dhanisidhu

Gypsy

Logically, there is a very very limited market. The recent upsurge in Gypsy sales is because of a sudden upsurge of offroading as a hobby. It makes no sense developing an entirely new platform for the diesel.

Although, there is news of the Jimny to be launched soon. Let us wait and watch.

As far as I remember,

Somewhere I've read that, Before the launch of Esteem D, MSIL have planned the diesel versions for both Esteem & Gypsy with the same Peugeot-sourced 1527cc NA TUD5 diesel engine powering the Zen-D earlier, but don't why the plans for Gypsy were failed !

MSIL lost that engine's Era(before 2005 & BS-III) before the Arrival of MjD's, as they could have played Low on Price by Locally Sourcing that engine from PAL, instead of Importing them from France(like PAL is using for their Rio now).

As Cyrus said, it should be because of its low sales. If the sales keeps going well, we would see a Zypsy MJD soon. Not a big deal I guess. Zypsy's bay is pretty big, it can easily accommodate the MJD.

But still, I would say a Mini SUV by Tata or M&M would be better. They know what off roading means better along with good BQ. M&M is readying one, Tata should follow suite soon. 

OT- Why not Zypsy K series?

But still' date=' I would say a Mini SUV by Tata or M&M would be better. They know what off roading means better along with good BQ. M&M is readying one, Tata should follow suite soon. 

OT- Why not Zypsy K series?
[/quote']

They can only better it over on Creature comforts only.

But In reality, Gypsy is more capable than most of the Tatas, Mahindras & Even than many International Hi-tech SUVs & is extremely Reliable too, that's why Its one of the best Indian Army Weapon.

Only Old Pajero & Old Mahindra 4x4 Jeep, can match its capabilities.

@ dhanisidhu

You are from Punjab and Punjab has some great options when it comes to 4X4

option 1: Go to Moga and get a Mahindra Classic. Moga is the hub where Jeeps are modified.

option 2: In punjab, it is common for gypsies to be fitted with toyota diesel engines. Track down one such used car.

option 3: Wait for Mahindra Thar

Thanks Dr Nishu, for providing that usefull information. I was talking about diesel version of gypsy because no SUV can make competence with gypsy in this segment at this cost(some times). If it will be launched with  good safety features and superior interiors then it will be break in this segment.

I am from Punjab, here yet people love Gypsy, convert it into diesel with toyota engine and enjoy it. I think it has maintained a standard market yet that tends to people think about it. 

Thanks for giving that information. all you have said is really acceptable. But  ilive near to moga i know all this about jeep market in moga. These jeeps are not modified by following any of the standards, and after some time their paint is destroyed and lastly: "modified is modified" Original is Original.The main thing is that these are not supported under vehicle act.

As of now Maruti only has one Diesel unit that too borrowed from Fiat, its the 1.3ddis or the National engine! This engine will be small for a Jeep/Gypsy, displacement is far too low.

If Maruti was to offer Diesel units in other cars, SX4, Kizashi would be topping the list.

Diesel gypsy means a heavier engine and more troque , can the current 4X4 transmission handle the higher levels of torque ?

Had asked this question before but guess thar can heat things up and create the demand for Mini-offroaders

These jeeps are not modified by following any of the?standards' date=' and after some time their paint is destroyed and lastly:?"modified is modified" Original is Original.[/quote']

You can stand there and get the work done to your satisfaction.

The Thar might just be the final nail in the coffin for the gypsy. Although, there is that cool quotient about the gypsy that you just cant ignore....

@winner, believe me, one being there doesnt change the quality of work. I restore cars as a hobby, I know what I am talking about.

As of now Maruti only has one Diesel unit that too borrowed from Fiat' date=' its the 1.3ddis or the National engine! This engine will be small for a Jeep/Gypsy, displacement is far too low.[/quote']

Actually, the MJD will be more powerful than the Old Swift engine, so plonking MJD in Zypsy would do more justice than the existing engine.

According to me, Gypsy is a good offroader, but if I had to pick an offroader, then I would really think of the Gurkha or the MM540!

I know the price might be really high for Gurkha..but she is real beauty! butter smooth on off road patches.

An old friend of mine's dad plonked an old Toyota Diesel engine into a Gypsy. I went for a ride in it and came back reeking of diesel and covered with a layer of grime.

I don't think a gypsy multijet will make an sense, except for the Armed Forces.