harryccc

Best & Worst in UK

This should tell our Suzuki (oops Maruti) fans that Suzuki does not figure as a major automaker in the world, and also their quality is not something to shout about.

Well Suzuki never claimed to be a major player but whatever they offered earned them good rep, the Samurai was one good example, so is the Swift. Most who bought those were satisfied, they never had the discontent as initial lots of Hyundai did nor the hatred like French Renault and Pukegot or Italian Fiat.

I agree with Gurkha, Suzuki never boasted that quality was their forte.  And buyers of Suzuki never expected it to be a Honda either.  They are seen as cheap, reliable city roundabouts.  They are renowned for cars like the Vitara and the Swift.

Its good to see that Skoda has made it to the top after being in the dumps in the past.  The credit goes to VW and the Octavia, which really won hearts for its reliability.  Its surprising that VWitself is far behind in the CSI. 

Jitz

Its great  to see Hyundai right above many top rated companies, some of them also celebrating 80,90 or even 100 years in the business. Also its news to see Toyota below other brands- where is their bullet proof reliability? But soothingly, Lexus a premium Toyota brand is  at the top of the JD Power survey. Renault is below  many others and so is Suzuki. Thanks harryccc and Gurkha.

its a bit disappointing to see land rover at the bottom of the charts, though i've heard that about 90% of all land rovers produced till date are still on the road... am I right?

its a bit disappointing to see land rover at the bottom of the charts' date=' though i've heard that about 90% of all land rovers produced till date are still on the road... am I right?[/quote']

Where did you read that? LRs and RRs are among the least reliable vehicles, lots of defect including weak diff, suspension etc. The engine is nothing to talk about either, in Australia where people have to use 4WD as necessity, LRs were discarded long time back for TLC, Nissan Patrol and Pajero, same with all the tour ops in Africa. Btw, Land Cruisers are used in one of the most atrocious conditions on earth, the nickel mines in Australia where they are used inside the mines as mining vehicles, nickel is highly corrosive and TLC are the only vehicles that manage to survive that condition.

The best off roaders are TLC, Patrol, Pajero and the mighty Gelande Wagen. Everything else are just pretenders.

its a bit disappointing to see land rover at the bottom of the charts' date=' though i've heard that about 90% of all land rovers produced till date are still on the road... am I right?[/quote']

I think quote refers to "Rolls Royce"....smiley1.gif

LONDON: Indian conglomerate Tatas' rival bidders for US carmaker Ford's British brands Jaguar and Land Rover have questioned the company's idea of putting the two iconic luxury names alongside a car with nearly one-sixtieth price tag.

"I do not understand how a company that is going to make cars for 2,000 dollars (977 pounds) can sell cars for 1,20,000 dollars," The Times daily today quoted Thomas Stallkamp, a partner with Ripplewood, as saying.

The US-based private equity group Ripplewood was among the bidders for the Jaguar and Land Rover brands, but is believed to have fallen out of the running recently.

The report also said that Ford's British workers unions are favouring the OneEquity bid over Tatas' offer. The unions were scheduled to meet the shortlisted bidders later today.

"The unions have not publicly stated a preference, but are thought to be concerned about market positioning and outsourcing if Tata wins the bid. Tata is about to market a car costing just over 1,000 pounds, which is being dubbed the people's car, in India," the report said.

"The race for control of Land Rover and Jaguar is believed to have narrowed to two leading bids - from Tatas and OneEquity, a group led by the former Ford chief executive Jacques Nasser," The Times reported.

Another Indian firm Mahindra and Mahindra is also among the shortlisted bidders, but Ford is believed to be focusing on Tata and OneEquity, whose bids could value Land Rover and Jaguar at up to one billion pounds, the report noted. Ford is pressing the unions for a quick decision in order to finalise a winner by next month, it said.

RR is for Range Rover the Land Rover brand. Rolls Royce is a class apart which no other car ( no Maybach and Bugatti are back in competition)can match.