arsurendran

Help me decide: SX4 or Vento

First time buyer in India, have owned Camry while in US.

My budget was around 7L, but have come up now to 9L.

Usage  - Chennai city driving mostly, occasional long drives - will certainly be less than 1000km/month - so based on general advise, considering petrol version only.

Prime factors in deciding: Economy, Comfort (family of 4+), Safety, Resale value.

I almost booked SX4 Zxi today (quoted 8.75L with discount) - but then a friend asked me to take a look at Vento. I like both - but Vento will cost me additional 75K.

Please help me decide. Appreciate your time.

Thanks.

Also to add on waiting period - the SX4 (we were thinking of Azure Gray) is in stock - Vento, there is a two to three months wait period.

The VW sales person was telling that nowadays SX4 resale value is not that good and there are plenty seconds waiting in market. Is there any truth in it or is it just a marketing pitch.

Thats just a marketing pitch. SX4 enjoys a commendable resale value, second in the segment only to Honda City, and also given the much cheaper service and spare costs, you would definitely be saving more on SX4.

An additional 75k+ costly service+ a yet to be proven product will be much more even if the resale value of SX4 plumetted.

Vento maybe an overall better product but a 2-3 month waiting is just not justified. I like others recommend against it.

As Rahul said, H.City and M.S. SX4 command the highest resale value. Theres nohing for you to worry about.

SX4 may lack the finesse of the City and Vento but it is still a decent product that offers other positives that the City and Vento dont. Like cheaper maintainence.

SX4's VVT Petrol engine is much better than Vento's petrol engine in terms of Comfort, Refinement & probably Fuel efficiency too.

High-Speed Handling or at Sharp turns might suffer due to its Tall height, but nothing else bad with it.

Resale value of SX4 is good too, as others said 2nd after the Honda City.

Don't look further, Simply go for SX4 ZXi & Azure Grey is a good colour in it..

I totally and strongly agree with Rahul1810 about TD of the ANHC. It is anyday a better overall package then a SX4 and the City S MT may just about come in your budget. Surely take a close look at the ANHC before deciding. 

Sx4 is much robust car and very easy to drive also and you get better service an cheaper spare parts from Maruti and service interval is also spaced at 10000km.

Another DNA of SX4 is that it is made in collaboration with Fiat hence its ride and handling is like Linea if not 100% then at least 80% whereas Honda is no match plus you save money and also gets ACC and 16" wheels and wider tyres than ANHC. My comments are based on my experience of both the cars. I am also going for SX4 Auto next month .

Another DNA of SX4 is that it is made in collaboration with Fiat

When did Suzuki(Maruthi) collabrate with Fiat for SX4 model Car ? Please explain, I really do not know about this.
NAREN642010-10-06 12:26:38

The Fiat Sedici is a mini sport utility vehicle co-developed by Fiat and Suzuki mainly for the European market. The expected production volume is 60,000 units per year, 1/3 of these to be sold by Fiat and 2/3 of these to be sold by Suzuki, where it is badged as the SX4. The design was created by Giorgetto Giugiaro's Italdesign studio, and it is an alternative to mini multi-purpose vehicles (MPV), which have a more "boxy" appearance

Another DNA of SX4 is that it is made in collaboration with Fiat

?

When did Suzuki(Maruthi) collabrate with Fiat for SX4 model Car ? Please explain' date=' I really do not know about this.
[/quote']

Naren, Go to Fiat.com and look out for Seidci and you will understand.

Friends,

Really great and appreciate so many of you pitched in your advise. Looked and like ANHC as well, but am getting a good deal (I think!) with corporate discount on SX4 (Azure Gray) that is easy on my wallet and fits my budget, and going for it. Booking it tomorrow, delivery in couple of weeks. (Got this better deal with another dealer than the initial one who has it in stock now, but the savings is worth the wait).

So decided, no more confusion on this or that! It is meant to be SX4 for me!!

Am going to take some driving classes as well, as have been driving in US for long and so have to get used to right/left change and offcourse Chennai traffic!!!

You can continue to share your thoughts/advises. Very much appreciate them.

Naren, Go to Fiat.com and look out for Seidci and you will understand

I have seen the what you have said, the link is as follows

correct me if I am wrong. As I understand the Seidci is a SUV & SX4 is a Sedan.  I do not understand what collabration had Suzuki mad with Fiat for SX4. Photos as follows.

Seidci

sedici.jpg

SX4

marutisx4.jpg

Mods sorry for the Off Topic discussions, just want to clarify.
NAREN642010-10-06 13:53:12

Naren, all the car makers share something or other to cut R&D cost, hence this product.

As you know Fiat is a pioneer of CRDI engine and sold its technology to many others in their time of crises like Hyundai.

There were 20% of GM in Fiat and Suzuki at some period of time hence DDIS in Maruti..

I don't know about Vento, but it is advisable NOT TO GO FOR SX4. I have very bad experiences both with the vehicle and Maruti's response to customer complaints.

FIRST: The build quality is poor, though the engine is of average quality, noises come from different areas of its body even after only 2500 kms of running.

SECOND: With only 7000 kms, one of the dual horns has stopped working. THIRD: Today I noticed that the door locking has become dysfunctional.

Most pathetic, two of the 'authorised workshops' in Bhubaneswar were unable to rectify the body noise problem.

FOURTH: Maruti's corporate office has not responded to my complaints so far.

PLEASE CONSIDER THESE ISSUES BEFORE DECIDING ON SX4.

^^ +1 to that.

Body rattle is a known issue in SX-4.

For a through comparison between SX-4 & Vento interiors, you can refer to this month's ACI. Of course the shootout covered in ACI is between diesel variants but both SX-4 & Vento diesels are identical to petrol sibling in terms of exterior & interior.

Pl check the pricing in your city ,in Hyderabad we are getting OPTRA diesel for 6000 rupees less than SX4 diesel, or buy the basic model with 15 inch wheels as this has less diameter will have slight advantage in lowering gear ratios ,will sort out the issue on climbing slopes , speed breakers ,how ever Sx4 has the good rear seat comfort and being tall getting in &out is easier like innova

Hello arsurendran,

Congratulations on the booking of your SX4!! A wisest choice I must say.

I was just curious to know why you did not consider the SX4 Diesel?

And about the driving classes you start, very much needed for the Chennai traffic and the AT can help you in the current congestion.

About the service and quality of the SX4 is much appreciable and trust me today the SX4's are the least expensive on maintenance when you compare it with their Rivals.

The Honda City is the best choice for your budget and also considering the fact that it has to be a petrol.

It is the best selling petrol sedan at that price and has good resale value also. And add to that the legendary Honda brand name and the reliability - you have a great buy for the price.

The only thing that disappoints is the features.

Or, if you can wait , the best choice would be the New Ford Fiesta with the 1.6 petrol motor (7-9 lakhs) churning out 120 bhp and since its a mazda platform you can expect good build quality also.

+1 for Skoda Superb,I too agree that its the Honda City which is simply the best choice here,and it has enough grunt to keep you happy too.

Though,I would recommend you to once do check out the Fiat Linea T-Jet,I have tested it and I can assure you that this machine simply eclipses everything in the segment,if you are willing to try something really serious and new then have a look at it,else Honda City is obviously a tried and tested product.