Durango Dude

Honda says G'Bye to diesel and Kei.

@ sanjay sir

hydrogen even though cleanest form of alternative fuel is relatively expensive to make and the manufacturing process is not so ecofriendly , till we find a cheaper and greener way hydrogen fuel cars won't see mass-production even though they are hugely successful , hydrogen power is also used to power submarines.

Alcohol is a good and cheap alternative , but two points

Govt of India does not allow use of alcohol , currently u need license to handly unprocessed Alcohol

easy availability of Alcohol will give rise to desi tharkas

@ sanjay sir

hydrogen even though cleanest form of alternative fuel is relatively expensive to make and the manufacturing process is not so eco-friendly ' date=' ........

Alcohol is a good and cheap alternative , but two points

1.  Govt of India does not allow use of alcohol , currently u need license to handly unprocessed Alcohol

2. easy availability of Alcohol will give rise to desi tharkas
[/quote']

I am not that sure about Hydrogen being so ecofriendly. The two preferred routes have problems. Coal based cracking of water has a Carbon footprint, and ii. Electrolysis - In India where is the power. Add to it the nightmare of a distribution system.

The Alcohol issues are regulatory and not technical.

I suggest you read the old threads I have referred to, esp. the Hybrid one.

sgiitk2010-07-21 09:42:37

@ sanjay sirAlcohol is a good and cheap alternative ' date=' but two points. 

Govt of India does not allow use of alcohol , currently u need license to handly unprocessed Alcohol. Easy availability of Alcohol will give rise to desi tharkas
[/quote']

Now the bootleggers can become fuel bunk owners. You would have a choice Kingfisher as regular and Old Monk for military applications and champagne for the Bentleys and Rolls and add caviar as additive and your engine will go "Burp"..err Cheers.

@DD: congrats for the lovely comment. I used to joke that an Alcohol fuelled Lorry will have two fuel lines, one for the power plant and one for the driver! You have gone far better. Should we not replace burp by hic.

sgiitk2010-07-21 11:51:50

@DD: congrats for the lovely comment. I used to joke that an Alcohol fuelled Lorry will have two fuel lines' date=' one for the power plant and one for the driver! You have gone far better. Should we not replace burp by hic.

[/quote']

Three lines to be exact one dedicated line for the poor people who get hit by the drunken lorry and driver in order to ease the pain after getting hit.

Love this one. Just corrected a typo in my post.

sgiitk2010-07-21 11:53:01

I think Honda thought about on a global scale were majority of countries give subsidy to hybrid cars and heavy taxationon diesel , were as in India its the diesel which gets subsidy.

Most countries are dropping subsidies on normal hybrids. Rebates will now be only on Electrics and plug-in hybrids. Japan just announced this, foe eg., which prompted Toyota to reduce Prius production.

Here is an interesting Japanese perspective

Nikkei column urges Japanese automakers to drop hybrids, focus on EVs instead

They are worried about Chinese grabbing market share for electrics.

Two things: i. Japan is a small country with superb infrastructure' date=' so electrics make sense. ii. Chinese will grab it anyway!!! [/quote']

Not just Japan - even in the US incentives for the hybrid are being withdrawn. In CA, a recent law removes special car pool lane permit to single hybrid drivers - only electrics will have it (from next year).

As for Chinese grabbing market share, I'm not sure, atleast in the US. Afterall not a single Chinese branded car is sold in the US - out of some 12 Million. Car sales are all about feeiling safe i.e. brand oriented. Chinese goods in the US have a reputation for poor quality and being unsafe. So, it will be decades before Chinese brands can establish even a foothold in the US ... BYD will probably be the first to attempt the sales, capitalizing on the Warren Buffet connection.

Honda  forgot roots - 47 years back Honda produced  its first automobile just to have a license to produce cars  in future - the vehicle was classified as kei vehicle - now it is abandoning its roots for profit sake.

same with technology - it was once inventor technologies like CVCC but now it wants to play safe - I don't know  what will happen to it in next 30 years - will it go done the history as company which refused to adapt to the new world ? only time will tell.