creativebala

Future of Indian Diesel Car

Diesel prices are to be hiked sooner than expected. If this happens,  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Diesel prices are to be hiked sooner than expected. If this happens,

• Will buy a Petrol Car
    • Will buy a Diesel car, if its priced slightly above petrol
    • Will buy Diesel car, even if its costly like today

Today, the car cos are selling Diesel cars at a good premium. But Indians are still crazy for Diesel as

Pros

i. It gives better mileage than Petrol counterpart

ii. Heavily Subsidized Diesel

ii. Diesel's Torque

iv. Better Resale

Cons

i. Costs atleast a sizable amount more than petrol

ii. Maintainance costs too higher

Indians are still in favour of Diesels, as the Pros outdo the Cons.

But when, the Diesel price increases, the future will be like

Pros

i. It gives better mileage than Petrol counterpart

ii. Diesel's Torque

Cons

i. Costs atleast a sizable amount more than petrol( this gap could be narrowed)

ii. Maintainance costs too higher

So, this would make the Petrol Vehicles the favourite for the mass

That's the problem in our country.

Reva gets huge subsidies in other countries, but in India, it gets nil.

It is supposed to sell for just about Rs 2 -2.5 lakh here(the new model) then there will be buyers.

All depends on consequences(including tax benefits and subsidy). Today, when diesel prices are less than that of petrol, we find diesel cars economical. Even a older generation diesel car(before Common rail) is far more economical in the long run. For small cars it is not a matter of serious concern, but for a mid size sedan or a luxury sedan diesel makes a big difference. Power might be less than that of petrol variants but they are very much drivable and upto the mark. A diesel sedan delivering 14kmpl in diesel is far better in cost part than a petrol variant (say it will give not more than 9-10kmpl in petrol).

If petrol and diesel prices become equal, then a Petrol small car makes more sense as it will be cheaper to buy(initial cost), maintenance costs will be lower but running cost a bit higher (as a diesel will give better FE). But for a sedan still a diesel should make more sense as running cost might just outwit the initial difference and maintenance cost.

All depends on technology. Like Mercedes CGI if common rail petrol technology comes in cheap some day then Petrol and Diesel might just be equal in terms of cost factor. If diesel improves further more with cheaper maintenance and cheaper parts, then diesel might just have an edge.

sb-alto2010-07-02 04:12:26

I think there is a lot of noise due to the lower price of diesel. If the prices are brought at par or the Parikh proposal of a Rs.80,000 tax on diesel cars is implemented, I am sure the demand will plummet.

Also, diesel mania is more in the south - poor rail network, safer night driving and higher fuel prices all contribute to it.

Also' date=' diesel mania is more in the south

[/quote']

Moreover, South India is a tourist hotspot. So tourist taxis and commercial cars are hugely popular which are all diesel.

Agreed, but nowadays, petrol cars are also available for hire.

Refinement & Perfection are my 1st Preference

& I also love the Torque-ish Pull & Engine clutter of the Diesel engined car.

My daily driving is Average 1000kms/month & for Sure my Next car definitely will be the Diesel One.

Petrols like i-VTECs or K-Series are 2nd on my Options list..
dr_nishu2010-07-02 17:00:23

Also' date=' diesel mania is more in the south - poor rail network, safer night driving and higher fuel prices all contribute to it.[/quote']

I partly agree, on higher fuel prices, down south. But rail connectivity is quiet good and now with irctc.co.in it's done from the comfort of our homes. Night driving, is unsafe and even some taxi drivers agree that they are very skeptical of night driving due to poorly illuminated highways and dazzling on coming traffic headlights. Every morning news brings us horrific scenes of crashes of the previous day.

Railway travel is very convenient. Especially if travelling by pre-reserved 3AC, 2AC classes and such.

And yes, highways are always under construction, are full of irresponsible drivers or errant villagers.

Diesel cars have the reputation of being cheap on the long run, which is not always true.

No wonder we see so many people who don't use their car too much owning 

diesel cars.

A Petrol car for me anyday. Thats the answer I give to people who say to me when they see my dad's ANHC 'why spend 9 lakhs on a PETROL car'.

@the_forum_members - So what will be the price of diesel if hiked ?? Please give an idea. Experts like SG sir, DD, Nishu Doc,etc.., please chip in your views.

@driftpunk: Look at the diesel price shock thread. The subsidy component of diesel is about Rs.1.50 to 2.00. This may go soon, possibly compensated by a reduction in taxes.

Remember that prices will go up and down as the petroleum prices move. According to the pundits expect $100 before you expect $50!

There is also some talk that the Private Sector with their higher efficiency and lower manpower costs may undercut the PSUs in the not too distant future.

Something fishy in this petroleum products pricing. Ok it's understandable India needs to pay in petrodollars ala American invention, to oil suppliers but simultaneously the Central govt is making lot of money through peoples taxes!

Indirect taxes contribute majorly, which was not the case 10 years ago. VAT CST SERVICE TAXES, everything is going up. The government must wake up, and use their head to do a bit of number swapping.