Sign in to follow this  
garg.vineet1

Scratches on windshield

Hi

My ford Ikon is 1.5 yr old and it has got scratches on its widshield. These scratches are not visible normally but are clearly visible when i am driving the sunlight falls directly on widshield. Is this due to faulty wiper? I take care to not use wiper on dry glass.

Is there a way that i can smoothen out these scratches using some polish or some other procedure?

Please help me as my heart breaks when i have to drive looking through those scratches....

Regards

Vineet

Hi garg.vineet1,

Me too had similar issue with my Baleno Windshield. I have replaced the Windshield glass at Windshield experts (AIS automotive dealer in my area). The so called scratches according to them were some kind of a 'cancer' which spreads over.

If your windshield make is AIS, go to their website and register a query. Hopefully they will be able to give you a quote.

Windshield replacement costed me INR 6300/-(all included)

I have enquired about the glass polishing however, I fear if it may not be much of a use.

@garg.vineet1: These happen quite naturally. I call them micro-scratches. If they are due to the wiper then i. then should be inly in to area swept by the wiper, and ii. should have the curved pattern of the wiper. In think you will see neither.

Only thing is that these normally start becoming obtrusive after 5+ years. In any case safe practice is to replace the wiper blades/rubbers once every two years. Rubber hardens with age and exposure.

i think i do see them in areas swept by wiper and curved pattern is there too...!! Also, sometimes even in heavy rain wipers create a noise while running on the glass. In case wipers are bad, are they covered by standard 2 yr warranty?

@garg.vineet,

In a Curved pattern, then definitely these are made by the Wipers.

Do check your Wiper blades condition, i.e, Cracks, Hardened blades, etc.

They are not so expensive & are easily available in the Market too, so no need to go the Ford AfSS or Insurance claims, etc.

Go for CHAMPION branded(same brand which makes Spark plugs too) Wiper blades, these are alot better than the OEM supplied SYNDICATE branded ones & are cheaper too.

But all this above change, can prevent your Windshield getting scratches after their Installation but for Present scratches(If they are too much & are affecting you) you've to Replace the Windshield also.

But do remember, Windshield Replacement is necessarily followed by Wiper Blades replacement also.

Vineet,

Buffing and and polishing will do the trick for you. Scratches in windshield can often be buffed off just as in the painted surface.  There are lot of glass scratch removal products available in the market. If the scratches are small, then you can buff it using hand. But if the scratches are prominent, then you have to get it to the experts and get it done using a good buffing machine and then do a polish.

From what I have found , you can get if rectified from www.windshieldexperts.com in India.

I feel you need not replace the windshield. Buffing and polishing will be enough.

Also as suggested by sgiitk, get your wiper blades replaced at regular intervals or as you see wear and tear in the rubber.

Normally people staying in apartments have the habit of giving the car for daily wash to the car washing guys. These scratches are sometimes caused by them as they use the same towels for 20-30 cars.