Gary

Mercedes M Class or BMW X5

i travel 4000km a month, which makes a diesel option sensible. i love offroading and often visit hilly areas, im already having a SUV which is not fulfilling my requirment of offroading. i've read everything about both of these cars but still confused which one to buy. i seriously need some suggestion FuelRunGod2007-11-19 15:15:09

Get the ultimate off roader, get yourself a Toyota Land Cruiser, I would get the diesel. The TLC is the only 4WD to make it consistently to the most reliable list in Consumer Reports as well as other reputable mags. Its among the most competent off roaders made and also among most reliable. Other options for you would be the Gelande Wagen from Mercedes. Neither the X5 or M class are true off roaders in any sense, they are more like all purpose station wagon, good for snow and icy or low traction roads and for mall cruising with kids, they just don't have the suspension or requisite ground clearance to make it in real off road conditions and attritions.Gurkha2007-11-19 15:59:11

I agree... Go for the land Cruiser. Or you may also go for the Pajero' date=' but the spares might be a problem as they're managed by HM in India.[/quote']

I rally frequently and many of the participants have the Indian Pajero, its quite competent and one of the few that keeps up with the Gurkha on most of the terrains. As far as I have heard, spares are no problem but they are costly and so is HM service. Basic oil and filter change service costs nearabouts Rs.10000

i think we dont get a brand new land cruiser in india... And more over land rover is much expensive than x5... After all ur suggestions i think i agree with gurkha about the montero, but still it doesnt give a class im looking for...... Any more suggestions?

i think we dont get a brand new land cruiser in india... And more over land rover is much expensive than x5... After all ur suggestions i think i agree with gurkha about the montero' date=' but still it doesnt give a class im looking for...... Any more suggestions?[/quote']

There are importers who will get you TLC in Mumbai and it will be officially serviced by Toyota India. As for class, Pajero is 7 times Dakkar champ, thats class enough for all. Get the older Pajero over Montero if you intend to do lots of offroading.

Touareg is one of the least reliable SUV out there, CR rates it among the lowest, VW already has had to buy back few of them. It has not been good showing for the Touareg even though the initial design and promise was there.

I have read somewhere that the Land Cruiser is the near universal choice on the Australian Outback, where your life may depend on the reliability of your mount. So I agree 100% with Gurkha, that the most reliable by a mile should be the Toyota LC, 

soo any updates on what you are planning to buy or still confused?? i say better go in with the Honda  CRV or Grand Vitara for around 16k Lacs rs and the rest fo the Money can be Donated to some charitable instituions or Saved for Fuel Costs, the CRV and Grand Vitara are good and are not that BAD , soo hoping for your decision

Regards,

Priya

I have read somewhere that the Land Cruiser is the near universal choice on the Australian Outback' date=' where your life may depend on the reliability of your mount. So I agree 100% with Gurkha, that the most reliable by a mile should be the Toyota LC,?

[/quote']

You are 100% right, even the great Jeremy Clarkson went on a fact finding mission with 5 Range Rovers, 3 of them died in the outback there, all the Aussies clearly nominated TLC as best, also off road safaris use TLC in majority, so does UN and the infamous Talliban who only use HiLux.