arreddyy

Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

When launched in january , BEAT was one of the most anticipated hatchbacks of the year . It also turned out to be the game changer in terms of pricing , and made ford and VW rethink about pricing . Got thumbs up from auto fraternity for its looks , pricing , features and as a overall package . CHEVROLET promise adding icing to the cake. But in terms of sales , beat never took off . The sales have always been between 4500 initially to 2500 - 3000 off late . These are decent figures , but considering beat as a package , these are not great figures . Figo had a flying start and doing great , polo is in great demand . So whats going wrong with the BEAT ?

Talking abt the polo and figo there are clear reasons

1st both are available on diesel

2nd both the companies are financially well when compared to chevy hence ppl tend to avoid chevy

3rd i think beat is a segment below these cars and is often compared to i10which is comparatively well established and is a safer bet..

Hence low sales

So the Chevy badge is a 'major' liability. I think, despite all good intentions, only God can predict which cars sell which don't. Don't see too many Beat on the roads. Kudos to arreddyy for bringing it up. I think if Chevy doesn't wake up it will also go the Spark way: Good car in wrong company.

I don't agree with the diesel thing; top of the charts continues to be frugal petrol driven hatches from MSIL and Hyundai.

I feel that beat's design is the major factor for its downfall.

Its design is a little too flamboyant for the middle aged people(majority of car buyers are middle aged)

And the interior space is too cramped(compared to its nearest competitor aka figo)

The figo is a strong product and coupled with the Ford badge, it just took away the initial hype from the beat.

I personally think that the major reason for average sales is nothing more than the fact that there is no diesel engine. 

The second reason that sort of tips the scale in the favour of the Figo is that it is more spacious and looks like the bigger car which is important for indian mindset.

The Beat will see a huge uprise in sales numbers when the Diesel engine is launched albiet, they will need to market it. Heavily!

EDIT: Now, Chevy isnt Suzuki or Hyundai which means it cant just pull people in based on its brand power. Not as yet. People are still apprehensive about going for Chevy even though the product is in itself good.
asethi9192010-09-08 06:50:11

I don't agree with the diesel thing; top of the charts continues to be frugal petrol driven hatches from MSIL and Hyundai.

Rightly said Sir ! I think Beat has a decent engine , and is at par competition in terms of power ! So , engine is not a big problem as far as I think . Surely , adding a diesel to the line up , in this diesel crazy nation will help , will help. But CYRUS and DD pointed out rightly , it's indeed the Chevy Badge , which hasn't won hearts.

Also winner pointed out well , that the attractive looks for youngsters may not work well for all !

arreddyy2010-09-08 06:51:29

The design of the Beat make it look much smaller than it is (like the Mirca) .

The Chevy badge is known for low resale value and expensive spare even give the fact that it has maintainance package .

The Faults on the Beat

1. On test drive everyone can feel the 2nd gear is non existant and people tend to think of it as a car with poor power .( My carb zen was much faster and a joy in 2nd)

2. Really stupid advertizment of behalf of Chevy (making it looks as if its for youths to buy -for collegates)

3. Not really much information on the after sales in general publics mind .

4. The boot space is really less though the space add to the cabin but the dark interior makes it feel aweful . I saw a Beat with Custom ordered Beige interiors and it felt really nice.

Actually there are many reason for Beat's not so good sales, few of them being

1. Chevy promise not still available, many are waiting for this( Now chevy gives this only if a Beat owner refers 2 other buyers)

2. Beat MJD, which is going to be too frugal but at the same time not so costly, so waiting for it

3. Even the LPG/CNG is not out.

All in all, Beat is a great car but people are expecting something better than great, so many are waiting. Once Chevy promise is std on Beat & it gets LPG/CNG/Diesel, its sales chart would fly.

My take:

In nut shell: Beat is beaten by its competitors because all of them has distinct USP and has their own market where Beat has none. Let us examine one by one.

1.Beat vs Swift:

Beat with its funky looks is meant for urban young person. So who is its chief competitor : none other than present best seller: Swift. While Swift has a gem of an engine, Beat is let down by its spiritless engine. Also handling of Swift is a notch above.

2.Beat vs i10:

Beat may be a overall better car than i10, but i10 has its own share of fans who love its interior. Ladies love beige interior and most of them give thumbs down to dark, claustrophobic interior of Beat. So for ladies its i10 over Beat.

3.Figo vs Beat:

As we all know Figo was meant for "Sandeep": A urbane male of late twenties with settled family & salary. Now, with its spacious interiors & better ride & handling Figo

would look more appealing to him. Besides Figo has another trump card: the superb TDCi engine.

4. Beat vs Polo:

Polo with its premium look, feel & lineage is actually a segment above than Beat.

So the problems with Beat can be summarized as:

1.Beat has got funky, sporty looks: but its sedate engine & so-so handling diminishes its sporty appeal.

2.The looks are too striking for mature adult. In addition, its cramped interiors & limited boot space are also negative points.

3.Absence of diesel engine.

4.Other minor factors are such as unimpressive media campaign, lackluster ICE, driver visibility issue also contribute to its lack of sale.

So considering above, I am not sure what is the target market for Beat. Also it is highly unlikely that the sale figure will go north in near future.

Ya, last week i asked a manager at GM regarding this. Now they are not giving Chevy Promise while buying the car. You need to earn it by referring 2 Beat buyers. By this way you will save 10k INR too, which you will be paying otherwise.

Even for spark, they were not giving it initially. IMHO, they should give Beat MJD from day one to make it a run away hit.

1.)Space in Beat isnt as bad but then Figo is much bigger. Actually Beat is compared with Ritz & i10 only but then Figo being at upper segment is priced similarly thus Figo took away all its sales, to me its the main reason.

2.)Lack of diesel engine.

3.)Just day before yesterday i saw the ad in TOI that now Beat, Spark & Aveo are available with Chevy Promise 3years package.

Also for Chevy even to maintain average 3k units of both Spark & Beat isnt as bad to me, though Figo is clocking much more sales but then it has its own USP which are more India centric & thus the demand.

bluesapphire2010-09-08 12:22:15

Hi

Beat was a much awaited car but its sale have not picked up since january. probably this is due to the tought competition it is facing from i10 and Maruti Suzuki A-Star. A-Star was launched in 2008and now Maruti has launched its Automatic version in 2010. This hatchback from maruti promises to deliver a mileage of 19km/l and hence is leading the race as of now!

IMO, Beat lagged in Hatchback race due to;

1) Over-Styled looks(as per winner said), Other than Bachelors all other people feel awkward & shy from owing her due to her looks.

2) 2nd Gear Pick-up problem in Initial models.

3) Fledging Chevrolet Impression after GM-US bankruptcy.

And Surprisingly;

-GM-India is working hard & have started Double Shift Work to meet the Cruze & Beat demand at their Talegaon plant.

-Spark sold l'll bit more than Beat last month.
dr_nishu2010-09-08 16:56:35

Cheaper does not make a car sell more, at least not anymore. The beat's 1.2 motor does not have that performance of other 1.2's in the market. Also the cars isnt as big as Swift, Polo and others.

May be that 1.0litre engine of Spark if tuned properly will make a very good BEAT.

Read an advert. in newspaper today' date=' says Beat for ~3.50L all inclusive.[/quote']

...also with the 'Chevy Promise'. Just came up after coffee and reading the ad in the 'Hindu'. I wonder why Chevy isn't able to sell cars despite this 1,00,000 kms warranty, 3 years free service, consumables and labor; covers all except tyres, battery and accidental damage. I find that very comprehensive and still people are not taking to Chevy products by the droves.

Read an advert. in newspaper today' date=' says Beat for ~3.50L all inclusive.[/quote']...also with the 'Chevy Promise'. Just came up after coffee and reading the ad in the 'Hindu'. I wonder why Chevy isn't able to sell cars despite this 1,00,000 kms warranty, 3 years free service, consumables and labor; covers all except tyres, battery and accidental damage. I find that very comprehensive and still people are not taking to Chevy products by the droves.

Well the Chevy promise was not offered on Beat earlier so we cant say that there is no good effect of offer, i think after this offer their sales are gonna increase definately, lets see what this offer does to GM.

HiBeat was a much awaited car but its sale have not picked up since january. probably this is due to the tought competition it is facing from i10 and Maruti Suzuki A-Star. A-Star was launched in 2008and now Maruti has launched its Automatic version in 2010. This hatchback from maruti promises to deliver a mileage of 19km/l and hence is leading the race as of now!

Well A-star never really took off from the start' date=' & Beat is better overall car with better looks, quality, comfort, features & price though its engine & driveability isnt as great. You really cant say that its leading, infact Maruti is trying hard to get some sales by offering new variants, discounts, etc. Also the Auto has been launched now only so we are yet to see some good sales of that variant. Your opinion seems totally totally bias.

Cheaper does not make a car sell more, at least not anymore. The beat's 1.2 motor does not have that performance of other 1.2's in the market. Also the cars isnt as big as Swift, Polo and others. May be that 1.0litre engine of Spark if tuned properly will make a very good BEAT.

Though swift is a segment above & looks big but frankly speaking i find Beat's rear seat more comfortable, also to me it isnt a segment above as Beat offers almost everything as of Swift but still its not considered as premium hatch. Beat doesnt feels as cramped as Swift, just my opinion.

Now that they have given out Officially the Chevy Promise on Beat (even though it is till this month-end), the Beat may now find more buyers.  But, what about the second gear sluggishness ?  As long as that problem persists, buyers may be having second thoughts. 

Only Beat owners can vouch whether the second gear sluggishness is really an impediment while driving.  I wish they will do something on a priority basis.

Some points I'd like to mention :

Those who say , Beat needs a diesel , I say amongst the top four cars , which feature in the monthly sales figures , three have only petrol engines. I'm mentioning these , because , it's squarely aimed at the customers who go for wagon R and i10 . So I think diesel engine is not a concern.

The problem is , the engine isn't as smooth and refined as the Kappa and K - Series , although it is refined than the 1 liter K - Series , Kappa is an overall better engine. Secondly, the gearing is a bit tall for 2nd and 3rd gears. Mid - range isn't very strong . And short 5th gear saps up the fuel economy.

For those who say styling is a bit aggressive , true , but when Swift was launched , same was said , and look where it is now.

For those who say it is cramped , just check out the back seats , it has got ample of head room and legroom. The problem that I found , is that the front seats are a bit low, and visibility isn't that great. Secondly , the rear window is too small , smaller than the one found on Swift.

For those who say boot space , even wagon R has 180 liter boot compared to 170 on Beat.

For those who say it is underpowered ,

Beat :

0-60 : 6.13

0-100 : 14.86

top whack : 159

20-80 : 15.99

40-100 : 22.43

wagon R :

0-60 : 6.48

0-100 : 16.9

top whack : 152

20-80 : 15.69

40-100 : 23.56

i10 :

0-60 : 5.35

0-100 : 13.02

top whack : 151

20-80 : 15.52

40-100 : 29.92

Source for figures : ACI

The biggest problem that I feel is , Chevrolet is still not considered as a hatchback maker. Chevy needs to do a huge brand building process , to establish itself as a major player.

It seems Beat's second gear acceleration problem has been sorted by a software fix for the ECU. One of my friends got it done during his second service. In-gear acceleration is better now it seems (specially 2nd gear)

It seems Beat's second gear acceleration problem has been sorted by a software fix for the ECU. One of my friends got it done during his second service. In-gear acceleration is better now it seems (specially 2nd gear)

Good information dear.

Can we have some more and a detailed information on this, as it may help all the existing BEAT owners and even those who are about to buy one ?