Innocent

Refilling R134 gas in R12 car ac condense

Respected Members,

My M800 car a/c is having a R12 gas condenser which needs top-up but this gas is no-where available in Kolkata city. The alternate suggested by the local A/C repair shops is to either make it R134 compliant which costs Rs.8K or empty the existing R12 gas and fill the R134 gas in the same old R12 condenser costing Rs.1K. The latter option they say is not gurranted and may cool my car for 1-2 months only.

I do not use my M800 frequently (Year 2003 model, a/c fitted from outside) and hence reluctant to spend Rs.8K on my old car. However I do need my car a/c workingto run it comfortably, so please advise whether I can go for the latter option as mentioned above or have to shell out Rs.8K as I am not planning to sell this car in near future.

Bangalore has nice weather' date=' so i dont think you need AC.[/quote']

I am not based out of Bangalore, not sure from where have you read it smiley5.gif

Edit: Another question... is there some other gas except R134 which can be filled insted of R12 which doing any conversion to existing R12 system... I read somewhere R40 as one of the option... please advise?
BornFree2010-06-20 16:40:19

Oh sorry, my mind must be elsewhere.
Anyways, it looks worthless to me to spend 8k on a 800.
Leave these mechanics, they are thieves.
Ask the Maruti repair centre, what do they say?

Post edited: Use proper punctuations & grammar while posting.
BornFree2010-06-20 16:51:24

R134 has very similar characteristics to R12, so therodynamically you are more or less Ok. What is does not like is moisture, and corrosive. So the system will have to be thoroughly flushed. R134 being more corrosive the compressor needs some work. 8k looks a bit high, but the straight swap will not last.

Respected Members' date='

My M800 car a/c is having a R12 gas condenser which needs top-up but this gas is no-where available in Kolkata city. The alternate suggested by the local A/C repair shops is to either make it R134 compliant which costs Rs.8K[/quote']

@Innocent :

Did you search all MAS for the gas ? It should be available (with so many authorized service centers around). Moreover which part of Kolkata do you stay?

All I can say is R134 is the gas to go for. Should not risk putting anything else.

R12 is not available anywhere. So the question is R134a with or without the required changes costing Rs. 8k or there is some alternate available required for R12 other than R134a which is cheaper/compliant?

Ok. I got the news. R12 is banned now.

If your compressor seals are not weak or damaged then R134 gas can be safely filled with. This can be done at MAS. I do not think it will cause any such problem. If you empty and fill with R134 gas, do it in MAS only.

This is a common upgrade for all old M800/Zens. So it should not create such problems (like lasting for a few months). They will change the compressor seals if you put in R134