amjustadreamer

Surgical spirit as a pre-wax cleaner?

Has anyone tried using isopropyl-alcohol aka surgical-spirit aka rubbing-alcohol to clean the carspaints surface of impurities before putting on the wax? I read it can be used this way, would like to know if anyone tried it and how was the end result?

I got my collinite 845 delivered and would be trying it on my figo this sunday (if it doesnt rain!)

-Sandeep

Spirit might wash off paint or damage it. I do not think it is a very good idea. Instead wash with formula1 wash and polish with some good quality Sonax/Formula1 polish.

Please do not do anything you are unsure about. Do not take risk. I do not think cars get so dirty that impurities needs to be washed with spirits. A normal car wash will help a lot.

Isopropanol is almost certainly quite safe. It is called rubbing alcohol in the west.

Do not try solvents like Acetone, Trichloroethylene, Carbon Tetrachloride, Xylene etc. They will damage both rubber and paintwork. 

You can use spirit for cleaning tar marks and minor scratches and mark from rubstrips from other vehicles, when they scrape against your car. You'll be surprised how simple and effective a solution it is. But be careful when using it on body colored bumpers as sometimes the paint may change color, if the bumpers haven't received enough coats of paint.

I got my collinite 845 delivered and would be trying it on my figo this sunday (if it doesnt rain!)

What is collinite 845?? I use 3M rub in polish to clean out the surface scratches and impurities. Works very well.

What is collinite 845?? I use 3M rub in polish to clean out the surface scratches and impurities. Works very well.

Don't go in for expensive stuff, Aftershave works just fine.

You But be careful when using it on body colored bumpers as sometimes the paint may change color' date=' if the bumpers haven't received enough coats of paint. [/quote']

Thanks for the caution , will take care. Planning to use a diluted mix with 50% water.

@5u3zEr0 :

Collinite 845 is a liquid insulator wax..Did a lot of research before buying.They say(I'm yet to try first hand), it is one of the most durable car wax in market, and is even used in marine and aircraft industry.
It has no polishing or cleaning agents in it.Thats why the plan to use rubbing alcohol to clear the rough surface impurities(tar etc) before I seal the paint with wax.

Yes collinite is a really durable wax ,have read some good reviews about it .

Normally I use acetone to remove scratch by using ear buds , then wax the place for 5 mins, and it certainly helps/

@sgiitk you are absolutely right ,one envy person purpousfully scratched the front passenger door and I applied acetonbe to slight dissolve paint so that it reaches the bare metal part , still the scratch is clearly visible and only touch up can be done .

Finished waxing the top and the entire right-side of my figo with collinite 845.The bonnet and left side was warm to touch so didn't wax it yet- planning to do it later in the evening.Some pics of the rain-water beading on the roof.

Image 1:

dscn3498.jpg

Finished waxing the top and the entire right-side of my figo with collinite 845.The bonnet and left side was warm to touch so didn't wax it yet- planning to do it later in the evening.Some pics of the rain-water beading on the roof.

Image 2:

dscn3500.jpg

Image 3:

zoombead.jpg

About surgical spirit/isopropyl alcohol(IA) :

Used it successfully to remove couple of sticky spots quickly.But removing the tar wasn't very easy and quick.Patience was required to soak each tar spot with IA for a min and then wipe out.

Apart from removing tar/sticky spots, the clean areas also became "shiny".