Sign in to follow this  
nataraj

Nissan Leaf & the end of ICEage

For a long time a lot of people (like me) have wanted a "real" electric car (or EV as we would call them - Electric Vehicle). The intention of this thread is to update you with what is happening in the EV world.

There are two main reasons why we should all ditch the smelly polluting cars and move to clean EVs

- Climate Change : We all know about this.

- Peak Oil : Last 5 years the production of crude oil has flattenned even though the price keeps going up. It is likely we have already hit Peak Oil - from now on the world can't increase production, even though demand from China & India keeps increasing.

Because of these two reasons every major auto company in the world has started talking about making electric vehicles. This is the beginning of the end of Internal Combuston Engine - or as I say ICEage.

Nissan Leaf is the first mass produced EV. Nissan & Renault plan to make 500,000 EVs every year in a couple of years. Other companies will start making EVs in small numbers.

In the US Nissan Leaf costs about $25,000 after tax credits. That is the same price as a Prius. On April 20th Nissan started taking pre-orders for the car. In December the cras will be delivered in 5 areas in the US, including where I live - Seattle.

From now through December, we will select our dealers, test drive, get electrical inspection done, get the charger ("EVSE") installed. Nissan is allowing some 500 journalists et al to drive the car cars for the first time this week.

I'll keep you all informed about Leaf and other EVs in the coming weeks and months. For more information checkout this forum.

Let us all pray for the end of ICEage smiley4.gif

Nice to see the beggining of Green & Enviornment friendly EV-age in the US, but as usual same isn't the case with India, as Renault-Nissan High Official have Clearly mentioned that they have strictly no plans of Launching their EV 'Leaf' here, atleast for next 5 years & considering India's Auto Industry growth

Seems that for India a Flat-era for ICE is yet to come then will be the turn for EVs.

So, as usual 10years behind the Schedule as fom US. 

Interestingly Reva claims to be the world's largest maker of EVs.

BTW, you don't have 10 years to start thinking of EVs. Before 2015, we will get severe oil shartage - would have already happenned but for the Great Recession. Long queues at the petrol station will force a rethink long before 10 years.

Interestingly Reva claims to be the world's largest maker of EVs.

That's for their Overall Global Sales & Ranking & most of the EVs they've sold till to date are on Roads other than India.

Rarely they've crossed 4-figure sales of their EVs in India.

In Reality, EVs are not the part of Solution of the Oil Crisis that'll hang on the India sooner or later. As In ours country there is very much Shortage of Electricity, so with what we are going to charge our EVs if we are not having Power Supply enough to lit-up our CFLs, LCDs n to Run Fans(leave ACs alone) !! smiley5.gif

So for India, Only that Almighty above have the Real Answer..

Well, it is not like EV is anything but a niche answer in the US. Even if every car sold from next year is an EV - it will take 30 years to replace all ICE cars. Even the most optimistic estimates say 10% of the sales will be  EVs in 2020.

This is the new iAd for Nissan Leaf.

Apple CEO during his address revealing iPhone 4 showed this new apple ad platform using this Leaf ad. Infact he booked Nissan Leaf using the iAd.

Move over smoke belching cars. Meet the new cool.

Today Nissan started taking orders for Leaf - from the first batch of reservation holders. These people will get their cars in December. Most of them ordered within 10 minutes of getting their emails on Apr-20th.

I'm in the next batch - which means probably a January delivery ...

Official photos :

gallery-14.jpg

gallery-5.jpg

I was allowed to order today. Because of the way Nissan has handled all the reservation & ordering through internet - dealers were competing for the orders and I could get a quote from a dealer for thousand below list price. With accessories it came to $32,500 - and after 7,500 tax credit later will be a nice round figure of 25,000. Same as most family sized ICE cars and Prius.

Nissan_LEAF_Order_01.png

EVs arent entirely fuel free either. Where does electricity come from? We burn coal and fossil fuels to generate a large part of electricity in India. So unless we shift to renewable sources, you are still polluting the environment by using EVs.

btw, the Leaf is a good car and being the first car in its segment will give it a big boost

EVs arent entirely fuel free either. Where does electricity come from? We burn coal and fossil fuels to generate a large part of electricity in India. So unless we shift to renewable sources' date=' you are still polluting the environment by using EVs. /QUOTE']

This is a tired argument that has been debunked a thousand time.

Anyway, where I live we can get 100% green energy.

Have you heard of peak oil ?

I will prefer a Diesel Hybrid for the efficiency and self sufficiency anyday.

How do you achieve self sufficiency with diesel ? Like I noted above - checkout Peak Oil and its consequences ....

Finally today, the first Leaf was delivered to a customer in the San Francisco bay area.

No one knows who bought the world's first motorcycle, or who took home the first Ford off a Detroit assembly line. But let the history books show that Olivier Chalouhi of Redwood City on Saturday became the first person in the world to own a Leaf.