sujith3120

Braking issues on swifts / dzires

Hey folks,

I need some feedback on a certain braking issue that I'm facing with my Dzire. Its a 2008 model, Diesel, VDI, have done about 32,000kms.
One Majot grouse that I had right from Day one was a very cranky braking noise , mostly when your drive upslope or downslope. I was told that most of the swifts have this issue, especially the diesel ones. The dealer replaced the brake pads free of cost during my 10,000km service. H/ever the problem persisted and I just left it since it caused no major issues.
What is alarming is that on two instances on a very slight wet surface , I was just doing 70-80kmph, i had applied brakes and the vehicle just didnt stop, it seems that the wheels just got locked! I dont have ABS since I bought the car when it was launched and there was no option of VDI with ABS.
Also, there is some strange humming noise which the engineers attribute to tyre noise! The tyres seem to be in reasonable condition and the mechanics themselves state that it can run another 10,000KM, but I'm not convinced.
I had wheel bearings checked and even replaced the brake disc and the pads. And this incident of the wheels getting locked happened after that. The reason I changed the disc and the brakes was that when I slowed down from say 120 or 140, there was heavy wobbling at the front. Now that problem has ceased to exist, but this wheel locking has left me alarmed and I'm even contemplating on selling my car { though I just dont want due to lack of funds for a new one and at best I can get a punto or a figo if I sell this car}.

My question is --> is the above issue due to the quality of the Stock JK tyres, which Many people have said are pathetic? Or is it just the nature of this car?
Why should the wheels get locked even on a very slight wet surface?
Pls share your thoughts !

Thread moved.

BornFree2010-09-13 16:04:12

JK tornados will last for 20000km only. Replacing them with better tyres is recommended. Do not buy JKs this time when you will change.

Regarding brake trouble, all your rotors and pads seems to be new. The only thing to check is the brake oil. Brake oil if not changed for a year or so should be immediately bleeded and replaced. Humidity and foreign materials inside brake oil can cause improper braking and can be of serious concern, so check the brake oil level for a substantial fall.

Moreover, alignment and balancing needs to be checked too. That can be one reason of too much tyre noise and other sounds.Also check the front suspension arms for any bent or damage. If the wear of tyres are not uniform then there is a hint of suspension trouble.

Quality of JK tornados are bad, not all JKs though. Now these are all possible cases that can cause the troubles you mentioned. Just go to MAS and check all such possibilities. There is no need to sell your car.

Swift & DZire LXi, LDi, VXi, VDi's are heard to having Wheel locking on Braking & Poor Road Grip problem with Stock 165-Section tyres on Non-ABS versioned cars, but Not upto that extent as you've mentioned with your Swift.

Rather than Selling it, as a last option -I advice you to replace its tyres from stock size to 165 to 175 or 185 section tyres.

I'm sure upto the level of your Safety, your problem will be resolved. 

As your car doesn't have ABS as mentioned, the narrow section tyres and rear drum brakes will increase it's stopping distance and make it prone to wheel lock. Upsizing the tyre will be the only choice available to you and take it to Maruti ASS for a good check of the brakes. Take a second opinion at some other service centre in case the problem persists. 

I would attribute this skidding issue to its heavier front( esp MJD) and light weight body. IMHO DZire would be better, as its slightly heavier. Now the only soln available is go for some decent tyres. Change 5 or 4 tyres to 185/70/14 tyres from Michilin XM1+ or Yoko A Drive or Apollo Acellere( in the above order).

Now if you buy 4 Michilin tyres, you will get a mobile phone free.

Go for a tyre upgrade of 195/60R15 and upsize to alloys of 15" steel wheel that way you will get more feel and the braking distance will be less .Try michlein PLC tyres ,they are expensive but well worth the money you pay for them.,

Even i've a Dzire Ldi. I'd a similar problem when i braked at 140kmph. I narrowly escaped. Last week when i braked at 120 kmph also i felt that the breaking distance is just too long. I've driven 20000km so far so stil  time to change the tyres.

I think all the Dzires have this problem