Sign in to follow this  
anjan_c2007

Unleaded Petrol Additive-Vintage Cars

smiley2.gifWe know that the lead content in petrol in the earlier days, was harmful and was known to cause neurological problems for all especially children, when the leaded petrol exhaust emitted by motor vehicles was inhaled. But this lead content was the saviour for the older engine's inlet valves, that used to get some cushioning. Now the deleterious environmental impacts of lead have been eliminated by the discontinuance of leaded petrol.

In western countries, an additive for petrol is available in one or half litre cans. Sadly in India this is not being sold. Owners  of  old cars based on the older (side valve/ overhead valve) technology  are missing this product in our markets. Valve seat recession is a common related problem in such cases, where neither leaded petrol nor the additive is used.

I contacted Castrol, who have been courteous enough to acknowledge that they will conduct a market survey and introduce the product 'Valvoline', thats marketed in the U.K. and other western markets, if there is a good demand.

IS it really required for carburrator cars of Vintage times.

Yes my friend rssh- you will find such ads in any western classic car magazine.I will jot down some quotes from a magazine very soon on this thread.

Thanks FRG I cherish your thanks

Since I also have a petrol Jonga, I keep my ancient inline 6 alive with 1% mix of synthetic 2 stroke oil. Actually old engines can take unleaded easily except for their soft valve seats. If that can be replaced with hardened seats, the problem is all but solved.

Since I also have a petrol Jonga' date=' I keep my ancient inline 6 alive with 1% mix of synthetic 2 stroke oil. Actually old engines can take unleaded easily except for their soft valve seats. If that can be replaced with hardened seats, the problem is all but solved.[/quote']

Thanks for updating our knowledge. Getting a hardened valve seat will be tough I guess. Is it technically proper to use the 1% 2T oil mixture with petrol?

The ashless synthetic 2T like Castrol JetX is perfectly fine to use in a 1% mixture with petrol, this way the plugs don't foul and neither does carbon build up on the head and your valve seats stay intact.