Itsme

Confused in buying a new car.

Hi to all fellow auto enthusiasts. I am looking for a new car and need your suggestions for the same. Had a 65 hp esteem vx from 1998 - 2005. Enjoyed it till i upgraded to an accent viva crdi in 2005. I like it for its acceleration, fuel efficiency and ease of ownership. I dont like its handling at high speeds and the gearshift.  I think its time i should change it. Cars already in our garage is 2009 scorpio mhawk sle my father uses and  an 2009 i10 1.2 magna for wife and mom. Cars on my radar - i20 crdi, verna crdi, honda city, linea multijet, vw vento diesel, toyota etios diesel. Budget is 7-9 lacs and i can wait till next year. Priorities are performance, comfort and ease of ownership.

sgiitk
@itsme: You have not indicated what is your annual mileage, and the nature - town / highway of travel.

Not high mileage, almost 10k per year. Equally highway and town travel.

Also confirm if you want a Sedan or a Hatch.

Preferably a sedan.

The Fiesta 1.6S is the only petrol sedan for enthusiasts now. Or am I missing something ?

Enthusiastic cars in petrol are not accompanied by ease of ownership or cheaper service. Eg: Octavia VRS/ laura TSi/ Lancer Cedia.

The choice as it stands would be either the Fiesta, Linea or the Manza. Try out each one of them and choose which suits you best. i20 crdi would be a better bet than the Verna crdi; because its safer. Vento may be just out of your budget as and when it comes.

@itsme: At 10,000km or so a year I will advise against a diesel. 7-9L has a good selection of cars. You can look at the Honda (jazz & maybe City), Maruti-Suzuki, VW, FIAT, Tata and Hyundai stables amongst a good selection.Once it comes to Toyota Etios may also be within your budget. I will say having a local dealership or at least a service facility is highly desirable. In terms of maintenance costs MS, Hyundai and Tata are the cheapest. The Manza looks very swish and I hope the build quality should also be fine. If you intend to keep the car for 5+ years then I will say that try and avoid MS since their cars tend to pick up rattles faster than others.

Being in Jalandhar maybe you PM BornFree about the quality of  support available from the dealerships.

Jazz is too expensive for what it offers. I'd lean towards the Fiesta if driving pleasure is priority. The Fiat Linea if you are budget concious. The Honda City if you have the money. The Vento is also worth looking at.

Cars on my radar - i20 crdi' date=' verna crdi, honda city, linea multijet, vw vento diesel, toyota etios diesel. Budget is 7-9 lacs and i can wait till next year. Priorities are performance, comfort and ease of ownership. [/quote']

As per your Requirements & Considerations VW Vento Diesel or upcoming Previous Gen-Corolla based Toyota Etios Sedan will suit you to the Nearest & most probably will be in your budget & can be Servicable in your City also.

But the fact about the Etios is that both its Hatchback & Sedan will Initially be available in 1.2 & 1.5l petrol engines respectively only & chances of their Diesel options are Suspicious only.

Even both will be Highly focussed on Comfort only rather than Truly Enthusiastic ones.

But if you want the ANHC(Honda City) is the Perfect option for you.

dr_nishu2010-08-23 15:32:26

Hi,

Ford Fiesta is the best-drivers car around , but since you straight-forwardly denied Ford, so it then boils down to four contenders for performance :

1.)VW vento petrol

2.) MS sx4

3.) Honda city

4.) Fiat Lines P amongst the present lot.

Out of these City is an ideal choice, but since you can wait till next year, I will suggest you waiting as some important launches are on the cards like :

1.) Toyota etios

2.) Fabia sedan

3.) linea t-jet(upgrade)

4.) new Hyundai Elantra

5.) new Ford fiesta

6.) new chevrolet Aveo

If you want to go in for the present Fiesta itsme, wait until November. Ford generally has huge discounts around that time. We ourselves are waiting until Nov., as though we can afford the EXi now, discounts will enable us to reach out for the SXi, S and ZXi.

Overall, I feel the ANHC is your best choice.

I would not wish to comment about next year's cars.