asethi919

The MINI Challenge: HYUNDAI ACCEPTS!

MINI's mental challenge to Porsche, pitting a Cooper S against a 911 Carrera S around Road Atlanta, won't be happening. Porschepolitely turned down the challenge, and actually put it back on MINI to enter a car at Sebring, Le Mans, Daytona or any other sanctioned race, where there's more on the line than "T-Shirts and valet parking spaces."

The news comes to us straight from Detlev Von Platen, president and CEO ofPorsche's North American operations. The missive itself takes a genial tone to the whole affair, even relating Porsche's own history to MINI's current position of calling out giants.

In the note, Von Platen explains why Porsche's not engaging in the duel: "But as you also know, Porsche doesn

Porsche is scared of Mini.

They know that they make pathetic cars and last thing they want is to get humiliated by a mini.

Nice way to avoid humiliation, not to take up the challenge.

Porsche = Chicken

There is no way a Mini is quicker than a Porsche around Road Atlanta. I know that track faintly and It is very undulated and quick.

Then why is Porsche hesitating?

Porsche is a bunch of cowards.

Its not the question of whether they are a bunch of cowards. There is a certain amount of professionalism and dignity that a corporate entity is expected to have. Porsche needs to prove nothing to Mini or to the rest of the world for that matter. And as someone from porsche said, why doesnt mini come to one of the sanctioned races with a full spec prepared race car backed up with a full spec company crew? If Mini wants to race that badly, maybe they should take that challenge up, or are they the real cowards then?

As I said, no one needs to prove anything. You do know that if porsche shows up it will whoop the mini on the track.

The reason Porsche is avoiding this challenge is because they have nothing to gain and everything to loose. If Porsche wins, everyone's obvious reaction would be they were supposed to win against that bubble shaped thing anyway so whats the big deal. 

Mini is gaining a lot in terms of publicity regardless of Porsche's response. I think this is an absolutely fabulous marketing campaign from Mini and I am sure they saved a lot of money that they would have had to spend on a traditional ad campaign.

@ cyrus43

if it is so clear that Porsche will "WHOOP" the Mini on track, why doesnt it just show up?

And i dont believe that Mini would be stupid enough to call somebody just to get humiliated.

The reason Porsche is avoiding this challenge is because they have nothing to gain and everything to loose. If Porsche wins' date=' everyone's obvious reaction would be they were supposed to win against that bubble shaped thing anyway so whats the big deal. 

Mini is gaining a lot in terms of publicity regardless of Porsche's response. I think this is an absolutely fabulous marketing campaign from Mini and I am sure they saved a lot of money that they would have had to spend on a traditional ad campaign.
[/quote']

Winner, I have explained your queries in my post above.

@ asethi919

If Mini gets publicity, so does Porsche.

And moreover if porsche is so confident, why doesnt it show up and beat the hell out of it.

As i have already said, Mini is NOT stupid to do something that will tarnish their reputation.

I smell something fishy.

Dude, Everyone expects Porsche, one of the greatest sports car ever made. to win over a little hatchback with just over 150bhp. Regarding the publicity, they too are getting it alongside Mini. Winning the race will simply mean nothing to them or to fans of either company.

Mini wont loose any face in loosing to Porsche. Their purpose is solved. Its a very real possibility that Mini's marketing team might have devised this whole idea for this very purpose.

Edit: I am pretty sure Bala was being sarcastic. smiley2.gif
asethi9192010-06-18 19:27:00

Dear winner, you have a lot to learn in terms of marketing strategies and corporate tactics. Its not just some game. This is real life, If Mini wants to race so badly, why doesnt it take part in LeMans?

Why doesnt Porsche go out and beat the hell out of Mini?

And yes, i am a law student, not a management student, so i know nothing og corporate strategies etc etc.

Just to show you how quick a Porsche is, I shall now put up some OFFICIAL Nurburgring Lap Times.

7:59     Porsche 911 Carrera S (conducted by Sport Auto)

8:55    The Mini Cooper John Works S (conducted by Sport Auto)   

7:38     Porsche 911 Turbo      (conducted by porsche)

7:34     Porsche 911 GT2        (conducted by porsche)

Edit: I am pretty sure Bala was being sarcastic. smiley2.gif

Partly Yes, partly No.

Think about this situation.

A Lamborgini in MG Rd, Bangy. Say it race for 5 kms. I am pretty sure it can over take just 3-4 vehicles, because of its huge foot pring.

Same Road on a Reva, you can go through every nook 'n corner and overtake some big cars easily (Remember, electric motors have more torque than our most petrol/Diesel engines)

But that is on the street where clearly something big will get bottled up in traffic. What if the road was completely empty? Like a racetrack....

I clearly mentioned it here' date='

I think Maini can you the same strategy to promote Reva. They can call Lamborgini to race with Reva in Mumbai or Bangalore Main Roads at office hours. Definitely Reva will win.

Porsche has done the right thing by declining, there is nothing they have to prove and they are completely different brands.

@ winner: Cyrus & asethi have explained enough to you, its just not about a RACE.

5u3zEr02010-06-19 08:08:09

Fine

As you guys say.

But i am not convinced and neither will I ever be.

But i am not commenting on it anymore.

This topic is closed from my side.