rameshbabu.n

Be careful while driving thru water ...

During this rainy season, we all know that it is raining heavily. 

We, like it or not, have to wade through heavy rains and stagnant water on roads.

While most of us take care to see that we drive then in gear 1 or 2 and at higher RPM to see that we do not stop midway through some stagnant or overflowing water on roads.

PLEASE ensure that your brakes are properly braking SOON AFTER coming out of such water logged roads. 

Last week, I found some vehicles (not mine) getting involved in some minor accidents as their brakes are not working soon after they have come out of the rain/stagnant water.  Even if the driver applies the brakes, the brakes will not work when they are submerged in water.

My suggestion for all users, please check your vehicle's brakes are really braking or not, the moment you come out of such water logged stretches.  Water may have gone into the braking system and that needs to be removed before proper braking. 

You may need to apply brakes hard more than a couple of times to bring back the braking power of your brakes.  One can avoid such silly accidents (which can be avoided) by simply doing this.  You may need to brake more than a couple of times, if need be.

rameshbabu.n2010-08-28 22:15:48

What you have mention applies to majority of cars, but most of them can stall. But the real culprit that shows no sign of slowing is Older Omni, they came with drums all around. Only your god's grace can stop the car. This car when driven in water( wet drum ), would stop in no way.

so everyone drive with care, Older Omni owners, drive with extra care
creativebala2010-08-29 09:45:06

The same is applicable to bikers also, wherein most of our bikes are equiped with drums. Clearing water from the drums and disks does require adequate braking after the escapade.

However, other issues to be taken care of are not to stall the engine when crossing a waterlogged place. What happens is, that even if we are in 1/2 gear with enough RPMs it may so happen that a car in front us stalls do to some problem and subsequently effecting our momentum. To negate such a situation, one must stop just short of the water and observe the vehicle ahead us so that we may even know about any potholes underneath the water and the extent of correction to avoid it.

Modern vehicles seldom trouble in such conditions as the engines are better sealed. Warning lights may glow after crossing deeper water logged areas, thereason for which is the water entering the sensors. This can be simply be corrected by switching off the engine and restarting it when the ordeal is over.

Older vehicles which may stall in such an eventuality, will have to brought out of the water and their electricals wiped clean off for the moisture before cranking the engine.

Finally, one must wade carefully keeping in view the comfort and sentiments of fellow road users by saving them from the brunt of splashing water.

A precaution we need to take is wearing dry footwear while operating the foot enabled controls of our cars.

I find that softer, feather touch, clutches and brake pedals of today's cars fare better in case our footwear is wet. the slippage is negligible. The hard clutch and brake pedals of some SUV's,UV's, MUV's and so on (including my Scorpio) tend to feel slippery if the footwear is wet.

Another point sms'd by Team Mahindra to me was about keeping three times the gap we normally keep from the motor vehicle in front during monsoons, to avoid collision during braking.