Kinshuk

Modernising a Fiat 1100D!!

Spent almost 3hrs with my Fiat 1100D which got me thinking - how about modernising the mechanicals -

1. Drivetrain - custom lightweight flywheel, driveshaft, axles, differetial etc...

2. Brakes - entire system replacement so as to have front discs and rear drums or better discs on all four.

Before I get deeper into my flight of fantasy, have a few questions

1. Is this practically possible?

2. Would it be possible to do this whilst retaining the engine and gearbox?

Your answers are:

1. My Uncle has done similar kind of mod with their Fiat after having above sort of demands. 

They've replaced its Original engine with that of MS Old-Gypsy's 1000cc(=970cc) engine with its Gearbox too but with 4WD ratios removed.

Externally It was visible as Floor Mounted gear in the Cabin(instead of Steering Coloum mounted Fiat's).

And result of all this, Fiat with very Smooth & Refined drivetrain, alongwith Improved Fuel Efficiency, Power, Pick-up, Handling(with lighter engine in the bonnet) & Very Silent Exhaust Note-Typical Gypsy-like.

2. Brakes can also be altered too, An easy & practical method is to convert them into Power Brakes, i.e: by Adding the Brake Assistance mechanism to the Stock system.

Kinshuk :

Cyrus is the best person to tell you more about this.

I will request you to post some pictures and keep this thread alive. I guess you will get a good response. There are a lot of fiat lovers here.

Dr_nishu: Im not looking to replace the engine. This is not an everyday use vehicle, all im looking for is to modernise bit and pieces so that she's still driveable say 10 yrs from now - when the spares become non-existent. I want her to last at least my lifetime - which to be very optimistic is another 40-50 years!

Also, adding booster/power brake to existing setup is not an option, Im specifically looking at discs (which will mean that I add a booster as the working pressure for drum and discs is different). Another issue which comes to mind - if I add discs to the front and have drums in the rear - i will need a pressure reducer for the drums otherwise the pads will wear out too soon. So presume the best option would be to have discs all round!

sb_alto: I posted this query for two reasons -

1. as I was and still am curious about the issues mentioned but

2. also as recently there have been too many threads which simply lack common sense and the old flavour of the forum had/has been missing.

As far as pics go had posted the entire process when I got her repainted had put up pics (older posts got deleted).

(I am getting excellent response at another forum)Kinshuk2010-05-30 19:39:34

@Kinshuk - I personally would want to do a complete paint job (in a paint booth) and make the car as rust proof as possible.

Don't change parts - robs the car of its originality. I haven't even fitted alternators in my fiats. Still run the dynamo based electrical system. You could change to an alternator if you use the car very less and still have a battery in it full time.

A few pics of my car...

358009d1275195014-modernising-fiat-1100d

358010d1275195014-modernising-fiat-1100d

@Dtandon: already have alternator installed. I will not under any circumstances be looking to change the physical appearance. Just the mechanical bits.

Someone on another forum commented that getting a disc setup would mean altering the suspension too! From what I know only things beyond the spindle will have to be changed and a pressure booster & reducer (for rear drums) will have to be added on...any thoughts on this?

Kinshuk nice to look at your car again. I hope you will keep it as original as possible without in any way changing the original engine, transmission, suspension and even electricals.

You apprehend you may not get the spares in future but my experience says you will get them even after 40 years.

Fiat 1100D's have sold more than a lakh between 1964-70 and look at my good old car. I get spares of my 1955 Landmaster even now, but have to search nooks and crannies in metros.And only about 11500 Landmasters  were sold between 1954-57 by HM.

Classic cars look the best  and win appreciation if kept original.

@Anjan: Thanks for the kind words! You've raised a good point but the thought of not getting spares does scare me at times! but rest assured I will not change the engine, transmission etc... that is untill I can keep them working and get spares.

When I took her out last Saturday I was getting the kind of looks from people which simply make you forget the 40 deg heat! Loved every bit of that drive!

Why do you want to convert to disk brakes? Do you feel that the braking is ineffective? Get them checked. The original brakes work well enough (even at 120 km/hr speeds). What tyres do you have? Getting better tyres would be help improve stopping distances.

Our Fiats should meet :)

PS: The front metal sheet (behind the bumper) is from the S1. Why was this changed?

@dtandon: jammed wheels! everytime they jam have to get the shoes shaved a bit. Otherwise they work just fine, very confidence inspiring!! Tyres are old MRF ones - tread's still there but they're old and cracking - need new tyres.

Absolutely, next time youre in Lko, let me know we can meet & exchange notes whilst our cars can 'hang-out' LOL!!

The front S1 is a bit of alteration I had done in 1995...had just passed ICSE and as a 'reward' for scoring a good %, my grandfather allowed me to get the car overhauled as I liked. The latest in a PP at that time was that piece of metal which look cool to the teenager in me - so out went the plain looking center piece and in came the new one. Spent the whole summer vacation getting the car re-done and the result was fantastic - every one thought its a new PP with old reg! The front windows were also modified at that time - but I had all the old parts stored properly.

Getting the shoes shaved is not a solution to the jamming problem. I suspect that your brakes need a look see ( seem to be mis-adjusted to make the brake pedal have very less free play).

This might be causing them to jam often. One of my fiats is driven only once in 6 months but the brakes never jam.

@Kinshuk, <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Your PP is really in very Good Shape even now with Superb looking Paint Job, juss liked it.. smiley27.gif<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

& Regarding mechanicals:

Possibly, You may not get the Tailor-made performance parts for it in today's-era, but the Best & the Smartest solution for it is to,

-1st, Try to take out some time for her(as you've done in 1995, even as per you Fri-Sat seems to be sufficient).

-2nd, Look each & every nook of the car & its parts which are not in,

Good shape/condition or

Which needs Replaced with the Original ones or

Which can Actually be replaced with the newer & advanced ones(like changed front metal sheet changed,etc) for its betterment.

-3rd, Go to Automotive Spare Parts market, Car Scrap dealers, etc to find/get the needed & Original or Better/Advanced parts of almost same dimesions/configurations, like Air Filters, Brake Discs, Boosters, etc.

And its Better, If you can do- Take the Expert Car Techincian/Mechanic with you, especially the known & Trusted one who can Spare that time with you to your help.

Gudluck.. 

@dr_nishu: Thanks but please note its a Fiat 1100Delight and not a PP! 1995 was student time, 2010 is professional time...cant spend 9-5 for 3 months on her!! But still weekends are enough to keep her in shape.

As reg spares, we do keep a tab on things in the scrap market but I dont need to take my mechanic along - who's just across the street from my place - he does the job for me! He's the 3rd generation who's looking after our cars - though now its down to just the Fiat & the M800.