Hello Everyone,

I am planning for an upgrade to my existing system. I dont have any budget but am looking for the cheapest and best ICE system with a Sub. I just need best bare minimum of everything. I have a 5 Yr Old Alto car.

Heres what i have finalised:

Head Unit

SONY --- CDX-GT494U

Speakers

JBL-GTO948 --OR-- Infinity Ref9633i

Amp

SONY --- XM-GTX6042 -OR- XM-GTX6022 -OR- JBL --- GTO1004

Subs

SONY --- XS-GTX1202L -OR - JBL --- GTO804

I am very confused when it comes to Amps and subs. The sub that i have selected has an input power rating of 300Watt (RMS/Continious), now the rear speakers have an input power rating of 100Watt (RMS), these are 400watt PMPO and 100 Watt RMS coaxials. Now considering front 4" speakers which are around 25Watt RMS, the total power needed by the system is 300+100+100+25+25 = 550 Watts (RMS). Now what Amp should be fine for it. I want the front 4" Speakers to be connected to the Head Unit but the reat Sub And Speakers shall be powered by the AMP (500 Watt).

Also the HU selected by me has "Front + Rear/Sub switchable" Pre Out (PreAmp Output). Higher models have "x2" Pre Out. Which one to go for, also what does "Front + Rear/Sub switchabl" mean, what is this switchable thing. Below is the Sony Xplod AMP Specifications:

XM-GTX6042

Channel Configuration

4/3-

Power Supply

MOSFET Power Supply

Maximum Output Power

150W

I am planning for an upgrade to my existing system. I dont have any budget but am looking for the cheapest and best ICE system with a Sub. I just need best bare minimum of everything. I have a 5 Yr Old Alto car.

Hey man ! If wanna bare cheap & best Music System, Just Try CONVEX-brand Head units, they are advertised at the back pages of AutocarIndia below the Car & Bike purchasing sections.

Even one of my friend uses it in his Wagon-R. It sounds good & plays only USB-Drives, i-POD & Memory cards, etc but not MP3/CDs.

They are damn cheap & will work just brilliantly with Good Quality Amplifier & Speakers. 

@rohitek,

I recently upgraded ICE on my SWIFT with sub and amplifier.

I choose JBL Amplifier GT5-S644 which is four channel and belive me its very good.

I needed little space on boot so I choose JBL Subwoofer CS-1204B which comes with tight bass and no air out in the box.

Amp costed 5800 and Sub around 5250.

Hope this will help you.

@Dr. Nishu

Thanks for the info dear, but i want the best bare minimum, dont want to compromise on quality and features but the lowest priced within the specific product.

@Mac Diesel

Thanks for the info, specially the price part!! smiley32.gif Helps me decide!

From what I know Sony India, ICE  for cars is not recommended by many. The grading for HU's is something like (1) Blaupunkt  (2) Pioneer (3) The rest of the pack Nippon (OE for Maruti and  Mahindra) Panasonic/JVC and so on with Sony trailing way behind.

And for speakers its again Blaupunkt and JBL next followed by the others.

For amplifiers JBL is quite OK.

I had discussed about ICE for my Scorpio in a forum where gurus had given me such advice almost in unison.

I have a Sony ICE (model XR4757 of 1998) in my Maruti 800, which is still doing a fantastic job with four compatible Sony speakers even till today. In 2009, I was about to go for Sony again, but was advised against by gurus who owed the decline due to quality problems (Sony India specific).

I had settled for the Blaupunkt Kingston which is to my liking now. I have no amplifier.

anjan_c20072010-05-31 15:46:28

Thanks for the info dear' date=' but i want the best bare minimum, dont want to compromise on quality and features but the lowest priced within the specific product.
[/quote']

Then Sony Xplod is the best.

I think now its CD/MP3 with USB, Aux-in range starts from Rs.3500-3800 only(without bill) & it comes will all other features too without any Quality Compromise.

The grading for HU's is something like (1) Blaupunkt  (2) Pioneer (3) The rest of the pack Nippon (OE for Maruti and  Mahindra) Panasonic/JVC and so on with Sony trailing way behind.
I was about to go for Sony again' date=' but was advised against by gurus who owed the decline due to quality problems (Sony India specific).
[/quote']

Don.t know what's the Actual grading is ! But i would probably place Sony above Pioneer but equal to JVC & personally I've experienced this after seeing all these HUs.

I'm using Sony Xplod 5510 model CD/MP3 player in my Alto from last 5-years with same Sony-Xplod branded speakers, they're all working just fine with not even single glitch faced so far from any of them.

Almost all of my friends are using Sony HUs from more than last 6-years, they all are satisfied with their Performance, Quality & Reliability.

Even some have also replaced their Pioneer HUs with the Sony Xplod ones.

Hello Subzero

Yes, i got a Alpine CDE-100EUB head unti and Alpine SPG69C3 speakers installed just a week ago. But im still confused with what Sub and Amp.

I may go for a JBL Sub rated at 300Watts RMS

Speakers are 90Watt RMS each

What Amp would be fine for the setup..

MOST IMPORTANTLY: i would like to know what if i just go for a 2 channel Amp for the Rear speakers and do nor go for a Sub, would i get some better power/bass from the existing setup. My head Unit wont suffice the 90Watt RMS required by the rear speakers, it can just provide 50x4 i.e. 12.5 per channel. And am i correct when i say that my existing speakers are limited by this power (12.5 Watt). So do i get better performance by using a 2 channel amp and no sub, would that performance boost be noticeable.

Thanks and Regards

Rohit

Hi Rohit,

It would have been better if you had bought 4" components for the front first than the rear speakers but if you can buy them now, please get yourself good components from Blaupunkt. They make good sounding 4" components.

To reply to your query, no speaker will be able to match a sub woofer in terms of bass, so an amp and a sub combo is better for bass. Second buy a 4 channel not a two channel as it gives you a lot of flexibility. Don't be very specific about power ratings of the sub, for an Alto even a 150w rms sub woul d be sufficient. If you want to buy that 300w JBL sub, you will need a big amp to power it and that is expensive.

I would suggest a 50w x 4 4ch amp (if you have a bigger budget then a 75w x4 amp) running 2 channels bridged to a Sub and the remaining two channels ideally for the front speakers but since you have already purchased decent rear speakers then run them of the amp. Or you can also run all the four speakers (front and rear) in parallel from the two channels of the amp.

For the amp, you can go in for a Pioneer 6400 for around 5k in the grey market and a Pioneer 1208 sub for around 3k. There are other brands like Blau, Kenwood and JBL which you can also check and compare prices. What I have suggested is I think the cheapest alternative.

And get it installed with a professional installer and don't try to save money on the install. The kind of installation make a lot of difference to the sound.

Remember the main quality issues are with the electro-mechanical part. i.e. the speakers. Most higher end electronics is quite similar in specifications.

Furthermore, given out road conditions, constant blaring of horns, etc. unless the car has superb sound insulation you will not be able to enjoy the subtle nuances of your music system.