Durango Dude

ACI First Drive: Hyundai Sante Fe.

They are making a big mistake by launching it here that too now where the King(Fortuner) is already here.

Hyundai now have the potential to move upward unlike before, there hatch i20 even with a variant expensive or at par with their sedan is doing much better than latter, it shows Hyundai can be successful even with high price only with their next gen model like i40/new Sonata, new Elantra, new accent & they wont only be accepted here but can rock the charts, also Hyundai as a brand is now globally accepted with good respect so Hyundai listen & take back your decision. Hyundai have already taken a back seat with all their upmarket products, again a flop will affect their future premium launches for sure & will ignite negative image for Hyundai again for its expensive products.

But but but, this can also be accepted & all our comments can be proved wrong only if its priced at around 17lac OTR.bluesapphire2010-08-31 12:55:49

22 lacs won't be worth buying. It's a 5-seater ,plus Hyundai doesn't have any brand image for such segment.

The only few good things about this car are its sober styling and 2.2 crdi engine which will give it adequate power with decent efficiency. 

I have seen this car in Pune and agree with durango that interiors are big let down. If I had to buy, I would rather choose Captiva LTZ auto over Santa Fe. Also Hyundai's customer service is deteriorating day by day. 

Its a 7-seater and will definitely cost upwards of Rs 20 lakh as it is a CBU, unless Hyundai skimp on equipment which I dont think they will. Moreover, the interiors are poor (ACI) compared to the competition. Maybe some enthusiasts who want the 200bhp R-line may get it but all that power and 2000kgs weight, monocoque construction (platform shared with Sonata) and no real off-road capabilities. Is it worth the money? Fortuner is definitely better. We even have the mighty Endeavour. If you want performance, look at the Laura TSi

***EDIT - Just checked Hyundai USA site - the Santa Fe range starts at Rs 10 lakhs and goes up to Rs 15 lakhs for the top of the line PETROL. Not diesel mind you. So I expect it to come at a price.***
designersf2010-09-01 07:46:41

Aptly ACI has done a mini comparo between the Santa Fe and the BMW X1 which comes around the same cost otr, no prizes for guessing who the winner is going to be.

I feel Santa Fe has to be priced below the Fortuner for it to sell: very unlikely coz the Tucson retailed for something like 20 L. My guess is Santa Fe will nudge 30 L otr and at that price people will make a beeline for the BMW showroom.

Luxury class is becoming rather crowded and its make life difficult for Hyundai. Some one come up with a poll: 30L Santa Fe or 325d/C Class/A4: thats a no brainer of a poll really.

Durango Dude2010-09-01 08:41:31

I think I can go OT on my topic; I have been simply floored by the Skoda Yeti: Great car at great price and huge on features. I read it back to back in the latest twice and still want to read it once more. Another dark horse is the BMW X1. But the upkeep of these cars; that is really the 'big' turn off: the veritable 'coitus interruptus' here.

I agree. Maintenance will be a big issue for BMWs and Skodas but if you want them, you got to pay for them! I still agree with you DD - Yeti is a great car but those looking for mighty on-road presence will be disappointed.

Seriously speaking the car for Hyundai is often a boring launch if it ain't from the iseries . Having seen the Santa Fe in the ACI performance show in 07 (I guess) the size of the Suv is big but the styling is really boring the rear looks pathetic .

22112007033.jpg

22112007032.jpg

22112007034.jpg

Sorry for the poor pics as it was clicked from 2 mpix camera

@rssh: +1 to that comment; I think they'd fared better had they launched the iX35 instead of this staid Santa Fe belonging to the previous generation of Hyundai cars.

@designersf: I agree the Yeti lacks the girth of a full fat SUV; upside would be easier to drive and park in the urban environment. I see it as practical and at the same time powerful. Its a real tall boy on stilts. Probably a SUV with the dimensions of a Swift: wouldn't that be comfy; with the only alternate available now is the Premier Rio: which isn't exactly aspirational.

Durango Dude2010-09-02 08:38:25

@DD Just read the road test of the Yeti in the latest edition of the mag(anniv edition). Wow! Really impressive car at a suprisingly great price.

The car is 4.2meters in length which really isnt that much and would make it very comfortable in the city. The car truly deserves the title of being Compact yet Capable.

When compared to the Santa Fe, it makes for a much better deal. Best of luck Hyundai. You will need it.
asethi9192010-09-02 09:53:54

Price tag under 20 lacks for a CBU looks nearly impossible. My guess too is something near 22 L ex - showroom. It may do well , as it's being launched in festive season + Fortuner bookings closed + One hell of a engine + Good safety features !