks up to speed, you really should not quit smiley1.gif

Regards

smiley3.gif i-VTEC engines powering honda are considered to be good performance engines and have claimed premium prices.

But it is a shame to know the fact that none of honda's i-VTEC cars(jazz' date=' city, civic, accord(2.4), and cr-v) can match an ordinary indica vista quadrajet's 20-80km/hr in 3rd gear time of 11.79 seconds.

And even the quadrajet's fuel economy is better.

[/quote']

Why on earth are you comparing a diesel to a petrol????? I just dont get the idea of this thread ( I guess nor do yousmiley36.gif)

@ROYM5 :

Baseless Topic started. Dude, a lot many Honda lovers out here. Dont take risks.. ;)

I-vtec is the most advanced engine till date. Go and google for it. wikipedia should answer you. kindly donot spam on aci forums. CYRUS432009-09-21 20:16:34

comparing i-vtec to a quadrajet diesel is like comparing chalk and cheese. The characteristics of a petrol are totally different from a diesel engine. So, it does not make sense to compare the power and fuel efficiency of the two cars/engines.

Ideally, you should be comparing the honda city with the Fiesta, Verna, SX4 petrol models and the Jazz with the petrol i20, Fabia, Fusion and so on.

Contrary to popular belief, I think this is an interesting topic to debate on.

Diesel engines were always considered to be crude economic and cheap to run. Basically workhorses. Some people have gone so far as to say that Diesel is Satan's Fuel. [:-)]

Petrol engines on the other hand were supposed to be for real drivers.

But today though, The tide seems to be swinging in the diesel's Favor. A Diesel engine keeping up with a petrol engine is not something we thought we would see ten years ago, but today, Diesel is outpowering Petrol in all forms.

For more proof, check out the V10 Diesel Audi engined car that won thr LeMAns title a few years ago.

indica vista quadrajet's 20-80km/hr in 3rd gear time of 11.79 seconds. And even the quadrajet's fuel economy is better

May be only in 20-80km/hr in 3rd gear time Quadrajet or mjd will win, at all other instances it should be V-Tec.

There is nothing wrong roy, since you are a newbie, you need to learn a lot like diesel's torque, powerbands, turbo kicking in,..etc which will eventually answer your question

Lets not compare Multijet to Vtec here and turn it into Fiat vs Honda thread. Lets do a general study.

As of now there are only two modern diesel engines available to common man. One is the multijet, the other being Hyundai's 1.4 CRDi. while both of them are good in their own right, but I would still prefer a petrol engine. Modern diesels ought to be compare with modern petrols in this regard. Here in India we have three modern units, 1.2 Kappa, 1.2 K series, and 1.2 iVtec and also the 1.5 iVtec. The smoothness or these engines are not questionable espescially the suzuki and the Honda.

While Diesel engines have improved a lot and have come a long way, there is still way to go, because while diesel tech. is improving petrol tech. is also advancing and everyday we are seeing new tech. like the TSi so the bar is being raised everytime.

From an engineers point of view, a diesel engine has more moving parts, therefore more tendency of things needing repair and costlier service, so I would prefer a petrol engine.

From the view of environment, petrols have lesser footprint on the environment.