bumped into Hyundai's new 800cc car but getting closer to it revealed

it's original identity.

spy+shot-i10+fl+2.jpg

Being India's second largest selling car after only

Maruti-Suzuki's Alto, Hyundai has decided to play safe with the

existing i10 by opting for a mild nip and tuck job. It literally means

that it's only going to be a slight cosmetic upgrade to make the car

look fresh and appealing. From the rear, nothing except the change in

shape of the tail lamp lenses were visible through the heavy camouflage.

When we passed the car, we found out that the profile remains virtually

unchanged except for the indicators which are now positioned in the

rear-view mirrors. Moving over to the front, the major change that could

be noticed was the hexagonal outline of the grille, which could be seen

by the shape of the camouflage. Also, the headlamps seems to have been

blackened  out with a clear partition for the front indicators.

spy+shot-i10+fl+1.jpg

It seems to be a nice and sporty touch to freshen

up the looks of a car which currently looks a little dated. Also, except

for few feature-additions, no major changes in specifications are

expected with this new model, unless Hyundai decides to spring in a

surprise to us. Expected to be launched before the end of the year, I

sincerely hope that this "transform"ation of the i10 does not go like

the recent Verna Transform, which was criticized by almost everyone for

transforming a bland-looking car into an outright ugly one.

@MODS: Please merge if similar topic exists.

rahul18102010-07-06 07:19:59

i10 certainly is a class leading product in its category and is almost 3 years old now. It definately needed a freshening up and I certainly agree  that lets hope its nothing like the Verna Transform.

One question. Even though the design update is a welcome change, i10 is already the most expensive car in its category. How much would this design change and feature addition cost the customers and will it sit well with them?

There is only one flaw with this car, because of which it was rejected by us.

The flaw is that the beige dashboard reflects too much on the windscreen.

It got so annoying for me that I could NOT see the road ahead.

If this flaw is rectified, it is a great product.

I don't know why people are so crazy for Beige interiors.

IMHO, i10 has nothing in its kitty over Swift other than its interiors( May be marginally better build quality).

Swift scores over i10 in Looks, Handling, FE, Power, Engine, Diesel Advantage, Cheaper spares, better AfSS, mod friendly, VFM, sporty but still i10 sells more(No offence to i10 owners, just my views)

i10's beige will reflect on windscreen as winner said and also would be difficult to maintain in long run

@CB

Swift and i10 sales are neck to neck. Infact in May, Swift sold more.

Beige, to many gives a rich feel. I also feel that majority of i10 sold is 1.1 whic is much cheaper than Swift and competes with Wagon R.

Also Hyundai spares and A.S.S. are very much comaparable to Maruti.

I completely agree with Bala...

Would rather compare i10 with the likes of Wagon-R and Beat. Swift/Ritz certainly are bigger cars (maybe slightly)   than i10, Beat etc.

The kappa engine had an edge over the swift's 1.3 G series, but thats been eliminated by the KB12. I find the Swift and Ritz a better drive than the i10's kappa. Plus as Bala pointed out - Suzukis are always VFM. The beige reflection is really a pain wen it comes to driving the car. Blocks away half ur view..

@CB:

Take my case. My dad has had both black/grey-interior Indigos and biege-interior ones. I have always felt real comfy in the latter. In fact, I used to feel nauseous when I used to travel in black/grey interior Indigos.Might just be my own perception, but beige no doubt gives the interiors an airy, upmarket feel.

And as Rahul said, Hyundai spares and AfSS are as good as Maruti's, and are sometimes rated better.

Back to the topic, when is this face-lifted i10 going to be launched?

More than half of Swift's sale is from DDiS' date=' so if you consider Gasolines, Swift just manages to sell half of i10's volume.
[/quote']

But when you see the 1.2 liters Swift sold the same despite being priced 30k extra.

Well I think Hyundai might go in for chocolate beige interior for the new i10 too because now almost all hyundai car have this combination so one can expect choclate on the upper dash.

Hyundai has managed to compare its i10 to the Ritz which a segment above but it has been successful in it because the interior build quality is way ahead than Maruti even in the Ritz segment .

Agree with rssh. Compared to the price paid for a Ritz And its quality of fit and finish, interiors etc. an i10 seems like a better bet.

and if it gets a facelift with choc-beige interiors and chromes, it'll def. help sell in huge numbers against the Ritz. Hope the price doesn't creep steep.

Hyundai is probably going to add this Hexagonal grille design language(from ix35) in their new Upcoming face-lifted i10 front.

2011-Hyundai-ix35-Front-Side-View.jpg

While Interiors might get the Hugely Criticised Top of the Dash in different colour, like Dark Grey or Chocolate colour alongwith other Minor changes like Different Seat fabric design, Door trim changes, etc.. 

@bala,

i10 has no comparison with Swift, even their base versions(1.2 kappa magna & Swift LXi) are seprated by difference of Rs.35k.

No one Swift seeker settles for i10, only Wagon-R, Beat buyer considers it in his/her list.. 
dr_nishu2010-07-06 16:44:23

I do not agree that i10 interiors are any better than Ritz. The Ritz has got better plastics than i10.

Coming back to topic :

Somehow I feel that the swept headlamps looked better than this tiny headlamp assembly. Even from the camouflage it is evident that the styling is a bit down graded. The current air dam looks better and gives the car an identity

@sb_alto - I agree , the Ritz interiors are better than i10

The i10 sells due to perception being a class car and In India perception is important. the problem is that competition  has wrong products . for example  Ritz -tall boy design  but look at rear its  horrible . then take for instance A* criticized for lack of space and looks, plastics(Suzuki should have brought the Japanese A*)while Beat looks futuristic it doesn't strike the right boxes - a person wants a car with a design that is modern but not too glamorous - there i10 scores

Also ,the i10  has a pleasant looks , decent boot space , interiors ( see beige has its own problems  but it gives a sense of roominess , soft feel  which black colour lacks) apart from it the design of dashboard and the front seats liberates space , this makes i10 a hit  with public .

It's coming by this Diwali & with 1.0l kappa engine:

Latest reports coming in say there could be a 1.0-liter Kappa engine fitted to the i10 shortly. There is also the current 1.2-liter petrol engine waiting to receive CVVT (Variable Valve Timing) technology.

The facelifted i10 will have roof rails, different front bumper, modified tail lamp, indicators with turn signals and minor changes to its interiors. The big change will be under the bonnet.

Another nuke from hyundai , i can already see R&D department at Maruti-Suzuki scratching thier heads that why hadn't they equiped Indian K series engine with Variable Valve timing.

Another nuke from hyundai ' date=' i can already see R&D department at Maruti-Suzuki scratching thier heads that why hadn't they equiped Indian K series engine with Variable Valve timing.

[/quote']

The VTVT in the Verna didn't set the roads on fire. So just lets wait an see if it makes a real difference. I'd prefer if they came with direct injection gasoline and turbocharging of the same unit in the i20, that would make a real difference.