draven646

Need Advice on SuV..

Need some advice on which SuV/softroader to buy... I already have a Fortuner and am very happy with it - altho the interior is a bit plain and the Diesel engine a tad noisy.

Now due to the nature of our work and travel, we find ourselves needing another SuV...Budget is again 20 Lacs.

GM & Ford are out as I've had a bad ownership experience with GM, and dont trust American car makers.

The Honda CRV is too expensive, plus a petrol guzzler from what I've heard. I test drove the 2010 Outlander and found it impressive, but am again put off by its petrol engine and no manual option - (I prefer stickshifts).

I believe Volkswagon is planning to launch an SuV in the 16-20 Lac category, anyone know any details on this.

I have seen pics of the Skoda Yeti but find it weird looking.

Any advice?

My choice would be Captiva anyday as its a sperb package. Its compact' date=' Diesel, powerful, seats 7, awesome interiors, rugged looking, 4*4,...

Since you don't like it, i would recommend to wait a little for Aria or the upcoming M&M SUV
[/quote']

Yea I completely agree with bala.. Not to forget the superb Adaptive suspension which does a gr8 job..

However If GM is not on your list  then the only options are Endy, Pajero and X trail should be a good choice if 5seater is fine with you

I am looking for something in that exact segment as well, but have found nothing so far.

endy- it looks more like a driver driven car.

pajero- too old and new one comes out next year.

x trail- expensive.

captiva - personally styling isn't that great and the car gives you a cheap car feeling may be because of the poor quality plastic used.

outlander - like it, but petrol n only AT

Safari, Scorpio, Xylo - to common.

actually thought of a Xenon XT it ain't common got that dicor safari engine. And with some modifications (which after the cheap price becomes easier to spend on) might be a it.

Sadly no one else in the family can think so much creativity so out again.

Oh and that VW SUV u mentioned r they bringin in VW tiguan?.... that might be the answer. or is it some other SUV.

@adi  I would like to add few points

endy- it looks more like a driver driven car.  And has a very bouncy ride due to leaf suspension.

pajero- too old and new one comes out next year. A serious offroader but not refined to todays standards
x trail- expensive.
captiva - personally styling isn't that great and the car gives you a cheap car feeling may be because of the poor quality plastic used.  I DONT THINK CAPTIVA HAS CHEAP QUALITY PLASTIC I BELIEVE IT HAS THE BEST QUALITY OF PLASTIC USED IN THIS SEGMENT
outlander - like it, but petrol n only AT ... Also has great interiors also with a good Rockford music system with woofer
Safari, Scorpio, Xylo - to common

captiva might not have cheap quality plastic but it has a cheap cabin look to it. Yes I was impressed by the outlander system but then again can't decide on a car by just its system.

forgot to mention fortuner:- long waiting period. (because of it never even had a TD of the car)

And Grand Vitara:- doesn't have that SUV commanding look

Only if they made Q5 here instead of a import and put a decent price tag to it.adi19912010-07-31 15:41:30

@Adi and draven

Have a look at Mitsubishi Montero, the Nissan X trail or the land Rover Freelander 2. All are pricey but lives up to its name and presence. Moreover there isnt much options in this segment.

@draven,

There's no Other option than Some l'll bit used Honda CR-V for Sub 2-lakh Price tag but Its Overruled as a Petrol Guzzler(A serious matter for Diesel car owners).

So, Only the Diesel option comes to the mind is Nissan X-Trail Diesel.

Though its l'll bit beyond your Budget, but considering its Capabilities, Quality it offers, its worth the Price paid.

& Since Nissan have also Ramped up its Dealer Network now, So Ownership might not be a problem too for future. 

Only if they made Q5 here instead of a import and put a decent price tag to it.

IMO, Audi Q5 is an CKD now & is Assembled at Skoda facility, Aurangabad.

The pajero isn't meant to be refined , it still find buyers the way it is . No one buys pajero for comfort features , it does best the thing it was made for i.e offroading.

look out for a second hand X-trail or Q5 or X3 for imports you can also get a Toyota Prado diesel if lucky u can also find a Montero

Now that you have a real biggie in the Fortuner, why not wait for the Skoda Yeti. Though a little small its got it all. I have been drooling over it ever since I read about it in the latest ACI. Its not at all 'weird'; its perfect. I was impressed by the way the seats could be removed in a jiffy (yesterday's Autocar Show).

Durango Dude2010-09-06 04:26:14

Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL) will soon launch its much awaited Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) called 'Santa Fe' in India. Hyundai Santa Fe has been given a stylish look from the exteriors and is set to give tough competition for the cars already vying for a market share in the SUV segment. The stylish design is definitely the USP of the upcoming Hyundai Santa Fe which will be launched somewhere around the end of 2010. The price of the car will be somewhere between 18-22 lakhs in the India. The section on Hyundai Santa Fe will bring you up to date on the latest involving the launch of the upcoming luxury SUV, Hyundai Santa Fe

Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)

154 bhp

Engine type

V6 Engine. 2.7L Petrol and 2.2 L Diesel

Cylinders

Displacement

2656cc

Max. Power (Ps at rpm)

185@6000

Max. Torque (Nm at rpm]

183@4000

Transmission>

Transmission

5 Gears Manual

Chassis

Braking System

Anti-Lock Breaking System (ABS)

Brake Front

Ventilated

Brake Rear

Disk Break

Steering System

Power Steering

Tyre Size

VW has some plans for Tiguana for India I suppose but I dont suppose it to happen soon! I personally love the Taureg but too over budget!

Since GM and HONDA are out and you already have the endeavor I dont see much options unless you wish to wait for the Santa Fe as Aditi has mentioned.....I drove one in Middle east it was good although do not know what they are getting to India is same interiors and styling!

As for Skoda YETI, I personally do not like the shape and its small to be a suv I suppose more like an enlarged Mini Cooper... Its coming next month If you can settle for it then book a TD and see how it works out for you!

I don't this Santa Fe will make any mark in the competition ,all I can say is that Hyundai has made a grave of their 3rd SUV disaster .

They should have launched it atleast 2 years earlier . It just to boring to looks and the brand though oozes of quality but the ix35 could have made a real difference and if competitively priced could give good competition to the Fortuner .

I will quote my impression of the SUV segment:

Lower end: Scorpio - any variant but not the M2DI or the A/T VLX at all.Interestingly the M2DI is the entry level and the A/T is the highest priced variant.

Higher end: Nothing beats the Fortuner. Despite the oddities its advisable to have a second look at your ownership and keep it for sometime at least.

anjan_c20072010-09-11 18:08:27