amjustadreamer

Car care - how to keep her squeaky clean?

Hi Everyone,

I have a Ford Figo in Sea Gray color..Now the color looks really great, but it also catches on dust and water-marks really fast. Even if I wash my car squeeky clean then it takes just one small drive to get her dusty again.After I drive in rains,or if she is even standing still in rain, then those ugly water marks can be seen after the rain drops dry out.This is really painful as the car is just a week old, and it is not possibile to wash my car daily.I have to take her in that condition to office daily :(

Now I tried to do some DIY stuff with waxing..I have done waxing on the bonnet -one half with Waxpol super wax polish(hard wax) and other half with waxpol liquid wax - to see if it works.When I finished waxing, it seemed to have formed a nice protective layer on the bonnet and some shine.But after two days I don't see it working as I expected it to.Dust still sits on the car and there are stains when rain drops dry.

I need some help from you gurus...please tell me how do I keep my new car clean/shiny on a daily basis?

Thanks in advance..

In India, keeping a car 'squeaky clean' is next to impossible. That way you will become an 'obsessive compulsive neurotic' and will spend the better part cleaning the car than driving it. Get a good polish done and probably can get interior detailing done, if you're that particular (who isn't with a new car). Besides, don't worry you'll get over the 'new car syndrome' after a few weeks, and don't forget to remove those plastic sheets over the seat's...I didn't remove for a few weeks till I was pointed out by a friend in a photograph...it gets real warm and also slips and is uncomfortable to sit on.

In India' date=' keeping a car 'squeaky clean' is next to impossible. That way you will become an 'obsessive compulsive neurotic' and will spend the better part cleaning the car than driving it. Get a good polish done and probably can get interior detailing done, if you're that particular (who isn't with a new car). Besides, don't worry you'll get over the 'new car syndrome' after a few weeks, and don't forget to remove those plastic sheets over the seat's...I didn't remove for a few weeks till I was pointed out by a friend in a photograph...it gets real warm and also slips and is uncomfortable to sit on. [/quote']

'obsessive compulsive neurotic' -- thats a possibility,yes smiley36.gif But thanks for your advice Durango Dude..and all points noted.Further could you please elaborate on what polishing you referring to - teflon coating,wax polishing or something else?

Also need advice to keep the car clean on daily basis..is wiping with a wet sponge daily and drying it out by micro-fibre cloth good ?will it harm the polish/paint surface?

I got a person from 3M to come home and do the polishing. They do a professional job and bring their own equipment remove the dirt and clean the car first and then apply the wax and rub it in and polish it with a circular rotating duster like tool. They took a few hours and I was there sitting watching. They charged Rs.1500 but did a thorough job. After that you can clean the car and wet mop it and dry it again. The wet mop shouldn't be too wet or the water stains will remain. To be honest after that polish I did another polish just at the end of 4 years. But my car stays within a covered car park in my portico. Thats more important: where your car rests, it better be covered car park away from the sun and dust. Always drive with the a/c on so your interiors remain as clean as possible and after a long trip if occupants have eaten things within the car it must be cleaned and vacuumed so it doesn't leave remnants of old food and attendant bad odor. 

Keeping a car clean that too dark colors are very difficult, unless we wash the vehicle daily. Mine is black swift, I wash my vehicle once in a week and use duster to remove the dust. I apply Meguiars Quik Wax once in a month and it keeps my car shining. Car duster is very good in terms of removing dust without scratching your paint surface.

Here is the link for car duster.

Thanks Durango Dude and mac_diesel for your inputs.

@Durango Dude : "To be honest after that polish I did another polish just at the end of 4 years" Do you mean the wax polishing done by the 3M guys lasted you for 4 years?If thats so then I think its fantastic VFM.My car is parked in open all the time, so even if the polish lasts for 1 year instead of 4, it still makes good sense for me.

@mac_diesel: Thanks for the direct link ! Where did you get the Meguirs wax in India?And does the Quick wax stay for a month?Can you post the pics of your car after Meguirs treatment..it will help me decide :)

@mac_diesel: Thanks for the direct link ! Where did you get the Meguirs wax in India?And does the Quick wax stay for a month?Can you post the pics of your car after Meguirs treatment..it will help me decide :)

I just applied once 15 days ago still its glossy shine is there, also my car is parked under the roof always.

I am not sure where to source the Meguairs wax in India, I had visited US in April. Bought Meguairs quick wax and rubbing wax from there. But you can source it from US little costlier here is the link.

Dreamer...avoid washing your car now & then. Once a week is good to go. Better brush it up with soft satin clothes if you want to just clean up the water droplet marks.

Anyways congrats for the new car.

Thanks guys..From what you told and from what learnt on the internet, I have the below tentative plan in mind.

1-Get a paint sealant done by pro car detailer(once a year)

2-Follow it up with collinite no.845 liquid insulator every 3-4 months for added protection and shine.(DIY)

3-Wash car every week with a mild shampoo(DIY)

4-If required, mop the car surface with a damp MF cloth every alternate day(DIY)

Oh ho ! amjustdreamer sirjee,

I appreciate your feeling regarding your car but Don't get tad Anxious n fastedious sir..

Just wash your Figo weekly with a Mild yet Good Quality Shampoo & after drying it just use Formula1(original one) Carnuba Wax polish atleast Once in a 15 days & you'll get the Fantastic results.

This method is very safe & practical for even long-term use, I'm even doing this from last 5 years on my Alto & results are below,

dsc00427p.jpg

However for Interiors(Dashboard & Door Trims), do use Waxpol Dashboard/Plastic Shiner polish for Long-lasting results & is cheap & best too & Vaccum Cleaner for Dusting purposes.

And last but not the least, Cleaning your car everyday or dayafter one is the Best Mantra for keeing your car Shining always like the new.

After I drive in rains' date='or if she is even standing still in rain, then those ugly water marks can be seen after the rain drops dry out.[/quote']

Best way to tackle this is, Clean you car with the Soft Cloth immediately after the Rains, if they the drops have dried on its Surface then do Wash it Once with Mild Shampoo(but don't use dry cloth on them) & Repeat the above procedure.

Oh ho ! amjustdreamer sirjee' date='

I appreciate your feeling regarding your car but Don't get tad Anxious n fastedious sir..

Just wash your Figo weekly with a Mild yet Good Quality Shampoo & after drying it just use Formula1(original one) Carnuba Wax polish atleast Once in a 15 days & you'll get the Fantastic results.

This method is very safe & practical for even long-term use, I'm even doing this from last 5 years on my Alto & results are below,

And last but not the least, Cleaning your car everyday or dayafter one is the Best Mantra for keeing your car Shining always like the new.
[/quote']

Thanks Doc. First things first - Thats one beautifully maintained car.Nice smiley32.gif

OK, now if you see, apart from the paint sealant thing, everything else I was planning to do is what you are already doing to your car.The paint sealant is because my car is always in open parking places.Will post her pic tomorrow as to how dirty she gets.

Even I was looking for the original Formula 1 , but since our market is flooded with fakes, and I dont know any source to get original from, I narrowed down on collinite 845.You get it for Rs.850/- from authorised distributor in delhi BBImpex, its reviews are really good, and learnt it lasts really long in harsh conditions,so all the better! smiley1.gif

BTW, what do you use to shampoo your car: MF cloth, sponge or wash mitt?

Regards.