autoholic

Which diesel is the most effortless to dr

Dear fellow auto enthusiasts,
It is a pleasure to be part of a community of my most passionate subject : cars.
I owned an Omni 16 years ago, then a Santro, a Scorpio, and an Innova. Currently using my spouse's Xeta too. I find a lot of effortlessness when driving a Xeta. Plan to buy a diesel - either a hatch or an entry level sedan within a budget of 5 to 8 lakhs. Family loves outings - long drives (I really mean loooong drives). Please share from your experience which would be the closest to most effortless driving in the diesels in terms of clutch effort, overall ride and handling etc.
Thanks and happy to share any of my past 16 years of driving experience with any fellow enthusiast. Cheers.

Topic moved to the right section.
BornFree2010-08-09 19:17:32

Hello autoholic,

Welcome to autocarindia forum.

In the 5-8 lakh price range you have plenty of nice  cars to choose from!

And could be a bit more elaborate on the nature of usage, type of Roads in your area, number of passengers, your average monthly running etc? Think it would help to easily suggest a suitable vehicle for you.

My two cents: Consider a Diesel only if you have yearly running of more than 15k kms. Or else a petrol car is a better option!

Amongst Diesels its MS Swift Dzire VDi/ZDi & only if you drive alot.

& Honda Jazz amongst the Petrols, though the latter is bit Expensive but is Really Effortless & Full of Comfort to Drive.

Both the above cars are Really Easy to Maintain, Spacious & are Almost Flawless.

Goes to show that even an Innova, diesel I guess, isn't any match for an Indica Xeta (petrol) when it comes to ease of driving. I agree with CB and recommend a Ford Figo diesel for its drive ability, interior space, fuel efficiency and handling.

Hi Carispassion,
Thank you for that quick reply. Do about 900 - 1000 km per month and that too out of frugality. With spiralling fuel prices I am discouraged to do the weekend getaways. Whenever the family thinks of a brief vacation we prefer driving 750 km upwards together. Innova was a breeze. But cannot use it in the bumper-to-bumper traffic in the city bustle. If I drive 70-80 km in a day I experience pain in my left foot. I try to beat the peak traffic hours but I am shocked to admit that except upto 7.30am in the morning and after 10.30pm in the night you will find respite in traffic. We are a family of five - three adults including my mother, spouse and two grown up children - 13 and 18 years of age. I am 45. A couple of weeks back I read an article in the latest autocar issue on the diesels hatch shootout. I divided Rs 150000 (the difference of diesel and petrol cars) by Rs. 17.00 (the difference of petrol and diesel price) and leave alone the better mileage by over 50% that you get on diesel over petrol. The calculation showed that after 7500 to 8000 km you have covered on the gap between the two transmission systems. That further motivated me to research. And nothing works better in research than asking in a community like this one.
Cheers.

Edit: Oh. I thought the reply would go to specific people. Since it is a common thread I deeply appreciate and thank Carispassion, Creativebala, Dr nishu and Durango Dude for being so responsive. Hail all car lovers across the world.

My favorite holiday destination in India has been Goa. I have driven several times from Hyderabad and a few times from Bangalore. My favorite road trips are to Dharmasthala near Mangalore from Bangalore. Have traveled several times in a year in the past to each of these destinations. Hyderabad to Bangalore, Mumbai and Jabalpur I have done several times. Shirdi, Tirupati and Bhubaneshwar have been destinations I have done in the past. Happy motoring

2 Posts merged: Don't create successive back to back posts. Instead compile the post into one & then post.
BornFree2010-08-10 04:52:47

strech your budget a bit and wait for VW Vento , there will be nothing like it 1.6 crdi and handling of Polo has already been proven to be the best in its class , the gear liver and clutch is slick. It will suite u perfectly

If you can strech the budget try Linea. I own a Linea Diseal. Linea is very comfortable for a family 5 adults. I drive around 1500 kms per month & the average FE I get is as follows.

City Driving - 14 kms/liter

City + Highway Driving - 16 kms/liter

Highway Driving - 20 kms/liter

All the above said was calculated on fuel Tankfill bais.

My Linea has covered an overall distance of 13K kms in the past 8 months. So far I have not faced a single problem. I visited the service station only for the 1st free service & for the other free checkups arranged by Fiat. The ride comfort & handling on highways as well inside the city is fantastic. People say it is down on power, but I have not felt it. It has one of the biggest Boot space when compared to all the other cars in this segment. TD the Linea & then come to a conclusion if you can strech your budget.  

Buy a Swift Dzire I own it its very good vehicle. which gives good mileage and has boot space. gives 16 in city and 20 in highway. There But this car has a waiting period of 6 months. I think u can try with Indica Manza which has same platform from vista and shares same engine like punto(75BHP), swift, Swift Dzire, Vista. But marutis engine are refined engine has they tune the engine for better refinement. so just think over it If u need more legroom and shoulder space with boot go for Manza. or else hazzle free means swift Dzire.

Thanks sarabjeet, NAREN64 and vinaychinnu for your inputs.

I test drove a Manza and a Linea and found the clutch too hard in an exercise where I try to run the car at less than 10 kmph for about 50 meters. It was very painful. I always test drive a car for this factor. The thigh to foot L angle to the clutch, brakes and accelerator was most comfortable on the Manza. I check for these two things compulsorily in all TDs after experiencing this issue in the Innova. Either you stretch your seat back to adjust to the pedals and then your foot does not make a comfortable L with your thigh when you are cruising and want to rest your foot to the floor. I am not obese and neither stout.

Thank you everyone who has taken interest in my buying challenge.

Hello autoholic,

Seems like you are more inclined to a sedan than a hatch back. Think it is the correct choice since you are a family person and might be making a few long trips with the family; the added boot space of a sedan will be handy over long trips.

Think with around 1000km/month = 12,000km/year running, think a petrol car will suit you better. And if you are in for an entry level petrol sedan, you cannot go wrong with Swift Dzire. I suggest that you just take test drive of DZire K-Series.

The space enough 5 for average build adults. If you are not too tall, the leg space also should not be a problem.

If you are not too keen on Dzire, please do not consider any other petrol Sedans for your kind of usage; better to stick with Diesel. I will tell you the reason why:

Since economy is a main criterion, no other petrol sedans should fulfill your requirements.

DZire petrol with KB12 engine could easily give out 12km/l in tight city traffic and could easily give 17-18km/lit during long trips (all with 100% A/c).

Dzire DDIS, again a mileage champion in the segment could give 13 and 19km/lit respectively in similar conditions.

Hence the difference in mileage between Petrol and Diesel DZire is not 50%, bust just 10%. IMO, This is applicable only for Dzire and please do not consider the the same equation for comparing Diesel/Petrol variants of any other sedan.

Here the petrol DZire is more desirable not because the DDIS engine is any way inferior, but since the KB12 engine a brilliant one!!

Think no other petrol sedans in the same category could give you the same level of economy with decent performance.

Moreover, IMO, similar powered petrol cars are much easier and fun-to drive than a diesel car!

Hence it is either DZire petrol or any other Diesel car of your choice!

I would not suggest you any other Petrol cars like SX4(City mileage 11 km/lit), Verna Petrol (City mileage 10.5 km/lit); Honda City(11.5 km/lit); Linea Petrol (10.5 km/lit) though they are more spacious than DZire!

My own story:smiley9.gif

We own a Ritz VDi in our family. We were too keen on Ritz petrol due to refinement and new technology, but voted for a Diesel one considering our kind of usage(15-20k km per year). At the time of purchase, we too were at confusion if to go for Petrol/Diesel. Hence came the economy calculations!

We expected13km/lit mileage for Petrol Ritz and 17km/lit for Diesel Ritz (almost 50% difference in mileage). Hence it was very clear that the Diesel was more economical for us.

We are consistently getting 16.5km/lit for our Ritz(as per the expectation). However, the average mileage our family friends are getting for their Petrol Ritz in similar conditions are 14-15km/lit! much higher than the value I was expecting!smiley18.gif

Hence, especially if you are a sedate driver (think you are!), there is high chance of getting good mileage figures for a petrol DZire!

Moreover even if the fuel bill is lesser for a Diesel, there are a few more additional costs in the form of high running costs!

Approximate Cost for consumables for Diesel vs Petrol with replacement period in brackets (I am aware only about costs for K-Series/DDIS Ritz. Not considering any other car)

Ritz                        Diesel                         Petrol

Engine Oil              750 (10k)                   1200 (10k)

Oil filter                  390 (10k)                   90 (10k)

Fuel filter                1650 (20k)                 350 (40k)

Air filter                350 (30k)                     350 (40k)

Tires(each)            2300(30k)                    2300(35-40k)

Spark Plugs           NA                              250(40k)

Also think the suspension components etc will wear out easily due to higher load of the Diesel engine!

carispassion2010-08-10 15:13:00

Dear all,

I am an ARMY Officer and even my confusion is the same if i consider my running mileage which is around 1500 km(max) pm and budget i find my pockets suit only two entry level sedans i.e Indigo MANZA and Swift Dzire. However i do not wish 2 buy Dzire since its too common, long waiting period n cramped up at the rear. SO the obvious choice is MANZA but now i am confused as to whether i shud buy a Diesel or a Petrol keeping in view the extra money i have to shell out for buying diesel, higher maintenance of diesel and ofcourse the missing Vroom of a petrol. but is buying a MANZA petrol a sensible option.

please advice me as to can i get a CNG kit fitted in a brand new MANZA, whether the warranty will still hold good. if yes then i am going strong for MANAZA petrol or else please guide me

thanx

Dear Abhisheksia,

Just imagine 1500 km per month means 1500x17= 25500.00 per month of difference between diesel and petrol expense. And today's diesel transmissions are as advanced as the petrol ones. I dont think the maintenance cost of any modern day car - petrol or diesel can average beyond Rs.2000.00 (rupees two thousand a month). Therefore at 1500 km per month you could be buying a 3 lakh rupee car for your spouse or children or putting the same in a SIP plan for your retirement or children education EVERY YEAR.

I drove the Omni (4 yrs), Santro (4 yrs), Scorpio (4 yrs), Innova Diesel (2 yrs) and now Xeta Petrol (2 yrs). In these many years I have not found any marked difference in maintenance cost of any system. Not sure if any of the above experience helps in your firming your choice. I know it is getting to confusion and no clear options. Please keep sharing your discovery and journey through the decision.

hi autoholic

surely ur advice will make a huge difference to me but to put things rite the difference in monthly expenses will be to the tune of 1500 x 1.50 = Rs 2250 since that is diff between running cost of petrol n diesel per km (Rs 1.50).

thanks a lot for sparing ur time.

regards

Abhishek

ny1 to guide me on CNG?

If you are looking for CNG option, I will recommend you to wait for one more week.

Maruti is expected to launch factory-fitted CNG option on many of their cars on August 15th, starting from Alto CNG to SX4 CNG!

Think an SX4 CNG will be much better than fitting CNG kit on an Manza, if you could afford it.

Think CNG option is already available on Chevy Aveo. However, Maruti is claiming that their 'factory fitted' CNG vehicles will be far superior than the other ones available in the market.

Could not make out the difference fully though. May be the Maruti Vehicles will come with so called flex-fuel ECUs, instead of a retro fitment.

carispassion2010-08-12 17:03:40

I am an ARMY Officer and even my confusion is the same if i consider my running mileage which is around 1500 km(max) pm and budget i find my pockets suit only two entry level sedans i.e Indigo MANZA and Swift Dzire.

.....please advice me as to can i get a CNG kit fitted in a brand new MANZA' date=' whether the warranty will still hold good. if yes then i am going strong for MANAZA petrol or else please guide me
[/quote']

As per your Requirements, Swift Dzire Petrol comes out to be the Best Option & latest being it comes with 1.2l K-Series engine which is both Pretty Powerful & Economical too with Excellent FE of around 16-17kmpl(Highways) & Manza comes nowhere close to it in terms of FE & Overall Product Quality/Appeal.

& Please do re-think, does its being too Common thought still Superinvades over its qualities. 

Then comes,

-Another Option is to go for Manza Quadrajet Diesel, for 1500kms/month it'll prove cheaper than corresponding CNG & Petrols, plus its having Excellent Acceleration & FE too.

-Aftermarket Fitting of CNG kit in a Manza will definitely void its Warranty & its better to Avoid it..

-Please specify you budget & choices sir, So that another Better options can also be Considered.

Think CNG option is already available on Chevy Aveo. However' date=' Maruti is claiming that their 'factory fitted' CNG vehicles will be far superior than the other ones available in the market.
[/quote']

IMO, Both GM & MSIL will be on the par on the basis of their Tech Superiority, & both are/will(MSIL) use same Tech. which is actually a Directly Injecting CNG into the Cylinder, than Conventional Indirect Injection-type designs. 

They're Sourcing this Tech & Components from their Parent GM-R&D Centre, Detroit, US.

Even MSIL is also sourcing their current LPG-kit components from US..

If you want to buy a diesel hatchback then go for Figo. If you are looking for a diesel sedan i would suggest Vento Diesel. Go for a diesel car only if your monthly running is atleast 1200 kms.