Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

Head Light Upgrade for ANHC 1.5iVtec

Hi,

During my recent Night drive on a Hignway I felt that stock headlamps in ALL New Honda City is insufficientsmiley37.gif. I want to upgrade the same with HID or Higher rating 100/90 bulbs to have a bright light without sacrificing Warrantee ( cutting of wires etc.).

I have read at many places that HID lamps if taken above 4300K is also not advisble as it has bad visibility during rains/fog.

I'm least concerned about improving the looks of car by installing HID, I want value for money and anything which really helps in enhancing the visibility at Night would do. I have also installed 3M CR70 Sun Film on my Front Windshield.

Need your advise on this.

I have a Swift and use Philips 100/90 with a Hella relay. I found the original headlamps really underpowered. As for electricals, I did not see any cuts to the original wiring. In fact, the relay was given a power supply directly from the battery.

I was advised against the white light by my car accessory dealer as its a known fact that white light actually blinds the oncoming vehicle more than the traditional yellow light. I am not sure about HID though.

As of now, the 100/90 are working perfectly fine for me. But I still feel whites would be better.

Anyone using HIDs here? Even I am really thinking of changing the yellow assembly (incl. the fog lamps) to whites...

@Bobby: Even I have installed Lummar on my front windshield. Any possibility of this film hampering visibility during the nights?

Neeraj : I have installed 3M CR70 with 70% transparancy. It does hamper visibily to the extent of 10-12% due to tint  and Honda City windshield being inclined at a higher angle than any other car but at the same time this film  reduces the heat during hot sunny day and glare of oncoming traffic at night by 30%.

Even I have 3M CR70 installed in my i20 and there ain't much difference with it .

Also if you are upgrading to higher wattage the warrenty is fuss because manufacturers clearly state that the wire should not be cut and the wattage should not be changed .

I have put phillips extreme and the intensity has been increased by only 40% but it is stull inefficient on highways at night.

Hi' date='

During my recent Night drive on a Hignway I felt that stock headlamps in ALL New Honda City is insufficientsmiley37.gif. I want to upgrade the same with HID or Higher rating 100/90 bulbs to have a bright light without sacrificing Warrantee ( cutting of wires etc.).

I have read at many places that HID lamps if taken above 4300K is also not advisble as it has bad visibility during rains/fog.

I'm least concerned about improving the looks of car by installing HID, I want value for money and anything which really helps in enhancing the visibility at Night would do.

[/quote']

See, what Bala said is the most value for money idea of improving lighting. I have personally used both (100-90 as well as philips xtreme power) and find both adequate enough for highway driving.

Now, using a 100/90w setup is illegal in India, so if you do it you are violating rules. Many people do it and are least bothered about other driver. Even I did it, but on advice of some of my fellow ACI members I decided to remove it and went for Philips xtreme power. This bulb is 60/55w and has 80% more lighting (intensity) than normal halogen. So it wont be a bad idea.

As for HID and 100/90w setup, the former requires wiring cut and installing a ballast kit. Even the best of HIDs from Bosch or Philips will require wiring cut and will void warranty. For 100/90w setup you need a relay kit (mico/Roots) and whether warranty will be void or not depends on Honda.

Lastly, even HIDs got a rule. You cannot have High beam HID light in India (if not projectors). So if you want to go for HID at all cost, then the best thing will be to go for a new pair of aftermarket headlamp kit ( projectors) and install HIDs in the low beam and a normal H7 bulb (60w) in the high beam. But that definitely voids warranty and is a very costly affair.

Lastly' date=' even HIDs got a rule. You cannot have High beam HID light in India (if not projectors). So if you want to go for HID at all cost, then the best thing will be to go for a new pair of aftermarket headlamp kit ( projectors) and install HIDs in the low beam and a normal H7 bulb (60w) in the high beam. But that definitely voids warranty and is a very costly affair.
[/quote']

A small correction dude, H1 is for Highbeam( Sorry SB, to pinpoint your mistake here, I know it should be a typo. I learnt about these just thro' your postings, so I am double sure, it's a typo).

@Bobby,

If you want to have HID, go for H7(For low beam) HID kit. If you intend not to use projector, buy the one with R, i.e., HID R(Reflector).

Alternatively, you can buy a Philips H7 Diamond/Crystal/Blue Vision for white light. Should cost you just around 1000INR. This some times comes with Pilot light for free, if not buy a blue pilot light also.

A small correction dude' date=' H1 is for Highbeam( Sorry SB, to pinpoint your mistake here, I know it should be a typo. I learnt about these just thro' your postings, so I am double sure, it's a typo).[/quote']

Oh thanks bala. My bad. Yes it is H1. Sorry

Alternatively' date=' you can buy a Philips H7 Diamond/Crystal/Blue Vision for white light. Should cost you just around 1000INR. This some times comes with Pilot light for free, if not buy a blue pilot light also.
[/quote']

Not at all recommended. These blue/diamond/crystal visions are worthless bulbs. They do not have proper lighting abilities and are just for show off. Low beam is important, so I will say a big NO to these lamps. They are blind in rains and fogs. Any halonix H7 is better.

I will say go for the Philips Xtreme power or Osram Nightbreaker. No relays, no wiring cut, no ceramic holders, no worries. Honda will not come to know even.

See, to be very honest 100/90w is definitely more bright and has better visibility compared to 60/55W Xtreme Powers but 100/90w as i have said is illegal and should not be used in cars as it blinds on coming traffic.

The normal headlamps are also 60/55w, so is the  Philips Xtreme Power, but the later has got brighter light than the stock ones. (but not as much as 100/90)

If you want to use a 100/90w then make sure you do not use the high beam too often and using the same will definitely void warranty, but using a Philips Xtreme power should not.

If you switch to Xtreme Power then get the headlamp beam focused after installation. Get this headlamp focusing job done at an expert service center, preferably a Honda. ( But do not tell them about the change of lamps ). Any local garage will be able to change the bulbs.

sb-alto2010-07-09 12:36:22

@ sb-alto: Thanks for your reply, but tell me how come warrantee is void if I often use high beam does it causes melting of plastic parts or blackening of reflector etc.

Also does it requires installation of relay to support these 100/90w bulbs.

Yes, for a 100/90w bulb installation you need a relay kit. A bosch/mico/roots is easily available for say Rs200~250.

Total installation cost including bulbs,ceramic holders, relay and labor is around Rs600-800 depending on places.

A 100/90w is not supposed to melt plastic or blacken reflector as these are not caused due to heat but due to UV light. Most bulbs today has got a UV protected glass cover. So a blacken reflector or melting plastic should not be a worry. But a risk still remains honestly. Since you need a relay and ceramic holders Honda might just catch you for using higher wattage lamp and get your warranty out.

Using high beam will not void warranty. smiley36.gif. Using high beam with 100/90 setup will create problem for other traffic and on coming cars.