@drift - I must protest  that your  post is very offensive - You have replied as if  I have targeted  you personally.

I will reply to your comments in much civilized way -

1. mileage - I have already mentioned in my earlier post the mileage may be due to driving style or short commute with 100% ac on - so its unfair to compare fuel efficiency with my star - be objective - I have not mentioned highway figures -20km/l ? what IDR ?

2.front space is not equal as I have test driven both alto and A star - A - star is better - again this differs from person to person   - the rear is same space as wheelbase of both cars is same

3.regarding visibility problem - rear visibility is better in alto - agreed  - I have mentioned again earlier post - so whats the fuss?

front visibility can be overcome by height adjustable driver seat .

4.heaters are not good in every car so is the ac - this important in  rainy places like bangalore where it gets very cold - this from personal experience

5.Yes  A - star is better put together than swift no laughing matter DRIFTY! - as i personally own swift 1.2  with K series engine so I know it - also quality is a subjective matter 

6.please don't compare alto 's speedo/tacho with A-star - it looks ugly - IMO - looks are subjective matter dude

All I wanted was to bring  true picture about my A - star without getting in to an egoistic debate . I rest my case

@bones - your always  welcome.

Mr. Spock2010-09-19 19:05:10

@MrSpock

8-11kmpl in city is too bad. If you are sure that it is because of your driving style then please take steps to rectify it. Can harm the car in the long run

I agree that Astar is better than k10 alto in some areas. Afterall it is based on an improved platform than the Alto. But both car has +/- points.

sb-alto2010-09-20 19:19:19

@drifty- hey no hard feelings - in hindsight we both may be bit biased towards our vehicle , me being touch too touchy about my vehicle.                                                                                                                               @sb - the mileage i am quoting varies , avg is 11 with ac on( 100% )      and it is not by tank full method so error is possible ,also low to midange is weak resulting in frequent gear sh*ts. i never rev the engine and tacho is always below 2500 rpm.           .                                    i gave the vehicle for 3rd free service - cost 4000/- which included replacement of engine oil with synthetic engine oil costing 2,500/- , fixing of ratling front left seat, wheel alignment and balancing 900/- and rest is labour for alingnment and tax . 20% vat for synthetic oil is too much when other items attract 12.5% vat

I am a spirited driver. And I shift around 3000 rpm but not above it. And i get decent FE.

Dude, sometimes, probably once a month, go for a spirited drive and change gears at 4500 rpm. Continuous sedative driving is not considered good. A good run in involves all types of driving so that the engine has a good setup. aLthough you have driven enough and run in has finished but I would still advise you to go for a ride.

And yea, gauge the fuel efficiency by tankful method and revert back. If you are getting 11 kmpl, there is definitely something demanding a checkup. Maybe a sparkplug something....

Drifty

Mr. Spock, I like this star the most in terms of the styling and safety features it offers.  Definitely a star!! Never had a chance for a TD. How is the overall ride quality and response compared to Ritz and/or Swift.

i@drift - see the mileage gets better if driven long distances in city e.g 17 km/l. also car is not driven daily sometomes upto a week. anyway i will check with service centre. driving style meant that in new delhi due to roundabouts there is frequent stop and go not the kind you see mumbai. the mileage is close to autocar india figure of 12.3km/l so its ok for the moment.           @car - gearbox ritz ( effort is more) >a star > swift. engine response swift is better than a star especially low end .detailed review and comparison soonMr. Spock2010-09-21 12:03:38

Living with a Star -   Each day the car fascinates me whether its looks or music system . The car has its down sides like lack of low end grunt and jerkiness in stop and go traffic or its poor quality plastic .

The Questions : People ask me

1. Does the car have Maruti's  genetic trait of rattle proneness? - The answer is YES - the left front seat of My car rattles when car's engine idles.( its hardly year old)

2. Is it fuel efficient? - Yes .

3.Is it a spacious car? - Yes and No - It depends on the user.

4. Is it expensive to maintain ? NO - the spare parts are cheap and routine service is not that expensive.

5.Is it better than alto K10 or its immediate competition ?- Alto K10 belongs to different segment and  caters to different tastes.

My advice will be that one should check out all other cars and buy the car which suits one's budget, needs .

6.Is maruti's service over hyped ? Yes and NO - it varies with service center - do check out though.

7. will the car depreciate more - Yes , for now only I can tell -Who Knows? Even the old Zen was a slow seller initially but sales picked up gradually and was one of the top selling cars in its segment.

Even the humble Alto was in same position and took nearly 4 years to achieve moderate success -  Wonder what Maruti thinking?

8.So is it worth buying A- star - definitely .Do ask for generous discount though and check out competition.

9.Which variant ?- Zxi  it has most of the features one requires with added benefits Driver's  height adjustable seat and safety at an affordable price

10. Auto transmission ? Yes  , but only vxi variant

Any more queries?

Hey Siddharth

Congratulations on the new car. A-Star is the latest hatchback from Maruti Suzuki which provides a pleasurable driving experience on the crowded city roads.

A-Star has now been launched in different "wraps" which are jazzy new designs to depict your personality type! All this is now available for a price of Rs 11k.

Nice pictures you have posted! Motivating enough to make me think of buying an A-Starsmiley1.gif.

Hi, i'm buying the A-star.

Vxi or Lxi not yet decided...but definitely in paradise blue.

checking out the finance options and bargaining at the discount since I'm in no urgent need of a car.

will buy it in december when you can get maximum discount, fingers crossed.

A few things i wanted to know:

1) how is company fitted music system in Vxi?

2) does the Vxi come with height adjustable seat?

@gego - 1. Yes there is company fitted stereo with aux in port for ipod in VXI variant  but has only 2 speakers factory fitted. so add 2 more speakers.

Mine is a four speaker unit and music output is excellent  for an OEM unit.

2. Yes ,VXI , ZXI , automatic variants now have height adjustable seat.

Strangely I have seen that all Maruti ZXI variants rattles the least. I have personally experienced this with Swift, Dzire, SX4 and Ritz. The major issue arises from the wheel arch and suspension arms every time and the window glass for cheaper cars. If it is LXI or VXI you will get rattles sooner or more than ZXI of the same car.

If it is LXI or VXI you will get rattles sooner or more than ZXI of the same car.

Could it be because, people usually remove-and-refit the door pads etc of the lower variants to fit the Music System, Key less entry etc? Whereas the upper ZXi variants come with features as factory fitted?

Third free service - review

I hardly noticed that a year has elapsed since buying Maruti A- star. It has covered more than 5500 kms( within  confines of  Lutyens Delhi).

Time had come to for its third free service and Sine I was out of  station My father's driver gave the car for servicing.
BIll- 4000/- including wheel alignment, wheel  balancing, tyre rotation.oil filter change But the biggest expense was engine oil  at 2900/- due to use of synthetic engine oil at 895/liter.

The car runs smoothly but car vibrates slightly more  on idling now.Only grouse is that I should have taken the car personally to service center and asked SA to use mineral oil not Synthetic oil.

I think Maruti recommeds only Semi-synthetic oil, and not Fully synthetic oil.

Think normal Mineral oil might not be suitable for K-Series engines. Anyways, usage of Semi-Synths could have reduced the bill considerably.

Also try to do the Wheel balancing and alignment outside, thereby reducing the service cost by a good margin.

I think otherwise. I was always scared of putting full synthetic oils in my Alto. I have other friends facing problems in their Alto or M800 because of Castrol Edge. Thin oils do not adjust well with low cc engines. I dont know why.

Most full synthetics come in 0W__ grades.

I have used semi synthetics of 10W40 and 15W40 and found uneasiness for a few hundred kilometers before settling. So used good minerals thereafter. I personally think there is no need of full synthetic for an Astar. A semi synth like Total Quartz7000 or Castrol Magnatec is fine. Else you have many minerals in SM formulations.

Hey I own A-Star ZXI. It has run close to 4000kms and is just over a year old. When I got back home and turned on the AC,it was making a weird noise. The noise is very audible if I put the AC to max speed. It was all normal when I got out in the morning(I travelled some 15kms before getting back). Any idea what could be wrong with it? I think its too early for the AC system to fail(correct me if I am wrong). And btw,my car has to travel through roads that have been dug up by the Govt authorities. So the car does take a beating whenever I take it out   smiley19.gifBornFree2010-12-02 08:39:09

@nixon - Get your A/C serviced it might be due to dust entering the A/C .Also keep Your A/C in recirculate mode when car is parked or traveling through dusty environment.

I had same problem in my A-Star so I got the A/C serviced from MASS and the problem disappeared.

Thanks for your reply Mr. Spock!! I have called the service guys up and i think you have a point there since my car does its daily travelling in dusty n dug up roads. Anyway,will update you after they check my car.

Sorry for the late reply. My car went for check up 2 weeks back and they found bits of paper inside the AC SYSTEM. Yes,it was another case of rat issue. Just 3 days after rectifying the problem,the issue resurfaced again. Lets see how far it goes. And yes the rat did more damage. This time to my bike. It somehow got inside my Honda Unicorn and ate up the bike's documents smiley7.gif . Now we all know where the bits of paper came from!!