Aditi

Should i buy this second hand car ?

One of my dads friend  is offering me his octavia, 2.0 litre petrol engine, 2004 Model, it has only run 18000 kms, He his an old man who just drives from home to office which is  like five kms each way. Recently he claims that he put new tyres and changed the battery. The average is about 6kms. He is asking for 2.75 lacks, Is this value for money. Is it a steel ?? if i sell it after a year, how much would i get ?

He has got alot more offers from others, but he giving me the first prefrence, he is giving time till tommorow morning to decide. So guys please reply asap.

It should be priced below Rs 3L as it is a petrol Skoda that depreciates faster. Being a 2004 model it is already 6 years old and a generation older now.No doubt Rs 2.75L is reasonable rather very reasonable.

despite the fact tht it was owned properly it will need spares and repairs for which Skoda dealers spring several surprises. the cost of spares and repairs are exorbitant.

With a budget of Rs 3L plus there are other choices in the market like the brand new Alto K10, i 10, Wagon R, and so on.

These new buys will be definitely better choices for you.

anjan_c20072010-09-18 17:33:05

With a budget of Rs 3L plus there are other choices in the market like the brand new Alto K10' date=' i 10, Wagon R, and so on.

These new buys will be definitely better choices for you.

[/quote']

Remember, you are saying this to a person who has already owned a BMW X6

I dont care for the cars... dont care for the small ones... Just picking it up for fun sake.

I love rash driving, cutting through and all thats stuff... So this car would be like a junkie car for me. Thinking of buying it becuase i got an extra parking space free, so whenever i get kicks i will use this car.

But it should be value for money.

It's definitely a good deal but have a Skoda mech go thru' it with a fine comb. Skoda parts are pricey. But the engine is good and torquey. The other person on this forum who owns Skoda 2.0 gasoline engine is Subzero, he had good things to say about the car.

I dont care for the cars... dont care for the small ones... Just picking it up for fun sake.

I love rash driving' date=' cutting through and all thats stuff... So this car would be like a junkie car for me. Thinking of buying it becuase i got an extra parking space free, so whenever i get kicks i will use this car.

But it should be value for money.
[/quote']

OHC VTEC can be bought for the above mentioned things. For the exact budget, you can get a decent car with superior reliability & mileage.

so whenever i get kicks i will use this car.

For Occassional Fun to Drive usage Octavia Petrol is a Good car, but already being a 6-years Old car, Parts Reliability might crop up as an Issue soner or later.

So if you're going with it, be prepare to 'loose your Pocket a Bit' every time she goes into the Trouble or during Skoda Service centre visits..

And also its quite a long time, since this Petrol-engined version is discontinued, so you might get some of its Engine/Gearbox related parts not that much easily. 

Rest Our forum's member cum Skoda Dealer-Skoda JMD can give full details of it.

Where are you Skoda JMD ??

dr_nishu2010-09-18 21:15:44

I dont care for the cars... dont care for the small ones... Just picking it up for fun sake.   I love rash driving' date=' cutting through and all thats stuff... So this car would be like a junkie car for me. Thinking of buying it becuase i got an extra parking space free, so whenever i get kicks i will use this car.  But it should be value for money.[/quote']

If you dont care for the small cars, need a big car becuase you got a  parking space free, and to drive only when you get kicks, then why bother about the VFM factor ?

In my opinion, the talk of costly spares or big holes in purse etc., will not hold much water with you. 

So, go ahead and buy it.   As you say, it is used less, used carefully and is being offered to you on a preferred basis.  If the car is not in good condition, he would not have offered to you as there were other better offerers. 

I think, you should buy it.

@aditi: You are promoting irresponsible driving! This is wrong and not acceptable.

Let this be a public warning to all that such irresponsible behaviour will not be accepted. Your avatar is being flagged with 'Warned'.

Moderation Team.

sgiitk2010-09-19 07:03:39