Scoop! Sonalika engine for Tavera

I found the article:

HERE

Chevrolet Tavera, that was pulled out of BS IV cities, will soon

make a comeback. This time, it will be powered by a sub- 2.0-litre

common-rail diesel engine that will be sourced from local car

manufacturer, Sonalika.

Tavera

That MG Rover UK engine is Really a Yuck !!

Alonwith its very limited Rev-range, Its Turbo lag is terrible, which makes her(Rhino) almost un-driveable in the Mountains.

But IMO, Chevrolet will be thinking 'Its better to have something than Nothing'.

Thats a shame for a renowned company like GM who have state of the art R&D centres in china. they could have used the 2.0 crdi engine used in cruze and reduced the bhp. now its sales would fall even more.. thanks to sonalika..

Alonwith its very limited Rev-range' date=' Its Turbo lag is terrible, which makes her(Rhino) almost un-driveable in the Mountains.

But IMO, Chevrolet will be thinking 'Its better to have something than Nothing'.
[/quote']

I really loved the Rhino. I remember when ,my Dad was commissioned a brand new top-end version when we were in Mysore. I had a great time, but unluckily, we were re-assigned an Indica after a month.smiley19.gifOne can say, the Rhino was destroyed thanks to its engine.

Let's hope the engine gets tuned up better for the Tavera.

As Doc said, something is better than nothing!

arkboypunk12010-07-16 17:06:53

I think GM India has become a sort of 'Step Son' for the parent. It gets Chinese products and Common rail diesel unit from 'Sonalika'. I get the feeling that GM India is taking the saying 'Stooping' (too low) to conquer' a little too seriously. At this rate it will sow seeds of doubt, regards quality and reliability, in the minds of it's clients.

Peple are not intrigued by the word Sonalika, the question is why should GM a Auto Gaint go for Sonalika(Rover) Engine's. Can't GM develope their own Engine which meets BS IV norms. One fine day if Sonalika or Rover refuses to supply engines & spares what will happen is another question.

GM parted from ISUZU Partnership.It can't source the engines from it anymore.GM doesn't has any diesel engine technology,except VCDi in India.According to the new news,Sonalika has stopped producing MG Rover engine and substituted it with an ISUZU engine which it got license from.

Check the figures,

engine%20sp%20new%20copy.jpg

Go through the links too,

Link 1

Link 2

GM parted from ISUZU Partnership.It can't source the engines from it anymore.GM doesn't has any diesel engine technology' date='except VCDi in India.According to the new news,Sonalika has stopped producing MG Rover engine and substituted it with an ISUZU engine which it got license from.

Check the figures,

engine%20sp%20new%20copy.jpg

Go through the links too,

Link 1

Link 2 [/quote']

Now that's what I call a bottle-neck situation.

I am planning to design, develop, manufacture and supply diesel engines.

I am also planning to have a very low-cost special offer to GM, once the global leader in automobiles.  

Ha ha ha ha....

This is the death knell for Tavera.  The best part of Tavera is the luggage space. 

Even now, I use it (take it on hire) for shifting some of my office equipment from one town to the other (I do it once a month....).  Tavera can take in twice the quantity of equipment which a Innova carries.  Other than this feature, there is hardly anything special about a Tavera.  During my long trips on such hired Taveras, the drivers always complain about the horrible engine (which will not last more than 70 to 80 thousand KMs), below average service support and less efficient AC.  Almost all Taveras fit the second AC which is an after-market fitment. 

Even those taxi chaps who are planning to go in for Taveras will be put off by this news.

The segment Chevy is targeting in the BS4 cities is obviously the taxi market. They had to find the simplest and most economical way to make sure Tavera which has been ruling this market since the Qualis was shut down, continues to do so. So overall sourcing the Sonalika engine for them is a sensible move for them.

The segment Chevy is targeting in the BS4 cities is obviously the taxi market. They had to find the simplest and most economical way to make sure Tavera which has been ruling this market since the Qualis was shut down' date=' continues to do so. So overall sourcing the Sonalika engine for them is a sensible move for them.[/quote']

Even I agree.

Can someone please throw some light upon the feasible minus points of Chevy using the ICML engine, if any?

Alongwith its very limited Rev-range' date=' Its Turbo lag is terrible, which makes her(Rhino) almost un-driveable in the Mountains.

[/quote']

The Tavera engine was archaic no doubt. Its initial sales were for private use but later on the taxis dominated Tavera sales. The taxi trade was disturbed as Taveras were not to be seen in the GM showrooms. Now with the new engine the Tavera will be again back as taxis.

Dr Nishu, sorry to hear that the MG Rover engine fitted to the Sonalika falters in gradients.But as you say they will have the Tavera back again and its a thumbs up to GM from taxi operators.

62257899.jpg

This engine shown in the quotes above is Only Turbo-Di type Non-CRDi(D-Fip in ICML's terminology) engine.

While the Common-Rail Di engine(CRD-Fi) to which GM is Reffering & wants to sourcing from ICML is a this Rover based newly sourced engine,

dsc01585y.jpgdsc01586s.jpg

& its not yet Introduced in their production version of Rhino.

So, It would be like Wait & Watch situation for us from the Play of GM India & ICML.
dr_nishu2010-07-18 20:24:01

Probably the Engine change will be coupled with Minor Face-lift too;

& the probable face for the New Tavera will be something like this, i.e based on Isuzu Crosswind (the Australian cousin of the Chevrolet Tavera), shown in the pic below

2010-Isuzu-Crosswind.jpg

Motoroids