AMG1

FIAT Multi/Twin Air Technology

The retro Fiat 500 will celebrate its third birthday very soon. To celebrate this, Fiat is introducing a new innovative TwinAir two-cylinder 85 HP (900 cc) engine.

This engine will be marketed from next September in the 500 Saloon and Cabriolet. This is the first of a new family of two cylinder engines made by Fiat Powertrain Technologies (FPT). it implements the award-winning MultiAir system combined with specific fluid dynamics optimised for maximum fuel efficiency.

Furthermore, by taking the concept of downsizing to the extreme and tuning the basic mechanics, the new family, delivering from 65 to 105 HP, emits 43% less CO2 than an engine of equal performance.

http://www.autocarindia.com/news/fiat-launches-500-twin-air

Fiat debuts two-cylinder, 85 hp TwinAir engine in Fiat

by Autoblog Staff

(RSS feed)

on Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:29PM

fiat-twinair-250-sub.jpgDrop a couple

of cylinders, add start-stop technology, slap a turbo on, drop it in

the Fiat 500 and call it a

day. That's exactly what Fiat Powertrain

Technologies has done with its

newly-introduced two-cylinder TwinAir 85-horsepower engine. The

engine has found its first home in the cuddly Cinquicento, but we expect

the mill to expand to additional Fiat models soon.

The gasoline-fueled, 0.9-liter two-cylinder motor features a pint-sized

turbo, Fiat's

revolutionary MultiAir technology and so much more. When dropped in

the Fiat 500, the new engine performs better than the company's

existing 1.2-liter mill and on par with its 1.4-liter while offering a

30-percent reduction in fuel consumption. When equipped with the new

TwinAir, the Fiat 500 can reach a top speed of 108 miles per hour and

can hit 60 mph in under 11 seconds. Fuel consumption works out to a

handy 57 miles per gallon (U.S.) and emissions drops down to just 95

grams per kilometer of CO2. With max torque sitting at approximately 107

ft.-lbs. at a low 1900 rpm, this little mill figures to offer enough

low-end grunt too.

We know that the vast majority of American car buyers will not wax

ecstatic over a puny 0.9-liter two-cylinder powerplant, but boy does

this little thing show signs of rockin'. Follow the jump for more

technical info on Fiat's breakthrough two-cylinder TwinAir engine.

Here's hoping this gem finds its way Stateside at some point...

I have a 2009 Fiat 500 with the 70hp 1200cc 4-cylinder petrol engine. I wonder if an engine as small as this 2-cylinder 900cc will have the durability of an engine bigger in size but more simple for the same powerful ( no turbo, 4-cylinder...)

The consumption figures seem especially impressive, especially that my 1.2 version already uses little fuel. (6.5l/100km, 15.4km/liter)

Is it true that this 900cc will replace the diesel 1.3 multijet 75hp whose reliability is catastrophic? The particulate filter (FAP) regenerate poorly, diesel fuel used to burn the particles back into the oil, which requires an oil change every 3000km to the "lucky owners" smiley36.gif instead of 30000km otherwise they lose the warranty and the 1.3 multijet engine is broken smiley32.gif

My main questions is how will the sound of this engine, the 1.2 engine is very quiet. I hope that the two cylinders will not return to the time of the 2cv Citroen that sound is iconic but outdated   smiley2.gif...

Is it true that this 900cc will replace the diesel 1.3 multijet 75hp whose reliability is catastrophic? The particulate filter (FAP) regenerate poorly' date=' diesel fuel used to burn the particles back into the oil, which requires an oil change every 3000km to the "lucky owners" smiley36.gif instead of 30000km otherwise they lose the warranty and the 1.3 multijet engine is broken smiley32.gif

[/quote']

1.3 Fiat Multijet is the backbone of the Indian diesel hatchback used in various brands here including Fiat. It's earned a very good reputation, here, in India.

The 900cc mill is Petrol where as 1.3MJD is diesel' date=' so won't replace each other.
[/quote']

That's Quite possible in France because of their Overall Running Costs, due to:

-3000km Service Intervals instead of 30000kms

-Almost Same Diesel & Petrol fuel costs there in France.

-Choked DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter)s there.

Is it true that this 900cc will replace the diesel 1.3 multijet 75hp whose reliability is catastrophic? 

... which requires an oil change every 3000km to the "lucky owners" smiley36.gif instead of 30000km otherwise they lose the warranty and the 1.3 multijet engine is broken smiley32.gif

Isn't this puts smiley25.gif for the Reliability of the India's favourite 1.3 MjD engine ?? about which we're still unaware of !

Car Manufacturers are barking from the roof tops about their new innovations which got me thinking on why Fiat doesn't do something similar. Think about it, Fiat invented the Common Rail diesel technology that has now become the de-facto diesel engine technology of all manufacturer's and is powering cars from the Nano (expected to) to the S Class. Their petrol engine tech isn't far behind. TJet is well-known but Multiair is expected to do what CRDi or MJD did to diesel technology - there is some talk about Fiat not selling the Multiair patent to a third party as happened in the case of the CRDi. Imagine, what would have happened if Fiat didn't sell the MJD patent to anyone?!

http://hubpages.com/hub/how-does-the-MULTIAIR-fiat-works

Anyway, Fiat is well known for lethargic marketing but they have exclusive websites for both Multijet II & Multiair engine technologies. The site has video's on the multijet tech in action and even one of assembly of the MJD.

Check out the link below:

The is for Multijet II

http://www.fptmultijet2.com/eng/technology/technology.php

I have got some questions...

1) Doesn't this two cylinder engine has an exhaust note like that of a Nano(I mean that phat-phat-phat-phatsmiley36.gif)??

2)Isn't this engine going to find its way in the engine bay of Linea or Punto??

Nothing can match the growl of a V-8.

The thing with downsizing and turbos is that they deliver good mileage only in testing conditions and not in real world. Right from the twin turbo inline sixes in BMw's to Audi's supercharged V6, they deliver the power of a small V8 with the FE of a V6 only in standard conditions. But in real world they are V6 engines with both the power and FE of a V-8 only. I would rather have a sweet sound of an engine with more cylinders.

Nothing can match the growl of a V-8.

The thing with downsizing and turbos is that they deliver good mileage only in testing conditions and not in real world. Right from the twin turbo inline sixes in BMw's to Audi's supercharged V6' date=' they deliver the power of a small V8 with the FE of a V6 only in standard conditions. But in real world they are V6 engines with both the power and FE of a V-8 only. I would rather have a sweet sound of an engine with more cylinders.[/quote'] smiley32.gif I agree with you.

I have many times noticed that if you ever try to have a spirited driving in a car low on power,then you get a fantastic single digit FE,while if you do the same in more powerful cars,you get a better FE as well as performance as compared to the smaller one...This is my personal experience and I can even bet on it.

I go to the my Fiat dealership this afternoon. It seems to me that this engine is planned for the Punto Evo too.

I agree, nothing beats the sound of a V8, or a good V6. What fun and how pleasant! And I do not think that the TwinAir engine makes a wonderful sound ... smiley17.gif

@guiguiswiss;

After reading your Driving experience of this Fiat 500 w.r.t the Engine Note & Performance, Answers all the Queries of the Indian 2-cylinder Twin-Air engine seekers.

Cons of 2-Cylinder engine Note & Smaller Displacement remains even with Higher Power. 

After seeing( not reading) road test of Fiat 500 Twin Air - I felt what on earth are manufacturers thinking- this two cylinder engine whatever Fiat may claim feels and drives like a twin cylinder motorbike which was acceptable 30- 40 years back - but now this unacceptable and  shows how technology has remained stagnant.I will still go for a four cylinder or three cylinder engine for economy cars