Sign in to follow this  
NAREN64

Want to buy a Diesel Sedan

My Cousin wants to buy a Sedan & the same should only be diseal, becasue he drives 2000  plus kms every month in city & highways. His budget maximum would be 10 Lakhs. He has shortlisted the following cars.

1) FIAT - LINEA
2) GM - CRUZE

3) FORD - FIESTA

4) MARUTHI - DEZIRE

5) HYUNDAI - VERNA

He does not want Manza, Mahindra Logan & Mitshubishi Lancer. Any other car other than the above said within the budget(strictly 10 Lakhs) please add. Also please do not include Hatch Backs, MUV's & SUV's as he wants big Boot space.

The above said cars be compared for the following.

1) Ride comfort 

2) Safety

3) Boot space (Big)

4) Reliability

5) Build quality

You cant compare Verna or Dzire with Cruze, so if he has that kinda budget, keep Dzire out of it. For 10lac i dont think he would get Cruze, but if he can exceed his budget, Cruze is best bet followed by Linea, Fiesta & Verna.

In terms of ride comfort, safety, boot space and build quality I think the Linea is the best of the lot. And since he will driving on the highways regularly the Linea's highway stability and control is far better. The Fiesta and the Dzire are smaller cars in comparison to the Linea. That leaves out only the Verna compared to which the Linea is a far better car for me. And the Linea Emotion+ is packed with features and easily falls into his budget. Finally its the best looking of the lot!

I think Verna is a compromise but wait for the new Verna to launch this month end and see if some features are added , linea has good ride but for pure highway pleasure I would choose Verna.

Linea is best option as it ticks most of the boxes! It's within the budget, looks cool, solid built quality , great ride, good fuel efficiency !

Else, go for tried and tested Fiesta!

Tell him to wait till July end.

New Verna coming tomorrow which must have more features, VW has promised some exciting news in the first week of July, which might be Vento, and a Maruti dealer has been quoted by my friend as saying that a new variant of SX4 is coming, which I think would be diesel.

A car, though little old, but with excellent engine is Optra. Would not be my first choice because of its age but a great car none the less.

I test drove a linea diesel emotion pack today. My view is that it did not feel like a 10 lakh rupee car(otr in bangalore). The car that was brought for the test drive was shabby. The odometer was not working, the door opening lever from the inside appeared to be loose and about to come off, the central console appeared to be flimsy, it was yielding when I tried to use some controls. In addition the ergonomics isn't great. I can't operate the gears with the centre arm rest down and can't access the resting pedal without flicking the clutch pedal. On the positive side the pulling, handling and braking were good. The boot is not practical. Overall I decided I am not spending my 10lakh rupees on this car.

Wait for the new Verna coming out tomorrow. Hopefully the interiors will be refreshed and the missing features will be added to it. For 10L I think your cousin can even get the automatic version which would be a great choice. Second option would be Linea but I would be wary of the quality niggles and TATA ASS.

If the wait for the Vento isnt too much of an ordeal then by all means WAIT.

Fiesta and Optra are just too old.

Presently Linea comes close to tick all the desired boxes laid by your friend NAREN, he can go for it Safely.

If not, Then comes the Upcoming VW Vento 1.6l TDi, which would be priced atleast 1-1.5 lacs above the Corresponding versions of the Polo.

Wait for it..

And Hyundai is also going to launch the Spruced up version of their 110PS Performance Sedan -Verna. If hyundai gonna Improve on its Safety features like better Braking, Airbags, etc then It'll be worth the Wait..

dont go for it.
You will lose hugely on resale.

?

? chevy resale value is decent these days and magnum doesn't go cheap it holds its value , i would request you to find out the resale of magnum before giving such comments

look at lineas in second hand car market , Fiat fans would be ready for sucide or kill the car dealer.(afaik in Mumbai)

Plus the 3 year service package mean only drive and fill fuel.

Linea has poor interior, higher noice in the cabin, rear seat not at all comfortable, poor pick-up, poor ASS, so it should be avoided. As your cousin is open to everything around 10Lk, why not scorpio? Though to get the fully loaded version he has to stretch a bit, it will be worth. All the best.

Dear Subzero, I know. All your points are valid, but Scorpio has atleast better rear space compared to all the FOUR short listed options. Further, going for the sedan is due to requirement of Luggage space and I think Scorpio has comparable luggage space to all these Sedans.

Apart from the two points you have suggested scorpio scores higher in all other aspects. What do you say?

Presently Linea comes close to tick all the desired boxes laid by?your friend NAREN' date='?he can go for it Safely.

?

If not, Then comes the Upcoming VW Vento 1.6l TDi, which?would be priced atleast 1-1.5 lacs above the?Corresponding versions of the Polo.

Wait for it..

?

And Hyundai is also going to launch the Spruced up version of their 110PS Performance Sedan -Verna. If hyundai gonna Improve on its Safety features like better Braking, Airbags, etc then It'll be worth the Wait..
[/quote']

I think it ll also be beyond his/her budget since the price of verna is to be 11lacs when launched !!

@naren64 If in case your cousin can stretch his budget a little bit he can afford the cruze lt and this a good buy if your cousin prefers performance .If he/she insist on features and a vfm then fiat linea all the way a bang for buck with blue and me ,auto-ac and lot more at a reasonable price !!

I feel waiting for vw vento is not a good idea owing to their delivery periods stretching a span of 3 month . abhigtr2010-06-23 17:12:29

Linea has poor interior' date=' higher noice in the cabin, rear seat not at all comfortable, poor pick-up, poor ASS, so it should be avoided. As your cousin is open to everything around 10Lk, why not scorpio? Though to get the fully loaded version he has to stretch a bit, it will be worth. All the best.[/quote']

apart from the pick up,Linea has a good interior compared to Honda city which doesn't even offer auto climate as a option and priced higher only owing to its badge .and btw ASS of fiat have improved now days .By far better looking than an muv like the age old Scorpio.NO COMPARISON

I think it ll also be beyond his/her budget since the price of verna is to be 11lacs when launched !!

Verna for 11 lakhs !!  I think you misuderstood dude..

Its out & for just Prices between 6.56(base petrol) and 9.22 lakhs(for Diesel AT).

Well all of its Variants falls under his budget, probably the last one slightly overflowing over 10 lakh mark for On-Road price.

hi,

Linea is a good option and worth a buy under giver requirements, but could wait for the more powerful linea which is due soon or even the VW vento and new Ford fiesta are round the corner.

If he cant wait then linea would be the one, otherwise quite a lot of new batch of cars are entering, which could be worth waiting for...