praji.ooo

Failed Airbag

My friend's innova got a major accident and does not explode its airbag. It's a front collision and whole front part was damaged because of this his forehead hit the streering wheel.

Can we complaint to the company.

Why the air bag didnot explode?

Was he wearing belts? If not you can easily go and hit the steering even if the deceleration is not severe. If he was not wearing belts (primary restraint system) then cribbing about the secondary system in my view may not cut much ice.smiley21.gif

Of course he can, and should complain.

sgiitk2010-07-14 18:32:10

He was not wearing the seat belt.

Is there any system that locks the airbag when not wearing the seatbelt in any car.

Why it is saying that without seatbelt airbag is a waste, what is its scientific reason?

I don't think these cars(Corolla, Innova) have a system by which the Airbags deploy only with seat belts on. Though in such an event even if they get deployed, there could be increased risk of injury instead of safety.

Still I feel if the said system is not in place, the Airbags should have deployed & a failure should definitely be brought to notice.

But my doubt is why the airbag doesnt explode.

Is there any same incident for anyone else...

Wish that this doesn't happen to anyone. But the defect has to be reported; as mentioned Airbag is only SRS = Supplemental restraint system, at best it can deploy and protect fully if the seat belts are on.

No the two systems, belts and airbags are independent.

You need far less acceleration to hit the steering than to deploy the airbag. My simple point was that the fact that there was front end damage and he hit the steering does not necessarily imply sufficient acceleration for the bags to deploy.

Also, the bag 'deploys' and not 'explodes'. Just a term.

The chances of airbag failure, howsoever unlikely, cannot be totally ruled out.

Well i have heard that there is also a certain speed limit for airbags to deploy, it also considers the nature of impact to front end. And as far as i know there is a certain point/spot in the steering, if you hit there at speed with heavy impact then it deploys(correct me if i am wrong).

Also in my Jetta, its mandatory to have seat belts on for both driver as well as co-driver for airbags to deploy & for that only there is an irritating seat belt warning buzzer for both persons.

@bluesapphire: The interlock is news to me. Yes, I forgot the minimum speed bit. there is a thin line between desirable and undesirable Airbag deployment.

If you get deployment by hitting a point on the mechanism, it is not totally out of the realm of possibility. What is the deployment mechanism, is simply a mass (ball) on a spring, with contacts all round. As soon as the acceleration crosses a limit, the mass touches the contact(s) and Bang!

My Civic also beeps intermittently and repeatedly if the belt is not worn. I have seen chaps putting the clasp and then sitting on top of the belt. You cannot educate fools, can you!

@prajo.ooo

I don't really care for you stupid friend even if he banged his head , if he would have worn the seat belt the pre tensioner would have avoided head injury . May this incident give him some knowledge .

I have seen chaps putting the clasp and then sitting on top of the belt. You cannot educate fools' date=' can you!

[/quote']

Correctly said sir. Even I have seen people do this foolish thing again and again. They just want to get rid of the irritating beep from not wearing the seatbelt. They get a great level of satisfaction in misguiding the seat belt sensors and put their lives in danger.

@prajo.ooo

I don't really care for you stupid friend even if he banged his head ' date=' if he would have worn the seat belt the pre tensioner would have avoided head injury . May this incident give him some knowledge .

[/quote']

At least prajo.oo's friend has learned his lesson. Let's hope he wear's his seatbelt from now on.

BUT yes, Prajo, you can ask the company why the airbags didnt inflate, though they wouldn't have helped your friend much, as he was not wearing his seatbelt.

I have seen chaps putting the clasp and then sitting on top of the belt. You cannot educate fools' date=' can you!

[/quote']

Correctly

said sir. Even I have seen people do this foolish thing again and

again. They just want to get rid of the irritating beep from not

wearing the seatbelt. They get a great level of satisfaction in

misguiding the seat belt sensors and put their lives in danger.

I've seen people doing that. But one can educate so called 'fools'

.There is something called government mandate, which has been scantily

practised here in India, which has the potential to educate these

fools. +1

Not likely. According to both bluesapphire's post and my understanding the circuit may have to be armed. Also, having it go off may be a hazard. There may be someone in the static car in a position where he/she may get injured.

Let me add, in cars equipped with Airbags definitely no children/infants in the front.

Let me add' date=' in cars equipped with Airbags definitely no children/infants in the front.

[/quote']

Unless the passenger airbag is turned off, right?

Remarks:

And pray tell me how do you do that! Children / Infants should never be in the front seat. Try it in Europe and the first fine will teach you very fast.

This is dangerous, and Bags make it potentially lethal.

sgiitk2010-07-16 11:52:57