suryahonda4111

Filling up Tank

Guys kindly tell me,

Due to price hike in petrol rates yesterday i filled my bike tank.

but my friends told me don't fill the tank full it may results changes in stability and petrol will waste too much while drive.

and also clarify which is the best fuel station to fill in india.

Happlily, Price hike is postponed for now. smiley4.gif

But Filling the bike's tank upto the Brim, affects the Handling mildly as It shifts the bike's Centre of Gravity's height(relatively to the Empty/Less filled Tank) & the latter depends on the bike too, i.e: which bike you're using as not every bike gets that difference(especially the new bikes which comes with Small 6 or 8 litre fuel tanks, like Discover, Flame, etc).

tank full it may results changes in stability

I am surprised that people talks like GP experts on some useless topics. Are you going to participate in any race so you will feel unstable on corners?

Simply you are going to fill Full Tank to save money. I also do it many times. Actually it depends on use, if you will empty this Full Tank fuel within 15-20 days than defiantly go for it. If it will serve you for more than 2 months do not go for it.  

@dr_nishu: How much would have saved? The cost of a cuppa at CCD! Keep things in perspective.

Sorry but didn't get your point sir ! smiley5.gif

I am using Pulsar 150. as of now i din't get any trouble due to full tank.

Initial Pulsars, especially Initial DTS-i versions(with 18-Inch Spoke wheels) have Relatively Taller Ride Height & bigger Fuel tanks(18 litres+), are having such kind of Handling-effects due to the latter, as when Fuel in the tank Shrills very much even at mild Undulations, it when reaches at 75% level of the Full Tank Capacity & I've actually felt that.

But later on Bajaj sorted out this glitch in UG-II onwards models by reducing Tank capacity to 15 litres & its height & also added Small 17-Inch Alloys.

But Fuel Consumption doesn't gets affected with Full, Half  or Near Empty Tank.
dr_nishu2010-06-08 16:27:56

One thing I have noticed is people lining up outside petrol pumps the day before the petrol prices are to be hiked. Oh man, the amount of fuel you guys spent there idling or if not idling, switching on, moving ahead 2 metres and then again switching off. It amounts to a great deal of loss over there itself. I dont know if my viewpoint is right but once when I went to refuel that day, I pondered on this thought and found it pretty practical.

-- Drifty

I have filled my Yamaha RX 100's tank to the brim (11 litres) many, many times but have not found any perceptible change in its handling, which had created some odd moments for me.Never I would say. And the bike has been with me for 20 years.

In fact many users check fuel consumption from tankful to tankful.

anjan_c20072010-06-09 18:10:29

In fact many users check fuel consumption from tankful to tankful.

Very correct anjan. That is the only practical (& correct) method to check the fuel consumption in both four wheeler & two wheelers (for both, who have reserve tap & who do not).

I have heard about oil hike,not only in india but worldwide.Really when this thing appears,it's like when you are locked somewhere without a way out.Well,for me i would suggest,yahaha,with 150cc,because it can last long and has no too much repairs.All people should take yahama,and try it this round and see the different.Not only that but also,it's saves your pocket.

One just feels the sudden difference when he leaves the pump like i do because i fill when my tank is almost empty and i add 10 litres of fuel,so while taking the 1st turn out of the pump the bike feels little front heavy but after few metres you get used to it thats my experience friends!

@dr_nishu: The topic started with the filling up of the tank to the brim in anticipation of a price hike. The stability was a second issue.

As for stability, let us try to be objective. What is the tank size (say 13l max) which adds 10kg., not that significant.

I have never owned a bike but the generic points remain. A lot of issues are in the mind - but even then if we think so then might as well as accept them for peace of mind.

Liked the last line of your Quote sir.

I respect all of your Points, but what I've quoted in my 1st Post of this thread is what I've personally experienced in my College time Room-mate's Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTS-i UG-I.

As Initially the Pulsars are having the 18-20 litres Fuel tanks, which when Filled fully upto the Brim shows very strange kind of behaviour in the Handling area, as with 20 litres fuel in the Tank is like a 16kgs kid sitting in front of the Driver.

You can Imagine the actual situation..  

Also the Culprit alongwith this in the Old-Pulsars was its Tall-Ride height, Overall its Sporty Driving Pleasure gets worsened.

Whereas Yamaha RX100 hardly shows difference with its Full Tank, as 1stly its Tank is of just 10litres & Its Ride/Saddle height is also Relatively very low as compared to other bikes.

And as most of the new bikes are coming with the Max of 8-12 litres of Fuel Tanks, so filling them upto the Brim hardly affects their Stability.   

but my friends told me don't fill the tank full it may results changes in stability and petrol will waste too much while drive.

Just Few days back filled my Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG-III Tank full of Petrol 7 It've accomodated almost 17 litres of Petrol, upto its Brim level.

& Changes what I've Noticed as compared to the same tank with 3-4 litres of Petrol are;

-1stly, Got the Top-Heavy feeling from the bike.

-Bike flickability & Manoeuvrability is reduced due to the Top-Heavy feeling.

-Straight line Stability is Improved.