dr_nishu

Chevy Beat Diesel, now launched (pg5)

I am not very enthusiastic about Beat diesel (but I am a fan of Beat petrol):

1. It has the smallest engine both in terms of capacity & power.

2.Though Micra too had only 64 horses under its hood but engine capacity was higher. Hence more linear power delivery could be ensured. As they say, there is no substitute for cubic capacity.

3. Fiat MJD engines are known for some turbo-lag unlike Ford TDCI & Logan/Micra diesels. If we get only 56 PS that too with turbo-lag, performance may hamper considerably.

4.Three cylinder engine inherently has more NVH (case in point being Polo diesel).

5. Apart from being highly FE, I do not see any USP of beat diesel as compared to other diesels.

6.Hopefully GM will launch it with very competitive price tag. But with low volume of Beat it will be hard to continue. I am sure that this puny engine will not see its day in heavy & solid U-VA.

7.I wish GM had launch 4 pot MJD both in Beat & U-VA (after some minor face lift). That way GM might have some more volume to play with. A feature packed diesel Beat (75 PS) with 5 lakh price tag is more appealing to me than a half cooked (in terms of performance & refinement) Beat at around 4.5 Lakh

Finally caught 2 more Spy shots of this Beat TCDi undergoing testing;

& as per him,"The car was slow and driven by an old person with GM engineer or emplyoee sitting in co passenger seat. Either the driver was not enthusiastic and/or the car was slow. Makes a bit less noise than Swift, Indicas and GP/Linea's unit from exterior. But this is not for sure as I was on bike + helmet and traffic was also there".
BornFree2011-02-23 02:38:31

Chevrolet Beat diesel engine production begins in June 2011

Press Release

General Motors designs new turbo-diesel engine to be used first in Indian market

* 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine to have best-in-class fuel efficiency and performance for its size

* General Motors Torino Engineering Center development team was supported by GM India Engineering

* Production begins in Talegaon, India in June 2011

* First application to be the Chevrolet Beat for India market

Torino, Italy

Today i did a TD of Beat-LT LPG version & this little power pack is awesome. I seriously loved it.

My Likes...

.Interiors

.Space utilization

.Pickup

.Rear seat space was OK (I'm 5.11 & my cousin is 6. we both could comfortably sit)

.Fold-able Rear seats (I guess, in future my kids can sleep comfortable)

.Way they have fitted both fuel tanks without wasting the space.

.Dashboard (I loved it, it was very beautiful. Even Figo has got good Dashboard), but i liked it a little more)

.All 4 seats were very comfortable.

My Dislikes...

.I doubt on its road clearance (Place where i stay have vry big speed-breakers & while doing a TD i was very keenly observing - luckly i dint hear any creechy sound from the bottom) - Still i doubt

.Road visibility (I felt it was poor. May be bcoz im comparing it with M800)

Chevy representative actually got the car to our residence & TD happened in our own colony streets & i was very happy.

I dont know if this is how all other TD's happen :)

Guys please confirm if the below information is right!

1. Mileage of 14-16(petrol) & 12-14(LPG)?

2. Af S S - Is it really good now?

3. Resale value (No plans of selling it for next 5-6years, but!! In case)

4. How will be the performance

of the Engine as it runs both Petrol-LPG?

5. My budget is 5lakhs & is this the best thing i can get?

I heard Petrol is going to be raised by 8rs more very soon & that way i cant maintain a car :(

Im seriously thinking to wait for Beat(D) smiley27.gif

Although Beat is a good car,but it was never able to keep the GMs cash registers ringing.But in India the following equation can make it a hit,though it may get a share in taxi market too like Indica V2 which also follows the same equation which is as follows:-

Small price+Big(not too much) space+Smart looks+A frugal and fuel efficient diesel engine+though minimal performance but car runs(Like Indica)=SUPERHIT PACKAGE...

so in my views diesel must work for a Beat,and with quite low kerb weight,it must not be a snail too,though not very fast but it must have a quite acceptable performance.

U know what it shows? In your face looks don't work out quite well in India. The bulbous look of the car was able to attract youngsters but not families . Youngsters typically don't buy cars (Their share of the market is small at best) and hence only modest success.Beat is a class benchmark for interior quality with lot of soft touch compared to the competition.

Chevrolet Beat Diesel launch in next 6-8 weeks:

A top GM India official revealed that the diesel variant of the Beat is only 6-8 weeks away from market introduction. Plenty of information has come out on the public domain, and in a press release published by GM during the second week of April all major details including output, features and construction of the engine were listed.

OnCars.in reported a few weeks back that GM India will market the Beat diesel engine using the term http://indianautosblog.com/2011/04/chevrolet-beat-diesel-xsde' target="_blank">

The bulbous look of the car was able to attract youngsters but not families . Youngsters typically don't buy cars (Their share of the market is small at best) and hence only modest success..
Contrary to this i feel that in every indian family youngsters are the only ones who affect buying decisions of their parents next to women in family.

Beat must do something on road visibility. This car is almost not drivable for short peoples.

Otherwise its a perfect car.

I agree with this point... i myself found it vry difficult to see the Road while doing a TD of Beat last week.

Chevy Tech says, that we shud get used to it...

Chevrolet Beat Specifications & spy pics:

v6gVql.jpg

The Beat Diesel, or the Beat TCDi will be powered by a 936cc turbo charged diesel engine. The unit is a three-cylinder derivative of the famed multijet unit created originally by Fiat. Power output will be rated at 58.46 PS at 4000 rpm, which may not look like a lot, but should be sufficient to propel this car reassuringly. To wipe out any doubts that you might have about the driveability of this baby, the torque output is rated at a very healthy 150Nm at a low 1750 rpm

Chevrolet Beat Diesel Launch Postponed To July

General Motors had confirmed the launch of the Beat Diesel for the month of June. However the company has postponed it to July, 2011. The reasons for the delay are unknown but could the recent strike at its manufacturing facility be the reason for this delay? We are unsure, but we sure hope that with a petrol price hike expected in the next couple of weeks, the Beat Diesel arrives sooner than expected. The Beat Diesel will take the cake for being the most fuel efficient hatchback in the country (till the Nano diesel arrives next year). It will give a mileage of 26 kmpl, beating the Indica eV2

I have noticed that advertising for Spark and Beat has been intensified as there's advertisement of both in newspaper everyday which shows that GM wants to make them sell in large nos before launching Beat diesel (which again shows that Beat diesel is around the corner) as it may (may not) eat into petrol siblings volume.  

They won't make the mistake of pricing it as close as figo or ritz diesel. If they do, then people will automatically opt for cars with more powerful engines that they can get at same price.   

CHEVROLET BEAT DIESEL COMING MID-JULY:

Sources tell IAB; General Motors

is in position to uncork the Beat diesel. Last

month GM India told IAB that Beat diesel will

launch in late July. Our sources tell us by mid

July, the launch will be over and done with.

Chevrolet dealers will receive one of the world

One of my friend have Test Driven Beat Diesel.

Since he's a layman for cars & as per its a good car & is very smooth, silent, powerful, fast enough & can be easily mistaken for a petrol car.

Rest, wait for its official launch & pricing.

I have enquired about Beat Diesel in my city and dealer told that launch of diesel version has been delayed and will not be launched in the month of july,Is it True ? What is the expected date of launching of diesel version any news?

I have enquired about Beat Diesel in my city and dealer told that launch of diesel version has been delayed and will not be launched in the month of july' date='Is it True ? What is the expected date of launching of diesel version any news?[/quote'] Chevrolet Beat Diesel bows in on 25 July

The Chevrolet Beat and the Spark are the real volume drivers for Chevrolet India. Since its launch in Jan 2010, the Chevrolet Beat has made a small place for itself in the Maruti Suzuki dominated territory. Together with its space age styling and class leading warranty, the Beat manages to ship 3,000 units odd per month. However, something was always missing. A diesel heart!

Of course, Chevrolet knew that and hence they started working on the Smartech diesel technology at their Bangalore research center. Finally, the Chevrolet Beat Diesel is ready to be launched on the 25th of this month.

Source: IAB

Chevrolet Beat website updated with Teaser shots:

Also check out its TV-Advt  Commercials.

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2faFCovA0&feature=player_embedded

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKJh44cOkwg&feature=player_embedded

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yii9RJrBSk&feature=player_embedded
dr_nishu2011-07-23 19:02:14