esteem

Philips 100/90 Headlamps

Hi All,

I drive an Esteem Lxi from last 4 years now, I have been running on the old yellow pale headlamps so far. I have heard a lot about Philips 100/90 Headlamps (White light) & will like to get them installed.

However, there are lot of people who say that they need some special wiring & running them on stock wires can be dangerous.

I will appreciate if I can be helped with the installation procedure & how much will it cost me in total.

I have installed philips 100/90 bulbs with relay i.e. extra wiring kit which will power the bulb. Total costed me around Rs.1200/-. brightness is very good but its not white, normal yellow driving light.

@mac, thank you very much for your reply, really appreciate. One more thing if someone out there is from New Delhi & can help me with details of dealers from where I can buy the Philips 100/90 Headlamps & can get them installed.

Hi All,

I drive an Esteem Lxi from last 4 years now, I have been running on the old yellow pale headlamps so far. I have heard a lot about

Philips 100/90 Headlamps (White light) & will like to get them installed.

However, there are lot of people who say that they need some special wiring & running them on stock wires can be dangerous.

I will appreciate if I can be helped with the installation procedure & how much will it cost me in total.

[/quote']

To remind you any 100/90w setup is illegal. These are meant for off-road use only. I will personally request not to use it. It causes problem for other traffic.

Secondly, Phillips 100/90w lamps (aka Rally) are normal halogen lamps and not white. They do require a relay kit (Mico/ Roots) which costs additional Rs250. Each bulb cost around rs150. So a total setup costs around 600Rs.

I had used such bulbs in My Alto, but was removed within 1 year of usage on request by some of our Mods

A good alternative is Phillips Xtreme power 60/55w lamp which is around 80% brighter (as claimed). These are good upgrades and do provide better illumination than stock halogens. Life is short though and the light is like normal halogens only.

White bulbs are not useful. Some common bulbs like Phillips blue vision, crystal vision , diamond vision are available but they only add flair to the car and not light. They perform too poor in rains and fogs. They are not adequate for high speeds and highways.

For a car like esteem, factory fitted Fogs lamps are available and there are provisions in the bumper for that. Getting fogs installed is a better idea if they are not standard.

I totally agree with sb-alto,

My maximum driving is in highways so I had to go for these 100/90 bulbs.

If you have feasible for adjustment in low beam the you can install these bulbs. It should disturb that much to traffic.

Even I am not comfortable with 100/90 in rain, thinking of installing Hella Comet.

I totally agree with sb-alto' date='

My maximum driving is in highways so I had to go for these 100/90 bulbs.

If you have feasible for adjustment in low beam the you can install these bulbs. It should disturb that much to traffic.

Even I am not comfortable with 100/90 in rain, thinking of installing Hella Comet.
[/quote']

Correction

It should not disturb that much to traffic.

@Esteem,

As discussed by many earlier, i am going to repeat almost similar advice.

If you have decided to go for a 100/90, go ahead and do it with a relay. Total cost for this comes around Rs 800. You may spoil your wiring here, might invite trouble from AfSS too.(Just saw a parallel thread running on this one)

If not, Go for Philips ExtremePower (Rs 900) or Osram NightBreaker(Rs 1500). Here you will get brightness slightly lower than 100/90 but you don't touch your wiring. This won't harm your reflectors.

I agree with @creativebala's statement.

I did not wanted to mess around with adding a rely and go for 100/90 in my i10. So i preferred for Philips Extreme power. I would say brightness increased by almost 40%. I am very happy with the change.

@i10_bhs

I agree with you installing Philip Extreme bulb will increase brightness and it will serve the purpose till city limit. But for highways minimum 100/90 bulbs with relay is required sometime even this is not sufficient.

Well firstly for any headlight upgrade check the reflectors of the car they should be as silver as they can if not then first replace them . I had 130 W on my Zen and I had put ceramic bulb holder and a CUT out circuit . I never used the full beams till date .(Which can be my excuse for higher wattage ).

yaa dude. Thats a crazy and cool idea having a brand new stylish white head lamps to yor stunning esteem car..

How ever ,if you really wanna go good for styling u can opt for other make of head lamps,which also would cost u a bit less. But if u dont want to compromise on quality,u can go for a branded ones like Philips. They may cost u around 1200 and if u?can go for only styling kind of brands,ull get it asy at 800 or say..

but remember to dip your lights in the city,white lights are not soo useful in winter and in rains..yellow is the all time best..

POST EDITED: PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME TO POST IN CORRECT ENGLISH WITH APPROPRIATE PUNCTUATION! CYRUS432010-06-07 07:15:08

Well firstly for any headlight upgrade check ........ ........ ......  .....t then first replace them . I had 130 W on my Zen and I had put ceramic bulb holder and a CUT out circuit .(Which can be my excuse for higher wattage ).

Do you have this fitment (130W & 100/90 on low beam) on stock reflectors?