ZR 1

The Worst & Best Part Of GM India

car-red.jpg

Err,Guys,We've seen 2 latest threads describing the miseries owning a GM Vehicle.Lets be True & Straight Forward.I think there may be very few GM Customers here around,but I please all those customers to post their Valuable Comments/Reply to this thread.

So what I expect is that,

^^Reply from Existing/Former GM Customers.

^^As well as from our other experts.

The reply may be either +ive Or -ive.

So we can at last confirm,what's wrong with GM India.

Hope,we run this thread effectively.

ZR1

While the Optra's seemed decent enough in the beginning - We immediately know the Aveo was a horrible' date=' horrible car with horrible suspension, a crappy gearbox and to top it all it turned out to be a guzzler. [/quote']

This comment speaks that ,Aveo,as we know is truly horrible 'cause it's got a crappy Gearbox,Low FE,Low Drivability etc;

Although Aveo 1.6 is high on displacement the Performance output is far too low for a 1.6 and also is of less drivability.Many would prefer a 1.4 anyday over a 1.6

The Optra's seemed fine for a while till we hit the 60' date='000 Mileage mark - things steadily went downhill since then - first some godforsaken chip had to be replaced in both optra's costing us a bomb - then a hugely expensive service - then the A/C's packed up - then on one Optra the Fuel pump or something failed - that had to be changed for nearly 20,000 Rs - since they crossed 60,000 both cars have experienced serious mechanical failure and some part or the other fails - brake lights, headlamps.[/Quote']

Speaks about the Reliability of GM Cars.More failure drives than happy drives. Disappoints a customer satisfaction.Makes him feel like "I need to be ready to face the next problem from my car"

We have now sold both the Optra's for next to nothing - as they have no resale value while i will get rid of the Aveo soon too.[/Quote]

Shows that the frequent lowering of prices by GM drops the resale value of the car.

The best parts of GM is that almost all its vehicles come with top quality interiors and the 3 year maintenance plan.

Yes,it provides top notch interiors on the lower variants like Spark,Beat etc.Cruze?Horrible?Luxury?GM doesn't know what defines Luxury.

Cruze's Interior design is worsened by it's quality.About,3 year maintenance,it's fine.

Note:But,I've observed that the quality of LPG Switch Button is Just Too Worseon quality to accept this.We can even see the gum with which it is pasted on a brand new car.smiley7.gif

CYRUS432010-07-18 09:07:01

I completely agree with the fact that GM vehicles have far too many glitches than their counterparts.

I can say this hard -fact only after having a Opel Corsa Sail 1.4 with us for the last 6 years.

The car was terrible on FE. It's AC broke down innumerable times. Nothing great on this one.

Only +, I could recall would be the ride quality which is far better than any Maruti/Hyundai could even think of. The quality of interiors is another area, where it would definitely get better ratings than say a Maruti/Hyundai.

GM should try making their cars more efficient and less prone to failures.

I completely agree with the fact that GM vehicles have far too many glitches than their counterparts.

I can say this hard -fact only after having a Opel Corsa Sail 1.4 with us for the last 6 years.

The car was terrible on FE. It's AC broke down innumerable times. Nothing great on this one.

Only +' date=' I could recall would be the ride quality which is far better than any Maruti/Hyundai could even think of. The quality of interiors is another area, where it would definitely get better ratings than say a Maruti/Hyundai.

GM should try making their cars more efficient and less prone to failures.[/quote']

GM cars are low on FE,Yes.But not true for ongoing models,atleast better.

Yes,agree with "Failures".

But rahul,wasn't it better in certain areas?Can you please mention in detail?ZR 12010-07-18 03:29:55

Dont buy GM cars - all these free services, warranties etc they are offering are just gimmicks.

I had the normal 50,000 KM warranties of both our Optra's as they were bought back in 2004. All the major problems only cropped up once both cars had done about 60,000 KM.

Both Optra's were well maintained and driven on an average 10,000 KM a year. All services were done at an authorised service station on time.

Besides the major mechanical failure's we experienced there were a number of other smaller irritants to deal with like the brake lights failing, interior control panel lighting failing, the fuel gauge on one optra failing.

Just a horrible ownership experience overall and we will never ever buy any GM product again - I've also told this in detail to any friend or business associate who was stupid enough to consider GM.

Now I also have a 2005 V model Toyota Innova and a 2006 model Honda city.

The Innova has done 1,30,000 KM's of mostly highway driving including a 2 week trip to Leh-Ladakh and various other trips to the remote mountains of Himachal - till date there has been no mechanical problems with the Innova - not one. It still drives so well, and the interiors look so good that no one who drives it will feel he is driving a 5 year old car that has done 1.3 Lac KM's...that is how good the Innova is and that is why we refuse to sell it - despite getting huge offers.

My sister also bought a Honda city 2006 model for herself - the Honda has now done 80,000 Km's and has again like the INNOVA been totally hassle free.

We now have bought the Fortuner and a Automatic Altis and know that both these cars will give us solid service without worries.

I regret the day we made the mistake of falling for GM's gimmicks of good looks, supposed good features and low prices - learn from my ownership experience of 3 GM cars and STAY AWAY FROM GM.

That's precisely why, one must not buy two cars of the same model at the same time. Buy one, after 2-3 years, if its OK, go in for another one.

So Draven, Now you have sold both Optras and still have the Aveo?

So,what I learn from darven is that GM is trying to sell cars which are not professionally done to go with Indian Conditions,Or other conditions too.

I'm really sorry to learn about darven's misery with his cars.Yes,darven small things(light failure's etc) causes irritation smiley7.gif .

Latest Addition:I was shocked to see water coming out of my cabin light in my 2008 Spark.What should I do?

Yes - have sold both Optra's for peanuts - haven't sold the Aveo Yet as one of my nephews asked if he could have it for a while - Aveo was just lying around unused anyway as no one wanted to drive it.

I will sell of the Aveo soon too - I dont expect to get anything much for it - but i want to be rid of it fast

ThE @ll New    FORD fiesta .............. is to arise in our country......betN3-4 months    yaaaaaaaaaaay..!!

Excuse me?What are you talking about?What do you mean sayinh "Yaaaaaay!FordFiesta" in a GM India thread?

+ve 1s:

1) Good looking & Well finished vehicles.

2) Not so high Price Tags, making them Excellent VFM.

3) Excellent TDCi & VCDi Diesel Engines.

4) 3-years Maintenance Programe(extremely benefecial to Short time car buyers).

5) Reliability isn't that much Bad, as Problems can crop in an Merc or Ferrari too, since these are after all Machines.

6) Personally I love Gold colour finished Chevrolet Bowtie logo.

-ve 1s:

1) Dull Performing Petrol engines.

2) Being GM is having most of the Koreans products here, Reliability isn't that much Good either, especially after 5years.
dr_nishu2010-07-20 20:56:05

-ve 1s:
2) Being GM is having most of the Koreans products here' date=' Reliability isn't that much Good either, especially after 5years.
[/quote']

EXTREMELY Dull Performance from Petrol Engines.

One more -ive,I've found in many cases that GM doesn't cope up with new technologies instead use their dated technology.

GM never had any reputation for being cutting edge, or technically savvy. They make reliable, middle of the road cars that is all.

At one time it used to eb said what is good for General Motors is good for America. No wonder both are going down the chute. Uncle Sam and Government Motors!

I noticed that GM petrol engines namely the Optra 1.6 and Aveo 1.6 and 1.4 ltr engines recommend a 5000 KM interval for oil change and service etc.

Most ironic because average indian drivers who rely on his/her car for A to B transport feel like giving their vehicles for service when economy drops or engine exhaust fan works too much ! And then you understand why chevvy in India offers Korean GM-DAT engines and alongside gives a 3 years maintainence thingy free.

-ve 1s:

2) Being GM is having most of the Koreans products here' date=' Reliability isn't that much Good either, especially after 5years.
[/quote']

1. Than to say poor engine, I would say poor gearbox. See the 0-100 figures and you will understand what i say.

2. YOu mean to say Korean is bad. Take a look at Hyundai. I am yet too see a Matiz in bad shape. Most of them in Chennai are so solid and still in Chennai, you can't find a Matiz below 90k Rs

Take a look at Hyundai. I am yet too see a Matiz in bad shape. Most of them in Chennai are so solid and still in Chennai' date=' you can't find a Matiz below 90k Rs
[/quote']

Just compare 10 years Old Zen & Santro w.r.t their FE & Maintenance figures & latter's frequency !!

Matiz was an exception with Quality & Reliability from Daewoo & is still reminded by many even today.

Take a look at Hyundai. I am yet too see a Matiz in bad shape. Most of them in Chennai are so solid and still in Chennai' date=' you can't find a Matiz below 90k Rs
[/quote']
Just compare 10 years Old Zen & Santro w.r.t their FE & Maintenance figures & latter's frequency !!
?

Matiz was an exception with Quality & Reliability from Daewoo & is still reminded by many even today.

Do you own a VW?

We have a Spark in the family, which is two years old now. It was bought for my brother but it is also used by others as it is convenient to go into the city centre with parking hassles. Brother bought it mainly for the three years free maintenance and we have hardly spent anything on it till now.

I rarely drive it because it feels pathetic to drive and is completey lifeless. But the a/c is fantastic and for the savings in terms of zero maintenance I think it is a good buy. Oh this I forgot, that the silencer started rusting a few months back and was replaced the second time we sent it to get it fixed as the frst time they did not have stock of it. Its done close to 25,000 kms in two years.