dr_nishu

Face-lifted Hyundai i20: launched

I have to say that this is the most subtle fludic model change in the Hyundai line up and looks good but the people with older looks won't be that much bothered by it as well .

Any new interior pics of the refreshed car anyone? Also did they install the kappa 2 in this model ? Also the most important thing is that the AC compressor size has been increased from the 90 cc in the previous model .

Yeah.. the existing i20 owners wont mind this facelift. Isn't a radically different design like the old Vs new Verna.

The bonnet looks like its taken its design from the Toyota Altis...

A VTVT will sit in the engine bay for sure. On the interiors, maybe a couple of additions but I can see a Micra-inspired feature as well here in these photographs. It has the keyless entry request button on its driver-side door.

What is strange is that this i20 doesn't have side turn indicators on its ORVMs. Pretty sure that will get corrected at its launch?

The 1.1L U Diesel engine is a 3-cylinder version of the 1.5L U series unit and is made with cast iron block and aluminum cylinder head with chain driven DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder, Bosch common rail direct injection (CRDi), variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) and intake air swirl control. Bore and Stroke are 75 mm x 84.5 mm. It creates an impressive 74 hp (55 kW; 75 PS) at 4,000 rpm and 112 lb

Where are the chocolate brown interiors?? Its suddenly gone gray-silver!! I'd say, bring back the chocolate brown interiors and give the steering a leather and faux wood finish. Or even better, with the new interiors, a black leather and black faux wood combo steering wheel. Would look the best!!

Although, I feel, the steering wheel has a lot of buttons on it... Doesn't seem to be a desirable facelift altogether. Needs to be seen what new equipment they offer.

They have had the black silver interior in production for the European market . India will definately get the choco brown - beige interior .

Also the steering wheel already is leather wrapped but it doesn't look and feel like it does . The button on the bottom are for cruise control and the other one are already present in the current gen i20 . I hope that in India Hyundai launch the new i20 with added ESP and MID with fuel read out and last but not least better AC and suspension tuning.

What about the pricing? are they going to closly match new swift so that can give strong competition to it?

Hyundai has never been one to steal show with pricing, and I dont think this will be the case. Plus, since i20 is bigger than Swift, it will leverage some benefits there. What the i20 petrol needs to watch out here is the Honda Jazz.

Now that Honda factory is coming back up rapidly, I expect Jazz to heavily publicised, especially compare it to top end Swift and mid variants of other cars like i20, Polo etc and show that they lack safety features, or in Swift's case space. Sorry if I went a little OT here.

I hate the big panel gap under the bonnet it really spoils the looks of the car . DRLs are a first in the segment I guess .The older tail lamp design is still the better looking one . Finally the blackened B pillar make it look classy and more upmarket . Hope that they have sorted the suspension out in the petrol varients.

We will rarely get smaller turbo charger petrol engines in hatchbacks because of the complexity  and also because we have massive variation in the fuel quality all over india ,if one engine part fails then the brands reputation goes to low and replacing the complex parts is very expensive .

The current I20 is quite striking to look at. This new one on the other hand has a very busy front end with a host different geometric designs all clubbed together to scream "look at me". As much as I like the front headlamps, the rest of the face is just too loud for my liking. Something like a girl with seductive eyes carrying a french beard smiley36.gif . The side profile is not too different than the current one and the rear bumpers are just treated with a hammer. I had always felt that the I20 needed a facelift as it has been around for quite sometime but now after seeing how serious Hyundai has become with the Fluidic theme, I wished they hadn't changed the original design.

New Hyundai i20 launched

Updated i20 features revised styling and comes with three engine options, prices start at Rs 4.73 lakh.

ziQkHl.jpg

Hyundai has launched the updated i20. The new version is called the i-Gen i20.

The refreshed car gets a light dose of Hyundai

Feature options would have to be examined. Magna & Magna(O) in diesel look ok, Sports & Asta make it too premium for a hatch.

Thread Title Edited.
BornFree2012-03-29 15:00:32

@ Nishu: Do all the safety features (that you have mentioned in your post) will come in ERA, MAGNA variants as well or just in Magna (o) and above?

Sstar2012-03-29 14:17:05

@ Nishu: Do all the safety features (that you have mentioned in your post)?will come in ERA' date=' MAGNA variants as well or just in Magna (o) and above?

[/quote']

Rear Disc brakes are now the part of i20 CRDi post-MAGNA variants. I'm not sure about ERA though.

But ABS & Twin Airbags are standard across SPORTZ & ASTA(top-end) variant.

I believe that this is not the proper fluidic design trend as seen among the newer hyundai. Seems more like a petty facelift with fluidic touches to bumpers. The lights look the same as in i10, only a bit less angular. The fogs are the only prominent change other than the bumper. All body panels are the same

From design POV, Eon, New Verna and sonata scores more.

sb-alto2012-03-30 07:26:33

Its good to see that the sport get ABS and all wheel disc brakes . Now who will buy the ASTA varient anyways . The pricing has seen a decline but I think nowaday the diesel and petrol sales are equal . When I bought the CRDi the ratio was 1:3 . Any one knows what CC is the new AC compressor ?