creativebala

My Swifty drive (VXI bought Used)

congratulation - for buying swift .I think it is time I should write ownership review about our swift 1.2 - k series but I am  not finding time for it.

@mods -  3days ago there some botnet attack in this site . could you confirm-it. - Google should it in search list

Just a couple of days ago I was thinking why no news of CB's Swift, good to see the thread alive again. 8.5K sounds kinda steep for a petrol hatch service. Never has my Elantra ever gobbled up soo much in one service in 5 years of ownership. Was there something major done during service?

@sb, it was not all fun, i took a wrong route, and it was like a small path admist farmlands. I don't know the route, there is no guide lines on route this was the first time i drove(and travelled) on such a long drive. More than 25% of my route were bad roads. With no guidelines 'n lorry's highbeam, i felt it was too difficult to drive.

@Driftpunk. I'll try to post pictures soon, but i guess, many sites already compares stock with Xtreme power light

@DD, there was nothing big done, the charger costed 1100, so its 7.4K for its normal service.

My first Ghat experience last week. 2 times up & down Tirupati hills. Super fast trip, trye screeching at every turns, burnt rubber smells, the thrill of overtaking( safely ). Awesome fun.

My learning -  The powerband in swift is quite high. It has to be driven at higher speed to keep the car in momentum in hilly terain.

Hi Bala congrats on your buy. 3.5L is a bit higher where 3.20-3.30L would have been a good bargain.Never bother satisfaction is the most important thing.

Anyways enjoy your car and do post some pics of the Interiors.

... last week. 2 times up & down Tirupati hills.

Staying in Tirupati, I would have certainly liked meeting you.  And, I did not move out of Tirupati last week.  Next time, let me know.  OK dear ?

Yet another adventerous trip with my swift.

1460kms covered in about 24hrs of which 800kms done alone.

This could be an eyeopener for many who plan to do similar trips.

About Swift

The Combo of Handling & Driver comfort is unmatched. No Tiring or Fatigue in all my 24 hrs trip. Decent braking, but tends to loose confidence on curves at over 100kmph.

FE top class - if driven at 2000rpm - 80kmph

FE is ok if driven at 2000-3000rpm ~ 80-100kmph

FE beyond 3000rpm is better not commented.

Since my Swift is Older G-Series petrol, it was fun driving it all the way. It has torque when ever I need it and at every rpms.

About the trip

I started from home around mid night and halted for Tea/Snacks after 300kms(BP Ghar, just before Trichy). Let the vehicle to cool down, re fuel and refreshed myself. Then starts the pathetic stretch of my journey, the Trichy-Madurai stretch. This stretch is worse when compared to other legs of my trip. Should have been good if done in day time, but still many blind/sharp curves. After Madurai, its the best stretch(Kashmir/Kanyakumari Road) and reached KK at 8:30AM. Total time taken till entering KK is 8hrs. After that entering the city took some long time, but no need for that here. After attending the Housewarming function of my relative, I returned back after some 2-3 hrs of staying there. Had some Tea and lots of snacks. 

While returning, things went as per my plan only till Madurai. Once I reach Madurai Byepass, it was heavy downpour with literally no visibility. I stopped in nearby Parotta( Madurai Spl) Shop till the heavy rain stops. After that it was rubbish drive all the way. It was continuously raining till I reach home. Almost took 12hrs to reach back.

Points Learnt:

1. 90% of pumps in Highways accept only Cash. No Cards.

2. Do not eat food. Try to manage with Tea & Snacks as much as you can. Eating proper food will make you feel very sleepy. Have lots of chocolates.

3. Drink lots of water. Do not let your body dehydrate.

4. Frequently wash headlights while it rains.

Things taken along -

1. Torch Light

2.  Foot Pump

3. Coolant Oil

4. MGA Windshield cleaner

5. Lots of drinking water

6. My GPS mobile

Distance break up-

1 .Chennai - Trichy - 300kms -3.5hrs - excellent roads with awesome reflectors

2. Trichy - Madurai  - 150kms -2 hrs - good roads but no proper reflectors with many dangerous curves - Avoid Night Driving here

3. Madurai - KanyaKumari - 250kms -2.5hrs - Awesome roads but no idea on reflectors since I travelled in day time.

Problem Faced

The water sprayed from other vehicles caused lots of hinderance on my windshield. On constantly using wiper & wash for 450kms, I ended up emptying the water in the reservoir in midway.

The combination of Dark(wet) Roads + unclear Windshield+ Dusty Headlamps made the trip very bad and at the same time wasted lots of hours.

Now my Swift has crossed 60K Kms on its Odo.

Now my Swift had her 60k service from ABT. Actually its 64k now, I didnt send her at 60k because, she had new clutch at 54, so those extra 4k kms.

The service bill again is a big one with 2 main contributors viz, rear door lock set(~ 2k) and heater radiator(more than ~2k). MOre over, they have added Engine oil additive for around 500INR.

Now its going to get new shoes. Am still little bit confused between

Michilin XM1+ 185mm @ 19K with a free mobile phone

or

Bridgestone 165mm @ 14.5k

or

Yoko A-Drive @ around 17k

Most probably, it should be BS taking into consideration of FE ( also as per sb-alto's advice)

@Experts

What % of FE fall will I face if I switch to 185mm from 165mm tyres?

@Mods

Plz PORT this thread to ownership thread section. 

@CB: i agree with sb_alto with the petrol prices going up I think it would be better if you stuck around with 165. The steering effort may increase with 185 and FE also will suffer. We all know how the roads are in Chennai and don't go in for a soft compound tyre like Michelin which will wear out fast.

Its like 165 on good quality rubber is equivalent to 185 shoddy tyres. Plus unless you are an enthusiast on every corner of a street, 165 will do all jobs fine.

FE goes down by 1-2kmpl overall.

BTW what bridgestones in 165 avatar? Did you check out goodyear duraplus ?

Got 165/80/14 Bridgestone from Lal Tyres, Chennai @ 3450/ Tyre.

Balancing/ Alignment extra, no extra charge for CC, got a Bridgestone/Bombay dying Cushion set free( 2 seat belt cusion, 2 neck pillow, 2 small pillow).

Was very confused between CEAT Milage and this, but BS won because of stronger side wall. Being in a area of literally no road, I dont want to buy a new tyre anytime soon, so harder side wall was a compulsion.

The CEAT was very good at 3K/ tyre, totally VFM.

FYI,

Buy 4 Apollo tyres, get free Alignment/Balancing

4 Yokos, get Jabra Bluetooth

4 Michilin, a Samsung Mob

4 Bridgestone, a small cushion set.

Now coming to the tyre,

Took her 70kms on Chennai Byepass, the braking has seen a sea change.

The smaller undulation on streets are well absorbed, whereas bigger pot holes have vodafone connection with our spines.( Not to blame the tyres alone, its a Swift after all)

Guys,

your advice please!

My swifty is due for her insurance renewal in 2 days and there starts the confusion.

I am planning to go for Bumper2Bumper coverage / Bajaj Allianz

So zeroed in Maruti showroom so as to avail cashless facility, but the Maruti/Bajaj combo doesn't offer B2B.

so, should I buy B2B from Bajaj from outside or buy ordinary coverage from Maruti/Bajaj

@Bala

Congrats on your new tyres. Good that you have selected BS, as I am unsure about Ceat's service. BTW What Bridgestones are they ?

I am doing fine with comprehensive insurance and I guess B2B insurance takes a lot more money. Since accident repairs of MS cars are cheap, do give a think if you really need that sort of coverage.