Kinshuk

GYPSY MG410

There's a 1990 MG410 with 85000kms for sale;

the vendor is asking for 1,00,000.

Tyres are bald.

Body looks decent.

Paint is original and all monograms are intact (though dull).

Govt vehicle - Ex-Soldier Welfare Dept or something like that.

This evening Im will inspect the mechanicals.

Look at inputs from members.

Thanks.

Not a clue, but what you say looks more like it than 100k for sure! Also, is it the 1000cc or the 1300cc. The only good thing about the former is that it lasts forever!

The asking rate of Rs 1,00,000/- seems to be on the high side.  Considering what you said, I expect it to cost around 75,000/- or even slightly less as the car is 20 years old.  And, inspite of what others say about the excellent ASS of Maruti, you may find it very very difficult in getting the spares from Maruti.  I am not getting spares for my 2000 year Esteem VX (only a month short of 10 years old) from Maruti.  So, think about twice while paying that sort of money for such a 20-year-old car, however good it may be.  It will need spares sooner than you expect.  So, be careful. 

1 lac is ok , well maintained 1990 gypsy can go for as much as 1.3. Gypsy hold their value as they are limited in production and much in demad, owners quote their price , just check if u have to pay addition tax while u transfer the car , also check 4X4 system.

@rameshbabu: spares wont be an issue as Gypsies are in production for the Army.

@sarabjeet: have checked, no issues in transfer. Mechanicals are yet to be checked though the person selling it is my mechanic who works on the Fiat 1100.

I also checked with the car-bazaar guy who rotates the staff cars for us, he suggested around 65k.

Rs.1 lakh are Slightly higher for the 20yrs Old Gypsy, 80-90k sounds good for vehicle of such year make.

But If you wanna drive & keep it for Any time anywhere use with Peace of Mind, Then i Personally advice to stay away from Such an Old-vehicle, as How Rough & Tough its build may be but you never know when & where it may give-up !!

A car more than 5-7 years Old loses heavily on Peace of Mind factor, whether it may be an Maruti, Honda, etc or in How much Good condition it is.

Best is to Look at some Post 1998 or 2000 model, they might perform better than 1990's.

1998-2000 model would cost anyway 2.3lakhs+ , u cannot get a 5 year old gypsy less than 4, i know its strange but Gypsy is king when it comes to resale value. Learn't it the hard way

Had it checked at MASS and they advised against buying the vehicle!! :(

Good advice.  It's no point buying a 20 year old, however good it may be or however good the maker may be.  None can change the intrinsic ageing of a two decade old car.  One of my friends used to comment `Old cars decay and die fast'. 

Any one can confirm that this 1000 CC engine (MG 410) is having the block of old MARUTI 1000?

Yes, Gypsy MG410's 1000cc engine was actually the Same 970cc, 45bhp(I think) engine used in Maruti 1000 in Era-90s but with albeit different tuning to drive Gypsy's 4x4 gearbox.