I am looking to get some expert advise on my first car. My priorities are Power, Looks, Comfort, Fuel Economy as in the same order. I have decided it is petrol, not only becuase I only do a few highway trips in a year but also for other reasons like faster pickup, less noisy etc. I have been thinking about few cars and they are,

1) Hyundai i10

2) Ford Figo

3) Fiat - Grande Punto

4) VW Polo

5) Nissan Micra

My topline budget is 6L, please suggest if there is any entry level sedan within my budget but I dont like Swift Dzire and Hyundai Accent. I know I sound confused, actually I am.

I think I need to choose among the one from the above list or a good entry level sedan.

Thread moved to the right section.
BornFree2010-08-10 07:42:40

The Polo petrol is a good buy if you have Highway trips in mind. Stability, build quality is good enough. It is also added with stunning looks.

Figo petrol is not worth a buy, so I will tell you to give it a miss.

The next option can be Swift ZXi or the Punto petrol. Punto petrol is not that fuel efficient but ride, handling and stability is fantastic. I did not find Swift in your list, may be just too common these days.

Nissan Micra is a good car but after sales and service is a big question and the looks are not to everyones taste.

And also to mention the deceitful rear bench of Micra. May not be very comfortable over long journeys. Reducing the under thigh support to make a pseudo-image of increased leg-room!

No head rest/split seat even on the top-end variant for the Nissan!

Think the VW polo must be the best choice if we stick only to the cars mentioned. i10 though not in the leagues of other cars mentioned, is pretty decent if you need a car strictly for city use.

Think the Punto may not be very peppy enough and may not be easy to pilot in town; considering visibility issues.

carispassion2010-08-10 16:10:49

Since Power and fuel economy are a concern, it rules out Figo and Punto. i10 is a great package but comparatively smaller to all the other mentioned options in terms of interior space.

I recommend the Micra simply because even though the Polo is simply put a better car in every department except for equipment levels. But going for it means a 2-3 months wait which is quite frankly absurd.

Micra provides a decent engine with reasonable amount of power, loads of equipment and probably better build quality than Maruti and Fiat. If you can live with the looks then go for it as it fits your budget too.

Well out of the cars you have selected the i10 is fastest off the line and the top end ASTA fits in your budget but my suggestion will be to go for either the Ritz or Swift because they have fantastic engines .

Ford figo is a VFM car but I would buy the peppier diesel in this case . VW polo is a good car but lacks power and has long delivery period . The Nissan Mirca is a good allrounder but the car isn't perfect the rear seats lack thigh support and the 3 pot engine is noisy.

Considering your Budget, Requirements Most of the City Usage(with Occassional Highways usage) if prefer you to go for Nissan Micra's top-XV variant.

It comes with Everything- Decent Power, Acceleration, Looks(purely Subjective), Comfort(better than others if not the best), Fuel Economy & most Importantly It's having Fantastic Visibilty All-around, which in today's Trafficky scenario everyone needs & neither the Polo nor the Punto(Other close contenders to your needs & choices) offers this properly to the Max.

On the other hand, Polo petrol 1.6 comes to the 1st after reading your Requirements/Needs but Left-out due to;

-Being Out of your Budget.

-Not so Good Visibility in Tight or City conditions.

-Suspected Low FE Issues.

Thanks to all for the inputs. Upon doing a bit research on entry level sedans, it looked like its not impossible to get a decent sedan if I extend my budget to 7L, which again is not impossible. So I am looking at the base models of Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Aveo, Hyundai Verna (not sure if Verna will fit in my budget). Like I said earlier I dont like Swift Dzire & Hyundai Accent. I thought I will TD all the three cars and let you know of my decision. Have I missed out on any car in my budget? Is there a new launch round the corner?

I would steer clear of Chevy Aveo if I were you. There is nothing great about that car. It is nothing more than a liability in GM showrooms.

Fiat Linea Active probably fits your budget and Dynamic should be just a big above 7 on road.

i20 has got that strange AC issue and poor FE.

If you want a petrol sedan the Fiesta petrol is the best buy. FE is around 11-15kmpl (C/H) and ride and handling is great. EXI and ZXI will fit into your budget.

under 6L sedan other than you mentioned is indigo. Not suggesting it but letting you know of the choice.

The latest entry into the segment is VW vento which starts at 6.99 ex showroom delhi, which again i think would be more expensive in chennai.

SX4 also starting at 6.9 ex delhi has major discounts going on all over india.

Out of the hatchbacks would suggest the polo. You can also consider a pre owned car and can get your self something like a civic/corolla.