Colin Goodwin

Top 10 bikes

The four wheel enthusiasts have run a top ten of the most gorgeous cars of all time. Time for us bikers to do the same I think. Here's my list:

1) Ducati 916

2) MV Agusta F4

3) Honda RC30

4) 1978 Ducati 900SS

5) 1966 Triumph T120 Bonneville

6) Moto Guzzi MKI Le Mans

7) Honda CB400F

8) Kawasaki Z900

9) Egli Vincent

10) Benelli Tornado

My list in no particular order-

Honda CB 400 Super Dream

Yamaha RX 100

Honda VFR 800

Honda CB 1300

Suzuki GSR 600

Kawasaki ZX 12R

Suzuki Hayabusa

Hero Honda CBZ

Yamaha WR 450

Honda MTX 125

These are the bikes I have owned, I have had a chance to ride and race quite a few more.

Yamaha RD350, my all time favorite and my first bike.

Yamaha RZ-500, best 2 stroke monster.

Yamaha FZ-750, excellent 5 valves per cylinder Genesis engine.

Yamaha FZR-750R, first all aluminum deltabox frame launched, hard core version of FZ750.

Yamaha FZR-1000R, superb bike, most powerful in its time.

My current ride, HONDA RC45, monster 160bhp from 750cc V4, award winning bike, based on legendary RC30.

I have also ridden Yamaha V Max and Honda Magna and rate them unique. Also the Ducati 998, one of the sweetest handling bikes.

I am 43 years old now, lots of pain from previous close meet with the tarmac, only sentiment makes me keep my RC45 although the new Yamaha R1 is tempting me like hell.Gurkha2007-11-28 11:33:57

In no particular order:

- Honda RC45

- Honda VFR800 Gen 5 (biased, coz i just got one :P and its the most complete bike)

- Suzuki GSXR1000 K6

- Honda Fireblade (The first one, coz it was the milestone that lead us into the modern sbk era)

- Ducati 996SP (simply one of the best looking bikes ever made)

- Ducati 1098 (worthy successor to the 916/996 with looks to die for)

- Kawasaki zx12r. (faster than the busa, without the baboon butt looks)

- Suzuki Katana GSX1100 (1982.)

- Honda CB400 F

- Any harley (for comic relief)

When I was at Car magazine (where I first came across Hormazd) we had an RC45 on long term test for a month. The very tall first gear was a bit annoying in London but fine outside the city. I nearly wrote it off outside Kings Cross station racing the editor on his Fireblade.

Good bike, but not as good as the RC30.

The RC45 is the evolution of the RC30, I have raced both, the RC45 gets my vote even though the its far less forgiving than the RC30. Not only does the RC45 develop more power and I mean way more, its also technically far more advanced. I actually waited for the RC45s release to buy one even though plenty of RC30 was available cheaper during that same period.

The RC30 though has far predictable handling, come hot in a corner and it will let you scrub off speed gracefully, not on the 45, it allows more cornering speed at the cost of less feedback and far more edginess.