praji.ooo

Alternator functions

What is the function of an alternator?

Is that only to charge the battery.

After starting the engine will the alternator do the current supply to the ignition, fuel pump..etc..or still by the battery...[0]Alternator

Alternator is basically an electronic device which keeps the battery charged-up when Engine is Switched on.

Hence, it is always advisable to put-off all the battery consuming devices, when Engine is switched-off. Otherwie, the battery will drain out and the car may refuse to start.

After ignition also, battery only supplies the power.

The Alternator charges the battery. When a car is running the electricity comes from the alternator as well as the battery. If the power demand is less that the Alternator output the the battery chips in with the balance. However, in modern cars once the car starts the alternator normally has sufficient output so as not to require the battery to contribute. In the old days the dynamo used to be able to deliver adequate output only at higher engine speeds, and hence the battery paid a far more active role.

You may have noticed that the batteries after the advent of alternators tend to be smaller. They are not called upon to offer juice that often. In modern cars the battery size is governed by the power required to start the engine, even in a Ladakh winter.

sgiitk2010-07-23 05:18:31

Alternators do most of the job once the car is started so it is a very important part of a car. And man, I don't know where I would go without an alternator for my ICE! In may cars the alternators get abused.