gauravsimply4u

LAURA AMBIENT OR CIVIC ?

the way i see it......

civic ranges from 11.5- 13 lakhs

laura from 13.23- 16.7 lakhs

so in other words when you see a laura you take it to be a 16.7 lakh higher range car........

Well if you buying a 10+ car...... one of the top concern should be show off.....

I know the l&k owners have been ripped off with this new cheaper laura..... but atleast you would be in profit........

well atleast that's the way i see it.......

i once told a friend of mine (he is on the forum... hopefully he remembers this) when buying a car i personnally prefer a bmw with a maruti's engine than a maruti with a bmw engine......

cause in metro cities like bombay and delhi....... 800 beats ferrari...... welcome to city driving........ and at the end of the day it's all show off.......

Anybody seen that sante fe show off add..... he he..... real good.... it's on the hyundai site........

this thread was initially posted on november last year. by this time his friend must have got a car for himself!

and the laura and civic are incomparable, atleast pricewise. the laura cost 17 grands on-road and the civic about 12.5, so not fair...

well on the last page a member named Mahavir  posted his request on which one to buy........ on feb 8....... good thing he found this isntead of starting a new one..........

and i think laura  17 is the l&k version and we are talking about the ambiente... version..... still i also believe this isn't quite a comparision...... maybe civic and octavia would have been..... though but now octavia is out.........

though on my personnel experience i think skoda cars should be bought if there are your primary cars and you have a cheaper every day car....... as it's maintainace is quite high......

well probably buy a nano for everyday thing..... and keep laura for meetings and family outings..... just a suggestion....

Every brand has a few customers with a legitimate complaint. As for cost of maintenance this is obviously dependent a lot on whether spares are imported or locally made. Also, (thankfully only few now) manufacturers sometimes try and price the spares exorbitantly. One expects to pay more as one moves up the market. I do not expect Honda City repairs to cost the same as an Esteem or SX4 or Accent.

ok I don't know if the thread is still going but my choice would be Civic any day. My dad has a civic and my cousin's dad just bought the Laura Ambiente. The Laura's ride is much harsher(!), leg space is also lesser but it comes with more features than the civic (eg. rear A/C vents, Anti-Skid Reduction, Projector headlamps).

Overall, in terms of a total package, the Civic, I feel, is better...

The Laura comes with 60 profile tires (205/60/R15?) and I think higher profile tires might improve the ride a bit. Has anyone tried that?

Interesting topic,I own a Skoda Laura L&K and swap it with my cousin for his Honda Civic as per need.Both cars are from different worlds and suit different tastes in my case moods.If i am travelling from Mumbai to Pune via the expressway its only the Skoda.The solid feel,terrific steering control,best of all the high torque engine( feels best when pulls from 120kmph and upwards). Very stable at high speeds feels the same at 120 and at 160 rock solid.

The Civic is petrol driven and has one of the best petrol engines in its class.In the city and the nearby outskirts I am at ease with a zippier car and probably it is my state of mind I feel quite heavy driving the Laura around in the city especially in stop and go traffic and I simply cherish the smooth refinement of the civic engine. Not that Civic cannot handle highways and Laura cant be driven around in the city,given the option I exercise it to suit my taste.

Skoda has not developed local guys for spares and end up importing most of it hence spares and service is a loot when compared to Honda and Toyota and they are'nt as friendly on after sales as their Jap counter parts. Although they are'nt an original German brand have developped a corky attitude when it comes to warranty claims.

@Avinash. Excellent comparison. This should be very useful since this a 'mano el mano' comparison on a personal basis.

One thing I will like to know - any inputs on the Skoda DSG box?

Thank you Sgiitk, there is a bit of turbo lag hence you need to press the accelerator a bit more than what you would in a smooth petrol engine like Civic. Once above the 2500 rpm the power thrust is great. The auto box on the Laura is great and one cant feel the loss in rush of power when needed.Once above the rev range it quite simply delights.I had some pre conceived thoughts about loss of power in autos hence did not even bother to take a test drive, 6 months after purchase when I drove my friends Laura at peak evening Mumbai traffic I discovered the beauty of DSG.

In stop and go traffic reving up a diesel in auto/manual Laura is not as pleasant as the Civic, similarly at 160km/hr the Laura feels better than the Civic.Especially the slot from 80 km/hr and upwards is fun due to the high torque available on the PD engine.

I think the clatter is more at idle (and more so when cold) and engine should smooth out at higher revs. Of course as he points out due to turbo issues the power delivery is not as good in the TD as the petrol. So by the looks of it for pottering about town the petrol (Civic) may be the car of choice, while for the highway the Laura will be more desirable.

That right Sgiitk, moreover the cabin is well insulated the clatter is more on the outside and the engine too does not transmit any vibration to the steering or body or any part. It's a well engineered strong car.The ride at the rear is a bit harsh but you get razor sharp handling in return. I have been driving smooth petrol engines for quite some time, City Vtec followed by Corolla till date where is power build up is smooth. Probably if I keep driving the Laura at a stretch may not bother about this issue at all. If your movement is more on open roads I would suggest a Laura as it is a very driver centric car, its not for the person at the rear seat.If you spend more time at the rear seat and ride comfort matters most Civic is what one should go for.

Thats right its Laura or Civic. City Vtec followed by Corolla and now the Civic have a gem of an engine in terms of refinement.The Jap engineered petrol engines just get better every year with every new model they come out with. I find the Civic engine best in terms of performance with FE in the sub 2ltr class till date.