Jithesh

Kids and Cars!

I am amazed to see the passion for cars (and bikes) among the members of this forum. It has no age limit and I guess the passion only grows with age, when you get to know more and more about cars/bikes.

But I guess this passion starts at a very early age in life, perhaps like an inborn talent. I have been crazy for cars and driving from the time I can remember. I used to be so much bonkers for driving that I used to make any circular device as my imaginary steering wheel! I couldn't wait to get to the legal age to get my driving license (though I had already started driving a lot many years before.... shhhh smiley2.gif ).

I have a son of two and half years old and I'm not surprised that he shares a similar passion already. Cars are like the only things that interest him and he can already recognise brands by just catching a glimpse of them in crowded parking lots and busy streets.

I'm sure most of the forum members have similar stories to share about their children or their own childhood... and their unstoppable passion for things on wheels!   smiley1.gif

I have a son of two and half years old and I'm not surprised that he shares a similar passion already. Cars are like the only things that interest him and he can already recognise brands by just catching a glimpse of them in crowded parking lots and busy streets.

I'm sure most of the forum members have similar stories to share about their children or their own childhood... and their unstoppable passion for things on wheels!   smiley1.gif

Seems like your son too is like what I was when I was young! My parents keep telling me how I used to stop crying (as a baby) once I was carried to the road with plenty of cars.

Well, my actual fanaticism (or nerdiness) towards cars began when I was in Class 3 (2003). My dad had just bought his M800 after my constant pestering (in fact, he's buying another car for me soon!) It was around this period that I started reading car magazines, collecting scale models and making free-hand drawings of cars. And now, I have a large collection of mags, models, knowledge and entusiasm pertaining to the automotive arena.

There's a lot more I have to say, but I'd type the whole page, literally to convey it all.

arkboypunk12010-08-01 16:41:36

@arkboypunk1

Great to hear your story!

I remember being so crazy of driving as a kid that I used to sit close to the driver and not to take my eyes off what he was doing and how he was handling the vehicle.   Some drivers would take notice of this and would place me in their lap and let me hold the steering wheel! Its a good laugh now, but it was really important then! smiley36.gif

@arkboypunk1

Great to hear your story!

I remember being so crazy of driving as a kid that I used to sit close to the driver and not to take my eyes off what he was doing and how he was handling the vehicle. 

Why its the same in my case too! Even I am travelling alone, I sit beside the driver.

Driving fascinated me since my school days when Raju driver used to drive our silver colored `Rocket' , so well that we all wanted to be only drivers.  In 1970, there were not many cars or even buses.  My father never drove even a bicycle as he was very scared of driving a machine.  That made me (thanks to support from my mother and maternal grandmother) resolve that I shall be the first one in our family to drive, and own machines. 

I used to stand just behind our Raju driver (thin, always wearing starched khaki dress, and castor oiled thick black hair) who used to streer the huge bus with so much dexterity that we all are wonder-stuck. 

I specially liked the way the bus making noises when changing gears.  And, I still remember those grumblings. 

After my first bicycle (a black Atlas, in 1972 gifted by my maternal grandmother, for my being first in 7th class), I had to wait till my first job, in Punjab National Bank, Hyderabad branch to get my first motor cycle (a black Rajdoot, in 1980).  Unfortunately, my maternal grandmother died before she could see me owning and riding a machine, which I still have it with me.  . 

We bought our first car, a Premier Padmini Deluxe BE in 1985 before our two sons were born.  And the rest is not exactly history.  Omni E, Esteem VX, and now Xylo E8. 

Since the first day of owning my Atlas, I never stopped driving.  Thanks to the support given by my mother and maternal grandmother (and despite my father and paternal grandmother opposing it all along).  Except when I was sick or away out of town, I used to (and still) drive daily.  Just for the pure passion of driving.  Now, 50 years young, I'm still as fascinated by driving machines as I was when I first boarded our school bus in Warangal.

rameshbabu.n2010-08-01 23:30:19

I was driving my fathers scooter, a Vespa classic when petrol was selling at the rate of Rs. 5.50 per liter.

Note added:

Were you of legal driving age?

sgiitk2010-08-02 06:38:21

I share a similar story. I used to love cars and I could recognize them instantly by looking at the headlight design or rims or something like that. I used to use the dinner plate as a steering wheel and I used to have so much fun. Plus, my dad used to talk to me a lot about cars and related topics. That got me interested. Then came the era of Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed. That is the game I actually learned how to control the car. But the manual gears were always confusing. Once I happened to see my school van's gearbox(it was a 5-speed manual). I really got intrigued with it. My dad used to have only automatic cars. This was something new to me. Then i made really good friends with the driver. She showed me how to change gears and everything. Then I actually practised for the first time when i was 6 in the campus of my dad's friend house. It was a 1999 Maruti 800. I instantly took off. My parents were shocked taht I figured out the manual gearbox. Ofcourse, when i started for teh first time, i stalled the car because i did not know that i had to engage clutch and slowly dab the accelerator to start. But eventually got the hang of it. Now, my parents were really impressed. Now they let me do a bit of driving. Mainly because i dont have a valid driving license.

Speaking about learning to drive, my dad thought me how to drive our M800 at a deserted helipad in Mysore around the time I was 10-11. I learnt within an hour and practiced for about an year.I once thought of taking the car onto the road in Class 6(the local girls and boys used to zip around on scooters/bikes), but this was just day dreaming, and I never actually wanted to go onto the road. I am a strong believer that no matter what the extent of passion or peer pressure is, parents must never allowe their Kids to drive on the road.

in fact' date=' he's buying another car for me soon!

[/quote']

Is this in addition to a Driver?

No.

Indigo - Chauffer driven, New Car & M800 - Driven by my dad.

I was driving my fathers scooter' date=' a Vespa classic when petrol was selling at the rate of Rs. 5.50 per liter.

Note added:

Were you of legal driving age?

[/quote']

No sir, just driving in the streets were our house was.
NAREN642010-08-02 08:02:29

Do you guys have passion for cars only ?

I have a passion for jets' date=' fighter jets, choppers etc. Does anyone share the same ?
[/quote']

I am damn crazy about any machine that moves and that can be controlled. I am a navigational officer at sea by profession, and I really enjoy handling the big ships (I don't tell anyone that cos theyll surely think that I'm a nerd smiley36.gif). I often switch-off the auto pilot and use manual steering (although this is routine practice) just for the fun of it.

I have a great passion for aircrafts and have learnt a lot about them, and it is my ambition in life to get a pilot's license whenever I get the opportunity . I had this dream ever since I can remember (as all boys do) and I would surely strive to make it a reality.

I didn't share this here in this forum because that would be a wrong talk in the wrong place!   Jithesh2010-08-03 08:00:11

No one turns into a petrol head suddenly. If kids are exposed to cars from the very beginning it is not unknown that they will find interest in it. I guess everyone out here are examples.

I have no fascination for fighter jets but love to see the big Airbuses and Boeings. Passenger planes interested me a lot in the beginning but cars overtook it.

Another things that might surprise you is that I had no interest in Ferrari or Lamborghini from the early days. I used to love M800, cielo, esteem, zen, and contessa even though I had seen those exotics in pictures. Just that I had dreams of what was feasible. smiley17.gif

When I had gathered some knowledge and know-how on cars, my mind was bent to performance. Although I had no opportunity to convert it into practicality but it is still in my head. Love to see WRC more than F1 and admire performance upgraded Rally cars more than built to kill sports cars.

sb-alto2010-08-03 09:36:20

Another things that might surprise you is that I had no interest in Ferrari or Lamborghini from the early days. I used to love M800' date=' cielo, esteem, zen, and contessa even though I had seen those exotics in pictures. Just that I had dreams of what was feasible. smiley17.gif

[/quote']

How true! Even I've been the same since I was very young, and still continue to feel the same. I have no interest, and in fact get irritated by supercars like the Ferrari, Mc Laren and the likes. The only supercars I love are from the bygone era, like the Miura, 300SLR, Delorean and such. In fact, I'd rather prefer a Standard 2000 with an OHC Vtec's or a 2.2. Safari's engine and gearbox or a Skoda Superb to a  Gallardo

arkboypunk12010-08-03 10:09:32

Exactly same pinch sb & arkin,

Even My passion for Automobiles was even started with Cielo & its entry into the Indian market.

I've pasted its Paper Cutting on the Door of my Bedroom for the 1st time & everytime when I wakes up in the Morning, that White Shaded Cielo's pic was the 1st to Strike my Eyes.

& Later On, I've bought its White coloured plastic scale model for mere Rs.70 only & that became the 1st Noticed part of our Drawing Room's Showcase.

While, I love the On-Road Presence & Engine sound of the Cielo.

& later on, I've started collecting Maruti Range, starting from red-coloured Esteem, Violet M800, White Omni, etc.

After that, Every new launch & me on the Floor of its Showroom with My Dad to have a look of that vehicle & SE, even Sales Managers always left Stranded by my Knowledge of that Age.

I always love that cars which are Actually feasible, which can be Felt & seen here on the Indian Roads.

Not Dreamy Supercars, etc. Infact I don't like those Over-Engineered Cars.

& Last but not the least, ACI & OD from their very 1st Issues are my Companions which made me Hardcore Auto fanatic. 
dr_nishu2010-08-03 16:18:49

& Later On' date=' I've bought its White coloured plastic scale model for mere Rs.70 only & that became the 1st Noticed part of our Drawing Room's Showcase.
 [/quote']

Well, as a toddler, I had a 2 cielos - one violet and one white. Both are in horrible condition now . A couple of years ago, I searched the whole of Mysore, and found a Yellow cielo in OK condition dumped in the attic of some shop.

As the topic is 'Kids & Cars', I'd find it resourceful if I shed some light about Chetan Maini. He too was very passionate about cars from a tender age. Unlike most of us, he started doing wonders at a when very young. He used to build R/C cars and the like when he was 6-7 years old smiley32.gifwith inputs from his dad's friends and used to build R/C planessmiley3.gif. The story of Chetan's childhood is awe inspiring.

Also is the case of motorsport racing drivers, who all start racing at an early age, in go-karts.

@arkboypunk1:

Thanks for sharing the story of Chetan Maini. Shows that great names in motoring are not just made in one fine day.

passion for cars in our family is passed on from father to their children .

I started to learn to drive when i was 8 it was an automatic a C250 if i remember correctly , i was quite short of choice that time we had a pajero , a toyota corsa n benz. Dad use to take the corsa for work and i could reach the pedals of Pajero so was left with benz . Ahh the noise of the bumper kissing the gate and dads face turning red when he saw the car . Those where the days smiley2.gif

have driven almost everything from train , trucks , crains , ships (thnx to uncle who was in Navy) , airplane ( cesna) only darn thing remaining is a MIG 31 have to visit Russia now (on my dream list on things to be done)