lineshshah

Scoop:GM-SAIC to launch new TAVERA in India

Hope GM india doesn't make a mess of itself by lauching these china cars here. I mean Gm always launches a car with big fanfare. Then sales slow down and they give a big price cut. With chinese vehicles they'd better be sure to concentrate on their so called premium vehicles cruze and captiva otherwise urban buyers would desert Gm india.

Omni and Eeco manage anywhere between 10000-15000 units a month. GM wants to cut a slice of that pie for themselves and for that I think this product is a decent option.

Obviously we cant expect it to have world class quality or performance but I bet it will have a very very low price. Right move by GM.

it looks nice, very like the xylo.

if they launching it with the 1.2 liter engine here just to reduce costs it will be definitely underpowered. 1.4 liter will be better.

but getting a chinese car here!!! i'm not sure whether that is a good move.

lets all of us watch and see what happens.

one thing for sure they'll price  it under 7 lacs to attract buyers

is this a joke ' date=' 131 nm toque for a full size MPV ? GM has lost it or this is a rumor[/quote']

Not a big Surprise..

Considering the fact that Omni chugs all the 7-8 passengers with mere 61 Nm of torque(http://www.marutiomni.com/family/specs_specification.asp)

& Eeco with 101Nm only.

But 131Nm for this GM-Monster Van seems just Adequate.
dr_nishu2010-09-20 19:48:10

Chinese products are not exactly bestsellers in some areas, just because they are cheap.  Remember those brown-silver dead-cheap batteries at a fraction of the cost of regular Novino/Eveready/Nippo pen cells ?  After a test-buy or two, the consumers have shunned these cheapest products as the quality was horrible to avoidable.  Today, hardly such batteries are sold.  Similarly, remember the rush of those Chinese Motorcycles ?  Sold at around 25K to 30K (as against the going rates of around 40K to 50K), these were brought and sold by a variety of importers.  Where are they now ?  They could not even stay for one quarter (leave alone a year). 

I expect the GM's honeymoon with such cheap Chinese Cars (ummm.. MPVs) will not be a success, if we go by the past experiences of such cheap products in our market.  Unlike in China (which is predominantly a buy-use-throw type of market), our market is predominantly a buy-use-repair-use-repair-use-repair-use-repair type.  Chinese products do not give out any spares.  Only finished products are exported.  So, GM has got to be very cautious.  And, the Indian buyers should be very very cautious while going in for such great-looking-cheap-cars.    
rameshbabu.n2010-09-21 05:16:01

If we go to US, the entire economy is filled with Chinese or Made in China  'Good Quality' products.

GMs presence in China is well known thru Shanghai auto and Wuling - as per the sources, this is kind of a trade of for the almost 50% stake SAIC now hold in GM India.

Surely, GMs global processes should take care of the product quality and performance. Sadly, the petrol version preceeds the diesel.

Expect more SAIC cars from SAIC thru GM India