NAREN64

Damaged Car Sold As New

I'm surprised that Davinder wants to settle for a brand new Honda City after the experience. I'd look away from the brand and dealer. I'd like to see if Drift Punk can throw light on this info as he is from Chd. The dealer must have been revoked of his license to deal with Honda or any other vehicle for that matter. How come they bought a Honda City for such a cut price: probably the clients also knew they were buying an accident write off, before hand.

Haha. As a matter of fact I got my car from the same dealer and they have a much better reputation than the other dealer (Harmony Honda). I read the news in the newspaper myself and was shocked. The sales advisor is a close friend of mine and I will checkup with him to know about the exact details of the matter.

My experiences with the dealership are top notch. Quality of service offered is high as in a city like Chandigarh, the type of people who live here and the type of service demanded, Prestige Honda (Lally Automobiles) is performing pretty good.

But ofcourse there can be something wrong somewhere. Maybe they have messed up with the database of the car which had been sold, because a company like HONDA, who has unrivalled reputation, is not known for such things.

As far as I can conclude from the newspaper report, this can be a news to pressurize the dealer over something or with some other motive. I am, ofcourse, on the side of the dealer. The car buyer while buying the car should make sure that the car he is buying is new and check thoroughly. I'm sure he did not have the ACI-checklist with him while buying the car, otherwise he would have easily found out!

At least thy are not doing what Skoda/Nummer Eins are doing. Appeal the consumer court verdict.

More seriously I have seen this info on another forum as well. Very poor show by Honda - I do not differentiate between the dealer and the firm. The former is the front end of the latter. Let us hope they knock a few heads together.

The fact that VW are buttonholing Honda dealerships gives a feeling that Honda are one of the better lot.

@driftpunk - How can we expect a layman to have a checklist and ensure he gets a new model? Very few actually do that, even if you have the list with you. In general, you trust the dealer and manufacturer to give you a brand new product, especially Honda. I do not know what happened in this specific case though.

The Price is the main factor to me here, I was also looking for a ANHC during that time of October 2009, the Price for a basic model on road was Rs.9.6L. How come he would have got it for 8L. I heard that the Road Taxes in Chd are very cheap, read in another forum it was Rs.2500.00 for all cars(not confirmed) might be driftpunk can confirm this.

Yes the road taxes are cheap. I got mine registered for Rs.2600. Yes that is quite a debatable thing written -- 8 lakhs. Maybe they have roughly written the figures rather than specifying the exact figures. I got mine for 8.75 L. The car was somewhere around 8.53 L, ICICI Lombard - 20k, Registration = 2500/- . So there can be an error in the 8L mentioned rather than writing the whole exact figures. As far as I remember, the E model was discontinued that time and only S and V models were available. I bought my car on 25th September 2009.

Talking about detecting everything at the delivery time. Now we have the answer to why a thorough PDI is necesary by the buyer . Although it is obvious that the car one is buying is brand new but the inspection is something that a sensible car buyer would definitely do. Checking the underbody and the hood.

Anyway, I'll definitely checkup with the dealer and ask the authenticity of it

I think the best clue of all is the date of manufacture - See Wildon's notes on decoding. Mine was EA - May 2010, delivered on 1 June 2010!

A good detailer can do an excellent job of masking the age. He is a pro, we are not.

sgiitk2010-09-09 10:08:18

So, all this sorbid episode boils down to a couple of things :

1.  All new car buyers should (and must) know how to check thoroughly

all aspects (inovices, physical condition of the car, history of the car -

if available - like in this case, etc., etc.,) preferably with the help of a

friend/mechanic who knows how to check all these details. 

3.  This may not be to the liking of the buyer or the seller or even the

onlookers.  But, to be safe, each buyer should and must do this.

4.  We can no longer depend upon the integrity of Dealers (of any brand,

however big or reknowned or well established they may be).

In the light of the foregoing, I think, I can consider myself lucky to have bought a Xylo E8 when it was just launched ?  In fact, my Xylo was the first vehicle to be delivered in AP.  And, it took me slightly longer time to get it registered as the relative technical details were not available either in  Hyderabad/ Secunderabad/ Chittoor or Tirupati RTA offices to register this vehicle. 

This again proves the age old saying - "CAVEAT EMPTOR"

meaning "LET THE BUYER BE AWARE" in any financial transaction.

rameshbabu.n2010-09-09 10:42:58

Hehehe. Rameshbabu. Nice points there.

But maybe sometimes a persons gets unlucky!

But what I think has happened is that they have messed up the database records and maybe they have fed the details of a wrong car into a wrong place. This thing may have the highest possibility.

The said dealer Lally Motors/Prestige Honda is a monopoly dealer in Punjab. Its a well known fact that Monopoly dealers can't deliver the best of services.

Agreed 100% with SG, I too do not differentiate between dealership & Company.

I've had my own sour experiences with Lally Motors, very high-headed operations. They are known to have Political links through which they got the dealerships too.

Vowed never to deal with them in future & thus went Honda out of the window because of monopoly status.

I read the article in the above posted link. Firstly S-AT was not even on sale at that time. It was discontinued abd V AT was introduced. Infact S-AT had been discontinued in August. Also you dont even get an SX4 automatic for 8 lakhs, there is no way one could get ANHC S AT for 8 lakhs.

There is a chance that the dealer might be right here if the said information is true.

I agree with others as even I have seen the effect that takes place if the dealer loses his monopoly.

Also he could not have been fooled by saying that is the actual price of the car, as the first thing they do when you enter their showrooms is hand you the price list.

There you go.

Auto dealer refutes allegations

Lally Automobiles vice-president claimed that the company had already informed the buyer that it was an old car

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, September 8

Reacting to the registration of a case of cheating, forgery and criminal conspiracy registered against three employees of Lally Automobiles Phase I, Industrial Area, for selling an old car to a Sector 56 resident, the vice-president of the company refuted the charges claiming that the company had already informed the buyer that it was an old car.

Rajeev Khullar, vice-president of Lally Automobiles, said the company had sold a Honda City S-AT car, which was used for demonstration purpose to Kamaljit Kaur for Rs 8 lakh against the ex-showroom price of Rs 9,07,000 at that time.

They had already explained to the customer about the condition of the car and Kamaljit was fully satisfied about the condition of the car sold to her on

One of my friends had similarly purchased an A-Star in Chennai from a Maruti Dealer.  He got it for an all-inclusive cost of Rs 2.0 lakhs (road tax paid, 10 months old vehicle with about 2,000 km on odometer).  It was a Display Car.

All three free services lapsed.  But, dealer gave a free one-year warranty with 3 free services thrown in.  White color, scratchless condition.  I too had inspected the car.  It was perfect.  And, we have decided to buy it immediately and the sale took place in less than 48 hours.  That way almost 15 months back.  Absolutely, no probs. 

Usually such Display Cars or Demo Cars are better than Test Drive Cars.  DCs are meant for display purposes only.  These are relatively safe for purchase as they come with RoadTax paid, insurance paid, bare minimal mileage and in factory fresh condition (they are wiped daily by the showroom staff and polished very often to keep them in good shining condition).  As the TD Cars are given for anyone to test drive it, they are to be avoided however cheap the dealer may quote. 

In this case, the customers might have taken a TD Car.   Fully aware of the facts (if not, the odometer should have not shown a 18,000+ km reading).

They must have taken a gamble.  Road tax (approx 1 lakh), Insurance (approx 25,000-) included for a City AT car for only 8.0 lakhs.  That's a discount of almost 2.25 lakhs.  Why will a Dealer give such a discount if it is only a `Demo Car' ?  It must have been a TD Car (that explains the accidents and the odo run of 18,000+ KMs).

@DD - Mayne, I just love it when I'm able to put my thoughts through to all of you! DD you are one of the few men on this forum who have analytical and logical thinking.

-Others -- Due to one FAKE pressurizing report about Prestige Honda, people came right away to bash. Hahaha! I like it. Hello?? Where are you guys now?? One friggin small report and BOOM come the bashers!

We are here on this forum to help each other and share views. I told you all that Prestige Honda has a prestige reputation and therefore it enjoys monopoly despite there being other dealers also.

Gut. The dealer have saved both their own and Honda's prestige! I hope public apology is demanded from the complainant, and delivered. We must be fair both ways.

sgiitk2010-09-10 11:22:50

Others -- Due to one FAKE pressurizing report about Prestige Honda' date=' people came right away to bash. Hahaha! I like it. Hello?? Where are you guys now?? One friggin small report and BOOM come the bashers!
We are here on this forum to help each other and share views. I told you all that Prestige Honda has a prestige reputation and therefore it enjoys monopoly despite there being other dealers also. [/quote']

You are sounding more like a dealer mouthpiece. Just because some worker at the dealership is known to you doesn't mean the dealership is clean.

I narrated my own bad experience with the dealer, not related to the news story. Its a well known fact that monopoly corrupts, be it any.

Also, let me tell you, we over here trust our members more than any outsiders(dealers). Any classification of members or personal attacks are taken in a bad light.

First you come up with things like dealer bashers, etc. Then you deny being a dealer mouthpiece! Wait till you have an experience with a dealer of your own!

Lets see how the legal course works, selling a used car is different & selling a used + Accidental car is different. I think no one would buy a dealer used + accidental car for such a sum. So, it seems the dealer held the truth about the vehicle involved in Accident & too a couple of times.

Lets see how the legal course works' date=' selling a used car is different & selling a used + Accidental car is different. I think no one would buy a dealer used + accidental car for such a sum. So, it seems the dealer held the truth about the vehicle involved in Accident & too a couple of times.

[/quote']

Will any us accept the same, or would we support the dealer.

driftpunk

In this thread nobody has bashed Honda nor the dealer. All have given their suggestions, opinions and their own experiences.
NAREN642010-09-11 05:42:23

I agree with BF; the dealer should have clearly advised the buyer that it was a used car with x000 km on the clock! Did he do that? If not then he is guilty of misrepresentation of facts. Since both parties are being 'economical with the truth' it is difficult to say.