UPDATE- 3 Jan 2011

I had complained in workshop section of the forum about the krrr noise when steering is turned. So on 26th Dec.2010 I showed the Vehicle to MASS .The SA was initially reluctant saying there is no problem but on further insisting another SA drove the car and car was kept the car for 1 day.

Problems which was solved

1, power line wires were loose which resulted in flicking of lights when blower was switched on  - Rectified

2.steering had a play rack was opened and according to SA their was lack of grease - Rectified

Cost - ZERO even though car was outside free service - Great !

I had also requested the MASS to etch the numberplate on the windows of the car - cost 200/-

Still their is the issue of Left hand pull of the car which Is I think wheel alignment issue will get rectified soon.Also I bumped the tire pressure to 40psi - wow the handling was much better after that

33 psi is the recommended level for A- star.But for a change I increased it to 40 psi .The handling is much better and twisty roads the car feels lovely.The engine feels more lively and rev happy now

Fuel economy is however 11.2 Km/liter with A/C or heater on all times for a commute of  10 kms daily.If commute is more than 15kms the fuel econmy climbs up to 13- 14km/liter.

Update - 13.1.2011 - Recurrence of same problems

I am experiencing the same noise which is similar to old car door opening( not Kat kat)

The sound is present when steering wheel is turned on acceleration or stationary.The  electrical problem has become worse now lights dimm  more when blower speed of A/C or heater is increased

I am really pissed by so called MASS who can't diagnose problem properly.

@Spock, already Swift is so prone to rattles and you are keeping 40PSI. What will happen then? Every other part would rattle, esp, our rain hit roads( better to say off-roads)

I used to reduce to 28-29 for city usage, while hitting highway, i go till 32PSI. Keeping 40PSI in Swift is Inviting Noise with Red carpet.

wrto the kkrr noise, it could be because of worn out rubber bushes or lack of greasing. 40PSI puts unwanted wear 'n tear to suspension too.
creativebala2011-01-14 10:05:56

I have filled 35psi on my astar and its still good enough. The ride quality has improved slightly. I am having a slight issue of my own. My astar's horn sound is getting really low these days. I have noticed that when the A/C is on the sound is too low. What could be the issue? Battery? The car was checked up by maruti nov end.

@Spock' date=' already Swift is so prone to rattles and you are keeping 40PSI. What will happen then? Every other part would rattle, esp, our rain hit roads

[/quote']

@creativebala - I filled 40 psi  only once and that to in A- star not swift.I have clearly mentioned in my previous post.The roads I drive only on  the Best roads in New Delhi so no problem of Bad roads.Only MCD maintained  roads are bad not NDMC.

wrto the kkrr noise' date=' it could be because of worn out rubber bushes or lack of greasing. 40PSI puts unwanted wear 'n tear to suspension too.
[/quote']

This recurring again I suspect CV joints or driveshafts since my 800 used to have same problem.Also I have heard there is premature replacement of driveshafts in some of the A- star.So I suspect it.

@nixon - Check your car's fuse . electrical wiring , alternator , and lastly battery

Hi siddarth,

First of all go to the maruti site lodge a c/o. Screw them. Very soon the MASS guys will call you. Make sure you speak only with their works manager.

Get all the doors checked, especially the hinges. All greased up. Then check if there is sound on rolling the windows.

Also check all the ball joints under the chasis yourself when they raise the undercarriage. Make sure they do Lubricate al joints.

Regarding the electricals, Check the battery at a battery service place.

Update - Noise coming on turning  steering wheel- 17/1/2011

Today I should the car to a MASS( deals with minor repair only).the mechanic their identified as a problem with suspension wheel bearings according to him,

So I called the works manager of MASS where I did the third free service and tomorrow he will be sending a technician.

I will update about this in my next post

Update- 19.1.2011 - car sent to Rana Motors MASS - not properly co - operating trying to hush the matter

I talked to the service advisor of Rana Motors over the phone, he argued with me that there is no problem , promptly gave the phone to my mother as in North India people listen only to females and old people .They dislike young males - Sorry to say that but its true.

my mother contacted the works manager he pulled the Service Advisor who acknowledged that Drive shafts have broken.So awaiting news tomorrow

Rest details  only in subsequent posts .

Lets see tomorrow if vehicle is delivered in a good condition otherwise I have to Ask my Father to contact Maruti and do needful.

I am really pissed off by such a poor response from MASS.They have had the vehicle for 2 days now.I had warned them to look at the suspension 3 weeks ago kept the whole vehicle for 2 days - just tried to hush matter.

I can't go daily to service center as it affects my work

Update - 20.1.2011 - Smiles are back and car is shinning like never before

The car was returned today with drive shaft of left side replaced along with ABS sensor. all was done under warranty( inclusive of Labour , VAT).

The service center did a complete washing of the car including cleaning of car for free.

I am very Happy with Response of Rana Motors MASS , though some arm twisting was required(without involving Maruti).The car now drives much better,

@gego&bones - Thanks a lot for your kind words

UPDATE - 2.3.2011

Topic - A  star to be sold!

I am planning to sell my A - star within next few months.The car has run nearly 6800 kms in 1 year and 6 months.The following problems were encountered and some of it is still continuing in this car-

1. gasket replaced under warranty due to MSIL recall of Feb. 2010

2.left side driveshaft replaced under warranty in Jan. 2011 under warranty- so watch out  owners of A - star about this as driveshafts have premature life expectancy so be careful

3. cars rolls and pitches in uneven roads

4. steering has inconsistency feel - heavy mostly

5.tyres get damaged easily and are very noisy

6. servicing is expensive due to use of recommended semi synthetic oil by MSIL( need clarification on this)

7. rod to hold the bonnet - plastic part is broken for second time

8. since two months , the exhaust has a rich odour( not H2S smell) and a week ago some black smoke came on starting the engine

9.MSIL dealership experience of Rana motors was POOR! felt cheated by this dealer as he sold me car whose PDI was done 2 months before I took delivery - SO beware!.

The Sales Executive attitude was  in different, not even once did he  offer a cup of tea or coffee for courtesy sake not  even to my parents ( not that I want to have a tea or coffee)when other customers were being asked .

On other hand MSIL dealer Competent Motors were excellent .

Lastly, if any one feel is offended by this post , I submit my unconditional apologies.

@Durango Sir - Thanks for your kind words. When one buys a new car , one wants a trouble free history, a knowledgeable service station but I can just forget anything and move on but what prompted me and family to sell the car was -

Axle giving in so early when 99.9% times the car is driven in smooth good roads in Delhi , driven by me only.

Also goggling showed that many  A- star have their axle replaced early , many niggling problems ranging from defective tyres , moisture in headlamps , rusting od bolts in A/C condenser.I know every car will have problems but A- star has many niggling which though don't seem that important but when you add all those things it just spoils the ownership experience.

Hey i wanted to know something. These days i have noticed that my astar shakes a lot from one side to the other while driving. Some say that its due to the bad roads and its just my silly feeling. But its just something thats there all the time according to me. When i brake suddenly,the shaking becomes somewhat like a rocking chair. Have any other astar owners felt the same? And one more thing,one day on a rough road i followed another astar and saw that the car in front was moving along steadily while i was literally shaking all over the place. Any reply on this would be really appreciated.

this is one very bad habit of kerala people!!!!if they see any nice looking or costly car,they will just go along the length of the car drawing lines smiley19.gif with whatever they have in hand!!!! i had just got my new chevy cruze teflon coated and within a week some one deliberately scratched the whole length of the car with roses drawn in some places smiley19.gif it is indeed a very sad experience smiley11.gif

i live in the pangode military camp section!!!it would surprise you to kow that it happened in parking lot of the army officers intitute!!!!!!somebody was brave enough to come in to the army compound any do this!!!!!

Even my car was scratched when I parked the car parking lot of  a Hospital in Delhi.The silver colour of my car helped to mask the scratches to a certain extent.

I did not repair  as every door,boonet was scratched and the repaint and reapir came out to be 12-15000/- according SA so did not proceed with repairing it left it as it is.This is a type of hooliganism rampant througout India not confined to Kerla only.

Hey i wanted to know something. These days i have noticed that my astar shakes a lot from one side to the other while driving..

Even my A- star shakes so I don't take it for long distances or outside Delhi.The problem I feel is to do with hard suspension and narrow wheelbase.

Hey i wanted to know something. These days i have noticed that my astar shakes a lot from one side to the other while driving..
Even my A- star shakes so I don't take it for long distances or outside Delhi.The problem I feel is to do with hard suspension and narrow wheelbase.

Okay,thanks for the reply. So there is really nothing to worry i suppose. Anyway,will do a check up. Better safe than worry smiley1.gif