creativebala

Mahindra's SUV(Code-W201)2nd Sept launch

Only car exiting car in 2011,It does look great except for that door lever and the break in it's curves below A-pillar.but will I buy an Indian car priced at 12-16, at least for the next five years noooooooo

This SUV has entered second year of testing,no other company have tested a product like this.Looks like M&M want's to make it super perfect but by the time they launch it this could become an outdated product like some DRDO products

It is seen that a vehicle with rigorous testing and R&D is successful in India for eg Toyota tested qualis for more than 5 years and than launched Qualis and the same practice must have been followed in Innova and the latest in Etios.

So M&M's testing vehicle for 2 years is a good step to introduce product almost error free and without more glitches. A positive note to prospective M&M's customers.

Atelast M&M's are not like Tata Motors who do trial, testing and R&D on customers.

M&M is not following Tata's policy where they do testing and make improvements after launching the product and than introduce new versions with the problems rectified in older versions and the best example is Indica and than Indica V2 and now the same trend will be followed in Nano also.

I don't know why Tata and Mahindra are intent on asking "Fortuner/Civic" money for their vehicles ...

Dear DD,

I think I know the reason when it comes to Mahindra vehicles (as I own one and do not know much about Tata vehicles).    During the four service visits of my Xylo, I find that less than 10% of the owners are `Individuals' like me, who bought these MPVs/SUVs for their `personal use'.   Almost 85 to 90% of these vehicles are owned by some firms/companies or transport/travel segment or  corporate bodies.  For them, it does not matter whether they are charged a lakh or two more.  What they want is a rugged, reliable, faster vehicle with good service backup.  I'm also surprised to see that the service charges are usually negotiable for individuals like me - may be because I usually bargain to the maximum extent possible.  Usually, I am the only guy who is fussy about each and every item in the bill.  The others rarely have even a cursory look at the final bill.  I think this is the main reason for what you said.

@tejasmehta

Toyota never tested Qualis in India because it was the third generation Kijang from Indonesia,they just brought the old molds here when new model was introduced there.Etios is also an old model called Eecho almost a decade old.

Both these are brought to India after decades of testing in other countries but poor Indians fall for their marketing gimmicks.In developed markets like europe people don't buy Toyota there it's a cheap car with bland design.

Unlike Tata's acquisition of JLR mahindra's korean company is a failed company with really old products and not much technical know how than mahindra.

Mahindra is trying to keep the hype about this SUV alive in various forms like Team bhp,with their PR guys posting photos an reviews on it.But 2 years is a very long period in this decade   

@Crazydoc

Toyota is not no. 1 manufacturer in the world because people blindly buy it in India and it sells around 3500 cars a month. It is no. 1 because it has good, reliable and efficient cars, and sells well all over the world.

Also Etios is a new car. The design might seem similar to an older car but what we see is not always what it is. For eg. new Swift is very similar to old Swift but every body panel is new.

Mahindra has only recently bought Ssangyong. The W201 is neither based on Korrando nor has taken any knowledge from it.

Tata may have bought JLR but no benefit is evident. Their quality and reliability are still not a pleasant talk, nor are their vehicles great handlers. On the other hand Mahindra Xylo is said to have a very good and comfortable ride. Also Mahindra reliability is far ahead of Tata.

@rahul

Toyota is cheaper than VW in europe but VW is no.1 there why?

Yes this SUV is not based on the korean suv but by the time this comes to the market Ford and other companies will bring in less costly an more reliable Suvs

If M&M is an advanced company can they ever make a JLR kind of car.

Toyota is not here to serve Indians they are here to make profit.and Etios is an old very unsafe car even if you don't believe.I'm sure it will not survive any crash tests 

Why talk of only specific market? Europe is a very different market. Hyundai is ahead of Suzuki all over the world but in India there is no doubt who is ahead. Each market is different, and one manufacturer cant rule all the markets.

Firstly, Tata is not making JLR type cars. JLR is making and Tata bought it. It was cash and not ability that was talking there.

Obviously Toyota is here to make profit. IF you are talking of crash tests and devellopment, which car in that segment will be able to pass them. The boot pasted Dzires and Indigo?? What development and testing were done for them? A plain ugly boot was attached, because that is what the segment wants. None of these cars have any quality to boast about. Toyota has done a great job that it was able to sell a Toyota at the price point it is selling it at.

@rahul

Dude JLR belongs to Tata Motors,ie if they wants to make quality cars they have the knowledge and experience,but Mahindra can't match them.

Well as for crash test even Nano was tested and got reasonable rating.

@tejasmehta      Toyota never tested Qualis in India because it was the third generation Kijang from Indonesia' date='they just brought the old molds here when new model was introduced there................. [/quote']

@CrazyDoc

:It is Toyota and not any ordinary company who launch the vehicle just for the sake of launching it.

For brief regarding Toyota in India please read AUTOCAR'S "60 years of Cars in India 1947-2007" Chapter-10 , page 58.

The takeover of JLR TATA doesn't mean 'TATA' can build cars like JLR. The Chinese manufacturer Geely baught Volvo that doesn't mean ' Geely ' can offer cars and safety features like Volvos.

The JLRs an Volvos have made real innovations inhouse when they were on their own and which made them some of the best vehicle manufacturers of the world.

Name a single vehicle by TATA which is error free and is pleasure to drive. Tata is making improvement after it's vehicle is launched. In all vehicle they are introducing improved versions and that are with some rectified errors from previous versions.

It is a proven fact that even after Testing of Nano before launch (Whether it is done in real or not) there were cases of burning " and that to after Tata bought JLR."

Even what had happened to Indica when launched, it was so crude and was not even 1% comparable to Maruti vehicles.

The success of Tata Indica was because of TATA name and because there was no alternative to the Disel Small Car when it launched.

TATA as an individual car manufacturer is still taking baby steps in   ' passenger cars ' because they were Truck manufacturer before whereas Suzuki and Toyota are already matured in their passenger car manufacturing abilities.   

In case of M&M the Scorpio,Xylo and even Bolero are of acceptable quality from the beginning i.e. from the day it's launched. sgiitk2011-01-29 06:19:02

Name a single vehicle by TATA which is error free and is pleasure to drive. Tata is making improvement after it's vehicle is launched. In all vehicle they are introducing improved versions and that are with some rectified errors from previous versions.

Why only Tata, even RR had to recall. There is no manufacturer in the world immune to this. Every vehiucle, irrespective of the miles of testing WILL have gremlins which only show up when they are in the hands of the Joe Public.

It is easy to be critical, but there has to be some sense of balance. Also, remember the price points of the vehicles. Is a FIAT as well made as a Ferrari, or a Mini as a BMW?

I totally agree with you sir.

Even I am not denying that even Toyota had maximum recall due to serious quality issues.

But personally what I feel is with TATA vehicles is that it's vehicles are not like other vehicles offered. The first impression is not that satisfying which we experience in other vehicles.

It is my personal experience that 1st we baught Fiat UNO Diesel 1.9 and from day one the overall experience was excellent and as against that when we baught Tata Indica V2 Diesel and than Tata Indica V2 Xeta the experience was was that fulfilling from day one.

In diesel TATA Indica I remember that I had to continuously visit the garage for some problem or the other and that was not in the case of Fiat UNO.

Even on the 1st day when we took delivery of our Tata Indica Xeta we had to visit the Tata garage on the next day because there was some loose connection of the radiator fan which was making terrible noise.

@tejasmehta   Are you trying to say that Tata does not have access to JLR technology ? If Tata wants they can put a Tata badge on all JLR products.

If Tata does not have the knowledge they can never make a new JLR product because Ford will not help in future products.

Only thing Tata doesn't know till recently was how to make reasonably priced good cars but that has changed since Mansa,which is a much better product than any Etios.

@CrazyDoc

You are taking my point from totally wrong point of view.

We are discussing about M&M's World car and we discussed about M&M's testing their vehicle for 2 years and for that particular point I mentioned about TATA for their not doing much testing in their product before launch etc.etc......... .

-  I mean to say there is vast difference between the person who create a thing and the person who get access to it.

- Buying JLR doesn't mean TATA ' individually ' can make equally good cars.

- It is not question of knowledge of the company because TATA is truly a global company with best of world knowledge and their contribution in R&D. 

- I am not syaing ' Tata  ' (Please do not attach JLR) vehicles are bad but they are not at par with other vehicles in certain areas which is mainly related to quality.    

Anyway I am discussing here good and bad things about TATA.

My point is M&M's testing vehicle for 2 years is good thing from my point of view and I also stick to the point that Toyota's research and testing on their vehicles before launch is the best among other International companies in India.

@tejasmehta?? Are you trying to say that Tata does not have access to JLR technology ? If Tata wants they can put a Tata badge on all JLR products.If Tata does not have the knowledge they can never make a new JLR product because Ford will not help in future products.Only thing Tata doesn't know till recently was how to make reasonably priced good cars but that has changed since Mansa' date='which is a much better product than any Etios.[/quote']

Yeah right and then the Tatas can file for bankruptcy. Tata puts their name on JLR products and the world will buy them. You don't seem to understand basic business economics man. I suggest you stick to the topic without talking trash.

Lets stick to the topic guys. @cyrus an insight about W201 ? come on some picz atleast yaar.

@Tata bashers = its all about the buyers prospective, some people just don't buy the bare and skeleton maruti's they want a complete car.

Even Aston martin and Skoda has major niggling issues but it sells doesn't it ?

@Tata bashers

JLR customers are not ignorant of the fact that it's owned by an Indian co. but they still buy it because they believe Indians can make good cars too,but some Indians like you don't believe in Indians.

Some day JLR may spot (product of Tata) moniker.Like Corus turned into Tata Steel.

I'm not against M&M,just frustrated with this long delay.

Let's stick to the topic now,can we stop this childish argument 

@sarabjeet and @ Crazy Doc

Please don't call people who talk negative about Tata  "Tata Bashers". These are just different point of view. Tata is the most respected and they made us proud by  their recent purchases and also expected may be of Ferrari.

Regarding M&M's World Car the expectations are rising as the days passes so the soon they launch is good for M&M.  

Since so much has been discussed about TATA and it is off-topic, I still believe the incident that I faced should be shared. I owned a TATA INDIGO e-CS and will driving at 130kmph on Ahmedabad-Surat Express Highway, one of the wheels (stock tyres) got bust and my INDIGO took a tailspin for 4-5 times, before settling on sides. This vehicle was just 9 months old! I lost a finger because of this and my mother lost 1 eye vision because of this.

It's good to be proud INDIANS but don't trust your life on it! TATA vehicles are most untested/unquality-checked vehicles in INDIA. From that day onwards, I decided I will never trust a TATA vehicle (I do own a Scorpio though).

Since so much has been discussed about TATA and it is off-topic' date=' I still believe the incident that I faced should be shared. I owned a TATA INDIGO e-CS and will driving at 130kmph on Ahmedabad-Surat Express Highway, one of the wheels (stock tyres) got bust and my INDIGO took a tailspin for 4-5 times, before settling on sides. This vehicle was just 9 months old! I lost a finger because of this and my mother lost 1 eye vision because of this.

It's good to be proud INDIANS but don't trust your life on it! TATA vehicles are most untested/unquality-checked vehicles in INDIA. From that day onwards, I decided I will never trust a TATA vehicle (I do own a Scorpio though).

[/quote']

Be happy that a TATA kept you alive and with no major injuries.

My cousin was returning from Tirupati to Hyderabad on a 6 months old MS Swift VXi with total three inmates.

The same speed and front tyre burst and the vehicle had 4 time roll over near Jadcherla. My cousin had a burst fracture of his spine (D12 vertibra) and an uncle had a head injury (minor bleed in the brain) and severe ankle fracture. Luckily the lady was out with minor injuries. They were operated upon and are in Apollo hospital, Hyderabad still to be discharged.

Then what do you say. Should I also call the Swift the same untested and unsafe vehicles. Infact Maruti vehicles are not at all highway safe vehicles as you note most deaths on highway happen on small vehicles like Maruti & Hyundai.

Infact, TATA has the first standard (EuroNCap rated) crash test facility and are the only indian made vehicles tested. Thats why if you note most vehicles plying on the highway are TATAs and have a good track record of least deaths except on the SUMOs.

So, I don't think, your statement and hate are not valid points.

shanthanreddyp2011-01-31 10:37:04

@shanthanreddyp : "Be happy that a TATA kept you alive and with no major injuries." . Not really. I am ruing the fact that I should have spend more and got a "safe" vehicle. Sorry buddy we have difference of opinion and it's unlikely to change. I am interested in preventing this rather then survival after accidents happen.

My advice to whomever I meet is to keep away from TATA cars... It's not because of hate I have for them, but it's because of my personal experience. If it makes you feel better, I do own tonne of TATA MOTORS shares smiley17.gif