vineet

Advice ~ vehicle for a family of 6

Hello Everyone!

Writing today as am facing a very peculiar problem.

I am in market to buy a car/SUV/MUV which can take my family of 6 around comfortably!!

Basically need something which is comfortable & good performer (preferably Diesel) as my driving is heavy (around 3K/month) & i drive on my own.

Some facts :--

Having owned the Innova (actually 2) previously, clearly sidelined the same & totally not in favor of the Xylo (don't like the looks at all)

Endeavour -- The family was not comfortable with last row due to the elevated floor & also being bumpy in the back

Fortuner -- Another option which has gone out of contention due to LONG waiting periods (Intending to buy within this month or max next month)

Santa Fe -- Not sure if a hyundai at 22+ lakhs is worth it?

Yeti -- Though a 5 seater but can use the back space provided it is worth the space

BMW X1 -- Will not be around till December

So Plz help suggest what will be the best bet for me. Budget was around 20 Lakhs odd.

Can wait till next month but not in a position for indefinite waitvineet2010-09-11 15:57:06

@vineet: How's your Cruze? My suggestion would be Fortuner or if you wait try out the Santa Fe. X1/ Yeti are strictly 5 seaters. How about Xylo if you want to go a little VFM. Or if have money to splurge Merc R Class. smiley4.gif. Actually beyond Innova and Xylo choice is very limited.

Durango Dude2010-09-11 18:21:49

The only vehicle you left out is the Captiva .Overall its a great softroader and seat 7 comfortably .You also get automatic option which the one to go if you drive in traffic .Since you own cruze the engine will be the same and the maintainance cost will be marginally higher .

Fortuner is an excellent vehicle with brand value but over all from inside you won't be excited as its more of a grown up Innova (interiors) .

If the requirement is just moving people around then innova is the best one. But if you are budget friendly and touring/highway travels are on your mind then either the ford endeavour or the Chevy captiva are the two options. 

Thanks all for views!!

Durango -- Cruze is doing very well & i am very pleased with it. Though my dad uses it more & more now & one of the reason why i am looking for vehicle for self :)

Creates more issues after you move from a vehicle like Cruze, you tend to look for performance from every vehicle

Guys, have had enough of Innova after owning 2 already & yes for sure i don't have money to splurge on Merc's too

As for Xylo as i said i don't like its look at all!!

Endeavour was one option i looked at but the rear seat was very bumpy for the size of the vehicle

I was told that Captiva has some heavy Maintenance bills after initial 30K odd & also its resale value is pretty sad.

Seems like i will have to wait to see how Santa Fe turns up & at what cost. smiley2.gifsmiley2.gif

When you have eliminated Innova, Xylo, Endeavour, Fortuner, Santa Fe, Yeti and BMW X1, what left is only CAPTIVA.  At just a shade under 20.00 lakhs, it will fit your requirements perfectly.  Go for the auto transmission model.  Captiva is a car-like monocoque.  So, you would enjoy the drive.  Moreover, there are not many compaints about the GM's service either.   Go for Captiva.

The last row of Endeavour is absolutely terrible and only siutable for kids. I have experienced that personally and think its best avoided if you will be using the third row frequently.

Consider the Outlander. As Rahul said, it has some positive reviews.

Or on the lower side since you dont like the Xylo, consider the Scorpio.

A third option would be to wait for the Mahindra W201 which will be revealed in the coming months. No idea when it launches though.

I was told that Captiva has some heavy Maintenance bills after initial 30K odd & also its resale value is pretty sad.
Seems like i will have to wait to see how Santa Fe turns up & at what cost.

30K for captiva ? maybe that would be after 50K km , at that time this cost should include replacement of spare-parts like clutch plate and disk pads, i don't think clutch plate should give in around 50K km.

have owned one and sold it , resale is not as bad as you think. Dealers and people just say that captiva has bad resale value but when you hunt for a second hand you suddenly catch the bluff.

Hyundai hasn't been successful in 10 lakh+ vehicals.

A facelift Captiva 2.2 is expected , so u might get gr8 discount on present model .

@vineet;

IMO, you've to go with Captiva only as you've quoted Outlander is also a Strict 5-Seater. 

As Captiva is having -ve points, but I'm sure other will also be having too, but only Captiva are highlighted only because its Chevrolet badged. 

But IMO, its a good vehicle with Powerful engine, Comfortable Interiors & Immense presence too..